How to recover data off IDE drive mixed with a SATA drive

Associate
Guys,
I have an old IDE Seagate Hard Drive that has data on it that I need to recover.

I have not used an IDE drive in years so was wondering if you can mix both SATA and IDE.

I currently run with AHCI for my Crucial SSD.

Associate
Yes. It's worth making sure the bios will still boot to your sata drive first on the first boot after you attach the ide drive. If the ide drive's NTFS formatted, you may run into security issues though - they're not insurmountable, but it does add an extra element of fun to proceedings.

Soldato
If the ide drive's NTFS formatted, you may run into security issues though - they're not insurmountable, but it does add an extra element of fun to proceedings.

What does this mean? I've been using an IDE drive with SATA drives for years and never had any problem or security issues.

In fact i currenty have 3 IDE hard drives, DVD recorder and 2 SATA drives

Man of Honour
What does this mean?
If the drive has been used in another machine or by an older install of Windows the file ownerships may be set such that the drive cannot immediately be read by the new machine. Taking ownership of the files so that they can be accessed is simple to do but it's an added thing to remember to do.

Soldato
You can get SATA > IDE cables I don't know how much they cost but they're available.

They're around £10-15 for the convertors.

Last edited:
Top Bottom