*** How to obtain a bike license ***

Associate
And now it's Monday! How did it go?

And now its thursday :cry:... Lifes been absolutely crazy!!

It went really well actually, took a few turns around the track to get the clutch control back but after that it was literally like riding a bike!

The road ride was fun too. The lad that was with me kept forgetting to turn his indicators off so I constantly had the instructor barking 'INDICATORS' in my ear after every junction.

the instructor suggested another session on the 125 to get everything to 100%, then a session on the 600 to get used to a larger bike. Followed by the 3 sessions leading up to the MOD1 and 2.

If all goes to plan, i should have my full licence by the end of november (fingers crossed)

Soldato
Good luck!

I’ve finally started doing my A2-Full A. So far passed the mod 1 first time with another guy (also passed first time). Doddle on light xj6 they gave me.

but unfortunately failed mod 2 due to rookie mistake and a bit of a panic as a result. My fault so took it on the chin. Quite gutted though.

Retest in a few weeks so hopefully all goes well and then new bike for next year!

Last edited:
Associate
Good luck!

I’ve finally started doing my A2-Full A. So far passed the mod 1 first time with another guy (also passed first time). Doddle on light xj6 they gave me.

but unfortunately failed mod 2 due to rookie mistake and a bit of a panic as a result. My fault so took it on the chin. Quite gutted though.

Retest in a few weeks so hopefully all goes well and then new bike for next year!

Cheers buddy!

Congrats on passing MOD1, hopefully MOD2 goes better second time round.

I've got a couple of lessons this month in preparation for doing MOD1 and 2 in November providing my instructor has the space.

Transmission breaker
Don
I'm looking to learn to ride a motorcycle. When you do your CBT, are you provided with a bike and gear or do you need all your own gear/bike?

Most schools will provide a bike and helmet as a minimum if you are a new rider. In some cases they can also provide a motorcycle jacket and/or trousers if needed.

Its quite well covered here:
https://www.gov.uk/motorcycle-cbt/what-to-take

but to make it clear:
What to take to your course
Take your UK driving licence to your training course.

What you need to wear
You must wear:

• a motorcycle helmet that meets British safety standards (unless you’re Sikh and wearing a turban) - check if the training school will provide one
  • motorcycle boots or other sturdy footwear that supports and protects your ankles
  • textile or leather motorcycle trousers or heavy denim trousers
  • a textile or leather motorcycle jacket or a heavy denim jacket with several layers underneath
  • motorcycle gloves
Your course can be stopped and you can be charged to take it again if you do not wear suitable clothing.

Using your own moped or motorcycle
You cannot ride your own moped or motorcycle to the course unless you already have a CBT certificate - for example, if you’re taking CBT again before your current certificate expires.

You can be fined up to £1,000 and get up to 6 penalty points for riding if you do not have a valid CBT certificate.

Associate
I have recently done my CBT and the school I did mine through only supplied the Bikes, Due to Covid they wouldn't loan out Kit.

I had to buy Trousers+Jacket and a Helmet, fortunately I could use my work Boots but would definitely suggest buying proper Motorcycle boots.

Soldato
Finally passed my full A mod 2. So happy been so worried as failed it twice in a row both stupid faults.

The relief at the minute is just insane. Will link pass certificate later.
On2NxTJ.png

Made me realise both how easy and hard it can be especially when you’re only riding the trainers bike for an hour a month due to having A2 license. Went out on my bike for a couple hours yesterday and today and that helped massively.

Happy now and prob get the best night sleep I’ve had in a long while tonight :D.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nice, congrats!

Mine's in March provided the docs clear me. I've had EEG, ECG, MRI, and every other alphabet soup you can think of and so far nothing. Should be all clear soon in which case I'm doing it for my birthday.

Soldato
Well done. It's a great feeling. I spent the next week buzzing when I passed mine.

Thanks :). And yes i definitely feel that way, such a relief its all done now. So much restriction choosing bikes on A2 and now i can pretty much pick anything i fancy. A big relief and really happy i made sure i did it. Bit of a ptake doing it twice CBT-A2 then A2-A but happy its all over now thats for sure!

Nice, congrats!

Mine's in March provided the docs clear me. I've had EEG, ECG, MRI, and every other alphabet soup you can think of and so far nothing. Should be all clear soon in which case I'm doing it for my birthday.

Thank you! And best of luck with getting the all clear and with the tests. Keep us updated as you get them done! :)

Associate
Congrats on passing Tyler!

I was meant to do my Direct Access earlier this month but had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances :( Unfortuntely due to my upcoming deployment to the South Atlantic in Feb I will have to wait until July next year to take my MOD1 and MOD2.

Soldato
Congrats on passing Tyler!

I was meant to do my Direct Access earlier this month but had to cancel due to unforeseen circumstances :( Unfortuntely due to my upcoming deployment to the South Atlantic in Feb I will have to wait until July next year to take my MOD1 and MOD2.

Thank you :).

As above really unfortunate but it should at least be a darn sight warmer than it is currently. I was shivering the whole time while doing my mod 2 which didn’t help things all that much lol.

Best of luck when you get round to doing it and let us know how you get on! :)

Caporegime
Bit confused. Trying to book my theory so I can book my DAS, but the GOV website tells me I need a provisional. Given that I've got a driver's licence, shirley that's irrelevant?

I thought the car provisional and bike provisional were the same thing, and that the car driver's licence covers the bike provisional?

Never been so excited and confused at the same time :p

Associate
If you have a pink license you have a provisional motorcycle license. Unless things have changed recently.

I did the same in reverse, full motorcycle license and had to take another theory for car. I don't remember having to do anything odd. Just use your current pink license number.

Man of Honour
If you have a pink license you have a provisional motorcycle license. Unless things have changed recently.

I did the same in reverse, full motorcycle license and had to take another theory for car. I don't remember having to do anything odd. Just use your current pink license number.
Same here going from bike to car, didn't have to do anything special. My car provisional entitlement was listed on the back of my licence.

Back
Top Bottom