How to reinstal windows 10 without losing any data, progs, games, emails, etc.?

Soldato
As title. I've had a prob with booting up the pc, I get the "bad windows config info" screen on start up and after 3 attempts to boot, it goes to repair options, all of which I've tried including command prompt which shows the message "insufficient system memory available to perform tasks" and all attempts result n the message "unable to find specific path".
Now, the pc will eventually get into windows and works perfectly once there, its just I can't do any reboots or restarts 'cos it'll just go to the blue screen and the whole repair malarkey starts again, and after mucho faffing around, its eventually boots up fine again.
So..this means to me a re-install is needed which should cure the probs, BUT, I really couldn't face a total clean install due to the data (emails, games, progs etc) that would have to be re-installed as well.
I'd like to do a reinstall so when its completed, the pc is in exactly the same state it was in before the problems started.
I'm looking at booting from a usb drive that has the windows media tool on it, but instead of selecting install windows, select "repair windows" and selecting the keep all files and data, etc. I've seen on the interweb that this is a viable option, but I'd like to confirm it with some of the experts here.
Opinions/suggestions welcome.

Soldato
Although your system is in a bad state just now, I would definitely take a full image of with Macrium Reflect. Then if you are forced to do a clean install, you can get back as much of you data as possible from the backup.

Try and get back into Windows. Then dive straight into Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and take a screenshot of what you have installed. I know the feeling very well when you forgot the name of that one program you liked which took you ages to find. From then on, I would prepare for a clean install of Windows. It might take a few hours, but I think it's worth it knowing that your system will be stable at the end of it.

Caporegime
Last edited:
Associate
@ ic1male does your link 1 above allow you to keep your contacts @ emails / MSO outlook accounts too

I've tried Laplink which Windows recommended, if I could see my time again I wouldn't give em 5 pence for it, Easy Transfer was / is miles better which is why I still use Windows 7

Back
Top Bottom