How to obtain SC Clearance?

Associate
A few jobs im applying for and I get constant calls for urgent starts, how do you obtain SC Clearance?
i know its via a sponsor etc, but how do you get the ladder in the first place.

thanks

Associate
You need a company to sponsor you through it, you can't just apply.

Once you have it, it can be transferred to a new company if you move, but it lapses after 12 months if you are somewhere that doesn't require it.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
You need a company to sponsor you through it, you can't just apply.

Once you have it, it can be transferred to a new company if you move, but it lapses after 12 months if you are somewhere that doesn't require it.

Almost! SC does require a sponsor, and that sponsor cannot just be any company. SC itself is clearance for you in the specific role. So if you change jobs, your clearance will need to be transferred but essentially this is almost like a re-application. If you leave your job and have a period of not working, you should not bank on the "12 month" thing at all as behind the scenes it just doesn't work like that.

As for getting on the ladder - nobody should be stating that applicants must have SC (or DV or anything else) to apply for a job. You aren't really supposed to disclose your clearance status to anyone, so how can a recruiter ask? The official bodies take a very dim view of that sort of recruitment practice and it is possible to report people who do behave like that. Usually, job recruiters refer to it as "must be eligible for SC" or something similar to that.

If a job role is out there and happens to need SC, just apply for the job like you would any other. Unless you've got a criminal record, have spent time in certain countries or have any of a few personal issues, you'll likely be just fine!

Associate
I applied for a contract that is at a government facility. I did not make it past the agent as i have no history of roles with SC.

He said they will not look at anyone with out it. Even though the role is more junior than what im in. I know its against the rules for them to recruit in this way but it doesnt mean it does not happen.
Looking at the local job market and there is plenty of adverts with SC required or DV.

Soldato
I applied for an entry level job which required SC clearance and they put me through it. I have since changed jobs in the same company but as far as my SC clearence has gone i've not had to do anything.

Back
Top Bottom