How warm would you have your HDD at

Soldato
just finished my tiny plex server in a NUC form factor (slightly taller than a NUC but about the same footprint)

I managed to get an ironwolf drive and a 2.5 SSD squeezed in the case with all the associated cabling.

Now the HDD gets pretty warm. like mid 50C after some usage - plex server syncing data.

I googled and seagate recommends 5-50c operating range. so I am getting a couple of 50mm fans to blow some cool air in to cool the drive a bit.

but question is what do people generally happy with? is there any data showing high temps cause higher failure rate

Soldato
Happy with mid 30s.

Got 14 8tb usb seagate drives that sit at about 45c with active cooling otherwise they hit 60c...had them running 24/7 for over 3 years now and only one has failed so far

Hotter drives are statistically more likely to fail...even a small amount of airflow will reduce your temps as you will see :)

Soldato
OP
Ya I have a 120mm fan blowing at 20% over the case it seems to have brought the temps well down sitting at high 30 now.

anyway that’s an experiment. I got 2 50mm fans coming in which can be inside the case. So should be ok now.

Soldato
Pretty much same here, anything upto 40C would be fine for me. Once i start seeing mid 40s upto 50 i'd start worrying about why it's running so hot. I'd give more leeway in a more compact and restricted system (natural consequence of such a build).

Soldato
OP
Ok cool. Got a couple of small 50mm fans in the case now. Temps don’t go above 40c now. It is amazing how little air flow sorts all that out.

Back
Top Bottom