How to write 'Star Wars' in Japanese

Soldato
I'm doing an illustration project on folklore, for which I'm redrawing characters and scenes from Star Wars to demonstrate how the character setup and narrative have a traditional folk tale underpinning (the knight, bad knight, wizard, princess, rogues). I'm doing the first lot of images at least in a Japanese style (I'll try to get images in both Sumi and Ukiyo styles and see which works best), and as such I want to rewrite Star Wars in Japanese lettering.

So far I have deduced that Katakana is the alphabet I need, but I'm having trouble with the spelling. Here is my guess, although it is most certainly wrong...

WHO KNOWS!? Not me. I've tried my best Japanese accent and I'll I've achieved is what sounds like a **** take!

If anybody could help I would be most grateful, cookies, thanks, handjobs etc... I'll also post up the illustrations when the project is done, as I'm sure there's at least a passing interest in Star Wars in these here murky forum depths.

Edit: Update with pictures below

Last edited:
Soldato
スター·ウォーズ

according to Google translate :)

Bablefish say:-

Star wars (English)
スター ・ ウォーズ (Japanese)

Looks both the same to me :D

Last edited:

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I'm doing an illustration project on folklore, for which I'm redrawing characters and scenes from Star Wars to demonstrate how the character setup and narrative have a traditional folk tale underpinning (the knight, bad knight, wizard, princess, rogues). I'm doing the first lot of images at least in a Japanese style (I'll try to get images in both Sumi and Ukiyo styles and see which works best), and as such I want to rewrite Star Wars in Japanese lettering.

So far I have deduced that Katakana is the alphabet I need, but I'm having trouble with the spelling. Here is my guess, although it is most certainly wrong...

img0210xph.jpg

WHO KNOWS!? Not me. I've tried my best Japanese accent and I'll I've achieved is what sounds like a **** take!

If anybody could help I would be most grateful, cookies, thanks, handjobs etc... I'll also post up the illustrations when the project is done, as I'm sure there's at least a passing interest in Star Wars in these here murky forum depths.

Try google translate?

Comes up with the symbols for Suta uozu. Which may mean Star Wars, I have no idea!

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure why I didn't think of google translate... Hiding in plain view etc etc.

And this picture of Vader getting nailed made me laugh.

starwarsjapanredshirt.jpg

Edit: Great find Castiel, I'm going to use those quotes in the portraits :cool:

Soldato
OP
As promised here are some updates.

The thread / lettering is for the portraits, but these are a few of the scenes I've done. They're in a different style to the portraits, and I'm undecided as to include text on them - the others will have for sure though.

03boarding.jpg

04helpmeobi.jpg

02train.jpg

01escpod.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom