How to transfer text mesgs and WhatsApp conversations between iphone and Android?

Soldato
Just made the jump from an iPhone 6 that I've been using for a few years to a Huawei P30 Pro.

I've ran through the setup and used the Huawei Phone Clone app which moved my contacts over but that was about it. I have a number of SMS text messages on my old iPhone 6 that I'd desperately like to keep as well as a good few WhatsApp messages. Google throws up some solutions but most are only free trials and to actually do the job want to charge $40 ish.

Is there a free app option that will transfer SMS texts and WhatsApp conversations from iPhone to Android devices?

Cheers.

Soldato
Wazzup migrator worked for a friend, but it's a paid app. I don't think there are a lot of options for Whatsapp unfortunately.

Texts should be easier, cos Android can import from an XML file pretty easily.

Soldato
Wazzup migrator worked for a friend, but it's a paid app. I don't think there are a lot of options for Whatsapp unfortunately.

Texts should be easier, cos Android can import from an XML file pretty easily.
This worked flawlessly for me 3yrs ago when I moved my wife off her dated iPhone 4 to a OnePlus 3. Everyone else, even whatsapp support said it couldn't be done yet one app proved them wrong. Everything transferred across without a hitch.

Soldato
OP
Cool, I'm happy to pay for an app that will move my WhatsApp conversations across as there are things in there I really don't want to lose. As for the SMS text messages, any ideas how I can move them over? I'm absolutely flailing around here in the dark as I've always owned iPhones and iPads, Android is completely new to me so its a bit confuzzling!!

Soldato
SMS I think you're stuck for unless anyone else has managed it. iMessages is a closed system (I still believe)so off the top of my head I don't think it is possible unless iOS can export messages as XML, TXT etc.

Soldato
I used Backuptrans when I got an iPhone last year, for my mine and my partner's phones. It worked flawlessly on mine and her phone. It was just as if Whatsapp had been used on it natively the whole time. It even moved media.

Soldato
Not between iOS and Android, unfortunately. For some reason there's no way to restore from a Google Drive backup on iOS, and no way to restore from iCloud on Android. So the interoperability is killed.

Soldato
OP
Not between iOS and Android, unfortunately. For some reason there's no way to restore from a Google Drive backup on iOS, and no way to restore from iCloud on Android. So the interoperability is killed.

Ah right. Okeydokey. So my old SIM is now inactive as my P30 has a new SIM with my old number now attached to it if that makes sense? I'm trying to plug my old iPhone 6 into my PC to make an unencrypted backup so I can use something 3rd party to do the job but the phone just pings as it gets detected via USB but doesn't show up on my PC or in iTunes? Is that because I have no active SIM card in it or should that not matter?

Soldato
OP
Just buy wazzup and be done. I've been there, tried all the variations. Only wazzup worked.

It can't transfer backups via whatsapp itself because the android and iPhone encryption methods are different and incompatable.

So does Wazzup not need access to an iCloud backup to restore the WhatsApp chat history? Does it do it some other way? Sorry, I'm getting confused a bit.

Soldato
Ah right. Okeydokey. So my old SIM is now inactive as my P30 has a new SIM with my old number now attached to it if that makes sense? I'm trying to plug my old iPhone 6 into my PC to make an unencrypted backup so I can use something 3rd party to do the job but the phone just pings as it gets detected via USB but doesn't show up on my PC or in iTunes? Is that because I have no active SIM card in it or should that not matter?
The lack of sim shouldn't cause it to not be picked up by the PC. I can't think what would cause that though.

Soldato
Another thing to note, back up your contacts to your Google account if possible: https://contacts.google.com/

That way for any new phone you just need to sign in with your Google account and your contacts will automatically sync over, iPhone included.

As for SMS I remember doing this for a friend a couple of years ago but the app no longer seems to be in the Play store: https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...om-an-ios-device-to-android-using-isms2droid/

This is most likely due to Google being more strict on the SMS permission for apps, but you can sideload it from here: https://apkpure.com/isms2droid-iphone-sms-import/org.faked.isms2droid

Soldato
OP
Another thing to note, back up your contacts to your Google account if possible: https://contacts.google.com/

That way for any new phone you just need to sign in with your Google account and your contacts will automatically sync over, iPhone included.

As for SMS I remember doing this for a friend a couple of years ago but the app no longer seems to be in the Play store: https://www.techrepublic.com/articl...om-an-ios-device-to-android-using-isms2droid/

This is most likely due to Google being more strict on the SMS permission for apps, but you can sideload it from here: https://apkpure.com/isms2droid-iphone-sms-import/org.faked.isms2droid

Cheers, the sideloading from APKPure worked perfectly.

I ended up biting the bullet and paying £4.99 for WhazzapMigrator which was fiddly to use at some stages but did the job eventually. So I'm all good to go now and enjoying using the P30 Pro. Coming from an iPhone 6, the camera on this thing is insane. :eek:

Soldato
And once you get all your photos, upload them to Google Photos. It has unlimited storage but it will resize all photos to 16MP and videos to 1080p. You can change it to original quality if needed, but then it will start using your Google Drive storage.

Back
Top Bottom