How to quieten my arctic freezer ?

Soldato
Ive got an intel arctic freezer, its running at 2700rpm, and its very noisy. Temps arent a problem, so i need a way to reduce the speed. Its that fangly 4 pin type fan.

My mobo is an asus p5nd2, but there is no options in the bios to reduce the fan speed, only turn on Q-fan, which it dosent move from.

Ive downloaded speedfan, but adjusting the fan speed on it down from 100% dosent make any difference, fan speed stays the same. Do you need to pay for speed fan now for this to work?

Soldato
Are you sure the Q-Fan doesn't make a difference? Is it plugged into the CPU header on your motherboard? I've got an ASUS motherboard and Q-Fan varies the fan speed from about 1500rpm to near 5000rpm (when I was using the stock cooler; my new cooler gets its power from a fan controller)

I'd be inclined to point the problem at something else as the Artic Freezers tend to be quiet. Do you have active cooling on your northbridge? What PSU are you using? What graphics card do you own? What case fans do you have?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well q-fan does work when ive got my case fans on, the problem is they are very noisy at the moment, although ive ordered a fan controller to fix that, im not sure if ill be able to put the cpu fan on the fan controller though because its 4 pin.

Associate
when you say 4 pin do you mean its molex connetor? if so then it will not be connected to the motherboard directly as you need to plug into a 3 pin socket.

Soldato
speedfan>readings>configure>advanced>select the chip that starts with "IT"> set all PWM modes to software controlled and make sure it remembers it on all of them, now speedfan will work with the fan adjustments. :)

Permabanned
Arctic Freezer is noisey compared to my setup. I used to have one but it was just too noisey for me! I switched to a Thermalright XP-120 with a Nexus 120mm fan on it. What a difference!!

If you want to leep the Arctic why not put a Speed reducing cable on it?

Associate
Connecting a three pin fan to a four pin Intel motherboard header will only allow full speed and nothing else, The extra pin is for the PWM control that you're looking for.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom