How to reassure a buyer?

Soldato
I've got a used item I'm selling on a site where normally you meet up and pay. I've received a response asking if I'm happy to post it. I told him I hadn't considered it but I'll get a postage price tomorrow and he can pay for the item + postage into paypal, which he's happy with.

He's now replied,

"Hello! Yes I agree to the PayPal transaction. I will need some reassurance about this, though! Let me know what you think?"

How do I do that? Shall I just link him this page,
https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/paypal-safety-and-security

And point out to him he's safe because it says:
'Buyer Protection
If your eligible purchase doesn’t arrive, or doesn’t match the seller’s description, we can reimburse you.'

Or is there something else I can do to reassure him that I'm not about to take his money fraudulently?

Associate
Yeah, don't do that. He's probably feigning his reluctance to use PayPal then when he receives the item that's when the chargeback happens. I mean, how else was he expecting to pay for it?

Soldato
He's asked you to post it, and is now asking for you to reassure him that him paying online rather than in person for you to post it is safe. I love online selling

Soldato
Gumtree is cash on collection only. Plus they have zero buyer protection anyway. And they are going to do you over.

Items Not Covered
These are the purchases PayPal Buyer Protection doesn't cover.

• Real estate.
  • Motorised vehicles (of any kind).
  • Customer-made items.
  • Industrial machinery (for manufacturing).
  • Prepaid cards.
  • Items that violate our policies.
  • Anything you buy in person.
  • Money transfers to friends or family.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Enjoy losing the money he pays when he claims it back via PayPal and neither two agents either side will (or can) help reclaim that money.

Obvious scam should have been obvious immediately.

This type of thread comes up every few weeks it seems these days.

Man of Honour
email back saying you've got another potential buyer who will meet up that you'd rather deal with - see what they say.

Soldato
OP
I'll take your advice guys and fob him off. Pity as I probably won't get another buyer now and he may be totally genuine. Still, saves me the hassle of packaging it up and having to do paypal. I'd much rather keep it simple and meet sometime with cash. Ok thanks guys.

Soldato
I'll take your advice guys and fob him off. Pity as I probably won't get another buyer now and he may be totally genuine. Still, saves me the hassle of packaging it up and having to do paypal. I'd much rather keep it simple and meet sometime with cash. Ok thanks guys.

Everything about him sounds like he is genuine, but thats the point. He is " concerned " and wants " reassurance " to make you view him as a genuine person. Scammers contrary to common belief are pretty clever. Especially manipulative. :).

Back
Top Bottom