• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How to overclock a 7850 past 1050MHz?

Associate
Hello to all, I have been reading this thread since I bought my Sapphire7850. I had plenty of time to OC and now I would like to share with you my experience.

Which a lot of people seems to not know, is that for achieving 1200mhz of core, the mem should remain about 5500mhz (1375), otherwise your OC will not be totally stable. A 5800 Mhz (1450), or higher, memory OC could cause too many operation errors with a high core clock (this is because of the higher demand). I found 1.176v for core 1200 mhz is perfectly stable with mems at 5500 mhz using Trixx. My temps do not raise 80ºC during gaming. My asic is 84%.

Thanks for the advice, but it's definitely not my memory clock, I left it at stock while trying to get 1200.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Whats the difference between FXAA and MSAA hex?

FXAA is much more efficient (called Post Processing AA in BF3), you'll take a couple of FPS hit running FXAA, gives AA equiv to around 4xMSAA, however it does make the image 'softer'.

MSAA is much more resource intensive and you'll take a substantial FPS hit, but gives a 'crisper' image.

Personally I can't really tell the difference between the two while I'm running around avoiding being gunned down, so I use FXAA and enjoy silky smooth gameplay.

Associate
1375 is my recommended memory settings as well.

Higher results in a lower heaven score

I get higher score with higher mems in Heaven 3.0 (1450), but the card is not totally stable in games like Crysis 2 or Arma 2. Which I found is that, lowering the mem to at least 1375, makes my core 1200 stable with just 1.176.

Where I did found a better performance with lower mem clock (1375 against 1450), is benching with Furmark.

For all of you interested, Afterburner 2.2.1 just relased (7850 support)

Soldato
I get higher score with higher mems in Heaven 3.0 (1450), but the card is not totally stable in games like Crysis 2 or Arma 2. Which I found is that, lowering the mem to at least 1375, makes my core 1200 stable with just 1.176.

Where I did found a better performance with lower mem clock (1375 against 1450), is benching with Furmark.

For all of you interested, Afterburner 2.2.1 just relased (7850 support)

Just installed after burner, clocks won't go higher than 1120, and no voltage adjustment is available:confused:

Soldato
Really? Where did you get that information? I highly doubt AMD is sending worse chips to Gigabyte that to it's other partners.

Just read a few posts on various forums, and the reviews on the gigabyte OC. I've never heard of it getting decent clocks like the others. That said, I assume some of them must have decent chips in, like you say they all get their fair share of the pie.

The only thing which niggled me was reading about the cooler, isn't it supposed to be pretty rubbish? I'm sure I read on here from an owner who said his temps were quite high. Actually looks a decent cooler from the photos.

Soldato
Bit the bullet and gone for the Msi frozr 3, Cant wait to have a play and get some overclocking going on it.....Hopefully should get it tomorrow :)

Definately let me know how you get on with that model. I'm tempted to buy a couple myself.

Really like to know how many volts it takes to get 1200 stable. By that, I mean stable as in a good 3/4 runs of heaven with watching the screen for any tearing. If it gets good scores, and not knocked down by error trapping I'm sold.

the frozr 4 could be months away

Associate
Definately let me know how you get on with that model. I'm tempted to buy a couple myself.

Really like to know how many volts it takes to get 1200 stable. By that, I mean stable as in a good 3/4 runs of heaven with watching the screen for any tearing. If it gets good scores, and not knocked down by error trapping I'm sold.

the frozr 4 could be months away

Yeah will do mate, I am curious to see how far it will go on stock volts too! What would you say would be good to aim for on stock volts, I take it the card should get to 1050 with-out a voltage bump? You will have to excuse my ignorance in regards to gfx card overclocking as it is something that I never really dabbled in tbh. Had a play with the card in my sig but felt at the time it was fast enough...So a bit of a noob at the gfx Ocing..:D

Associate
Which a lot of people seems to not know, is that for achieving 1200mhz of core, the mem should remain about 5500mhz (1375), otherwise your OC will not be totally stable.

what's all this talk of 5500mhz for VRAM being optimal? the guys on anandtech are saying the same thing, "we've figured out 5500mhz is the best memory OC on the 7850." who the heck figured this out? i've been keeping up with both threads and never saw any conclusive evidence.

FWIW my 3dmark2011 scores rise with memory overclocks. 5800 is higher than 5500, etc.

Associate
what's all this talk of 5500mhz for VRAM being optimal? the guys on anandtech are saying the same thing, "we've figured out 5500mhz is the best memory OC on the 7850." who the heck figured this out? i've been keeping up with both threads and never saw any conclusive evidence.

FWIW my 3dmark2011 scores rise with memory overclocks. 5800 is higher than 5500, etc.

I don't think there can be such a thing as conclusive proof as it is very subjective but I too have found that bumping my memory above 5500Mhz causes problems, even when bumping voltage and lower core to compensate. I can happily increase my core to 1250Mhz and it's happy enough and even seem stable on 1275Mhz but I just run it at 1200Mhz, memory won't budge above 5500Mhz without issues though.

Associate

That is truth, BUT, with the performance increase comes inestability and crash. Heaven, 3Dmark11 could not crash BUT in real world YES they do. 5500 seems to be the sweetspot and you will not benefit beyond that clock unless your only goal is scoring some more points on some benches.

Go and try for example a 1200/1450 with a vcore of 1.176 and test Crysis 2 stability, you will probally crash, now try with a lower mem clock. I tested before, I tested some minutes ago, a higher clock gives same or bit worse performance plus I get inestabilty or crash.

Sure it passes Heaven a gives me better score but, once again, not working good in real world. Give me crashes at Arma 2 as well, after playing a while too by the way... So no, I have not only tested with Crysis 2 Adrenaline bench tool. I tested Skyrim, Red Orchestra and Alan Wake too.

So I stay with 5500 for mem clock and advice you guys to try it and get real conclusion yourselves.

Associate
Got a XFX 7850 DD and with the new Afterburner (2.2.1) I'm finally able to OC over the CCC Limit of 1050/1450. Bad thing: anything over 1100 Core crashes BF3 and even worse, Afterburner (yes, Voltage option is ticked and cfg is changed + ULPS is on 0) nor Trixx allows me to change the Voltage. :\

Associate
Got a XFX 7850 DD and with the new Afterburner (2.2.1) I'm finally able to OC over the CCC Limit of 1050/1450. Bad thing: anything over 1100 Core crashes BF3 and even worse, Afterburner (yes, Voltage option is ticked and cfg is changed + ULPS is on 0) nor Trixx allows me to change the Voltage. :\

Have you tried scrolling down Trixx windows? Voltages have to be there...

Back
Top Bottom