How Would You/Will You Spend Christmas Day Alone?

Soldato
OP
Do you feel the same about speed limits?

I definitely would have an average speed higher than I do at the moment, if there were no speed limits. If I know there are speed cameras too, yes, definitely at the speed limit. I also wouldn't be trying to argue about how safe it is if I got caught fair and square gong over the speed limit.

Tbh though, I think it's more about what is socially acceptable. If everyone was ignoring it and everyone thought it was ridiculous, then yes, I would be more likely to ignore it myself. (That probably applies to speed limits too I guess. [Not going to speed past a school, but might on the M1])

It is an interesting point though.

Grassing on your neighbours came so easy to you... Less than a year to reprogram you all

I don't entirely get this. People have always grassed on their neighbours, surely it's nothing new?

Associate
I’ve always spent Christmas Day round my sisters and Boxing Day with my dad or partners family. My dad passed away 3 weeks ago and I’m single so was dreading Boxing Day as my sister normally goes to her in laws on Boxing Day. Luckily with covid she’s not going and my other sister is also down so will spend my 4 days off over Christmas with them.

Depending on where ur relatives live you can still go if you live alone and form a support bubble with them. That’s what I have with my sisters family, admittedly their only 25mins away so not a major issue with travel.

Soldato
Who are your support bubble whilst you live alone? You can still spend it with them in tier 4 can't you?

This is my understanding OP, quite a few have asked the question over on the MSE forums. Support bubble pretty much trumps all restrictions.

Might be a bit of an issue if you require public transport to get there though.

Caporegime
This is my understanding OP, quite a few have asked the question over on the MSE forums. Support bubble pretty much trumps all restrictions.

Might be a bit of an issue if you require public transport to get there though.

Public transport would be an issue on Christmas day any year.

Soldato
Public transport would be an issue on Christmas day any year.

True, however most people would usually have travelled to their destination on Christmas eve, and would then travel back home on boxing day. That would technically be breaking the rules this year - although I'm not sure if someone in a bubble can travel early and stay for longer than a night.

Soldato
Do you really think MP's are going to spend Christmas isolated? Of course not, they all have their 'primary' home in lower tier areas and are most likely already there so they can carry on as per usual.

I've seen no indications over the last 9 months that the leadership in this country is anything but lacklustre. One minute it's inhumane to cancel Christmas, the next, back into full lockdown. It almost feels as if it was done on purpose just so the economy didn't lose out on the big Christmas spend.

Our 3 households that were going to mix on the day will have isolated for 2 weeks by Christmas, and we've all today had negative results from tests, so we're going to be sensible but still have a Christmas.

Caporegime
True, however most people would usually have travelled to their destination on Christmas eve, and would then travel back home on boxing day. That would technically be breaking the rules this year - although I'm not sure if someone in a bubble can travel early and stay for longer than a night.

You can travel from a Tier 4 area to visit your support bubble on Christmas Day but overnight stays are not allowed.

Caporegime
Andy go to your brother's house and enjoy yourself. If you want to play it safe wear a mask and sanitise your hands on a regular basis.

One person meeting family isn't the issue. It's mass gatherings with multiple households on a regular basis. People literally hopping from one house to another with lots of different people. Mingling in overcrowded shops, trains, etc.

A friend of mine hasn't stepped foot on a train since march. He walks everywhere now and it takes him 45 minutes to get into the city centre on foot.

The best way to stop the virus is actually wearing a decent mask which can be had for as little as £10. It can catch more droplets than even a £400 air purifier and smaller too.

Which is why the whole anti masker protests shouldn't have gotten any publicity. I'm also angry whenever I see morons in busy public places without masks on. Masks are your best way of combatting this until your vaccinated. Keep your hands clean too but everyone literally should be wearing a mask if you have a health condition that prevents you from wearing a mask then you should seek assistance from friends and family and never venture into busy public places.

Soldato
If everyone bloody does it then yes the problem is people going round to see family. They've said for ages now that a household meeting creates the perfect conditions for spread, poor ventilation and people let their guard down with social distancing.

The way this ramping up we could be in for a worse time than the first wave so take solace in that you are doing your bit to help fight this thing and just veg out with some christmas telly.

Caporegime
Aren't support bubbles essentially treated as one household, so overnight stays would be allowed? Or is it specifically outlawed?

Oops, you're right.

Travelling out of a Tier 4 area
You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area, other than for legally permitted reasons such as:
  • travel to work where you cannot work from home
  • travel to education and for caring responsibilities
  • visit (including staying overnight with) those in your support bubble - or your childcare bubble for childcare
  • attend hospital, GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health

Soldato
If everyone bloody does it then yes the problem is people going round to see family. They've said for ages now that a household meeting creates the perfect conditions for spread, poor ventilation and people let their guard down with social distancing.

The way this ramping up we could be in for a worse time than the first wave so take solace in that you are doing your bit to help fight this thing and just veg out with some christmas telly.

Not if everyone meeting properly isolates/travels alone and has recent negative tests. It can't spread if it's not present.

Issue is not everyone does this, or uses public transport to reach family.

Capodecina
Soldato
Oops, you're right.

That is a visit, it is not the same as an overnight stay.

To be fair, it is very unclear, but it seems that people from tier 4 are allowed to visit another tier in their support bubble, but not stay overnight. Pretty much everything says that tier 4 residents do not stay overnight anywhere.

Everywhere it just says this:

Tier 4 residents must not stay overnight away from home.

There is nothing I have seen that says tier 4 residents can stay overnight if they're in a support bubble.

EDIT: found it:

Travelling out of a Tier 4 area
You must stay at home and not leave your Tier 4 area, other than for legally permitted reasons such as:

• visit (including staying overnight with) those in your support bubble - or your childcare bubble for childcare

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tier-4-stay-at-home#protecting-people-more-at-risk-from-coronavirus

It spite of this, it's still up to the individual to make a decision on what they think is best based on their own circumstances.

Last edited:
Caporegime

If nobody present has it you cannot spread anything.

You think one person leaving their home to visit family for the first time in months is spreading it everywhere?

I've not been to the pub, restaurant, abroad, parties any ones home bar my parents and wife's parents since march.

I've been tested multiple times all negative. I don't leave the home for anything other than essential goods. I order practically everything online now or I get a mate to drop it off as he owns a shop and wire him the cash as he lives walking distance from me and has to drive past my house to get to his own.

Common sense would dictate I'm okay to go round to my dad's house. He's retired so is my grandad. Both don't leave the house unless they need to. Same goes for my in laws.

People who are essentially keeping to themselves can visit immediate family with a clean conscience.

It's all the morons not wearing masks walking about Topshop trying to get a bargain, traveling abroad, mingling in restaurants and such that are the problem and they are the ones spreading it. Not people who are spending 99.9% of their time in their own homes.

Caporegime
That is a visit, it is not the same as an overnight stay.

To be fair, it is very unclear, but it seems that people from tier 4 are allowed to visit another tier in their support bubble, but not stay overnight. Pretty much everything says that tier 4 residents do not stay overnight anywhere.

Everywhere it just says this:

There is nothing I have seen that says tier 4 residents can stay overnight if they're in a support bubble.

I'm sorry but does the virus only come out at night when your sleeping?

If your going round for dinner then you may as well stay for as long as you want the risk is the same in my eyes. If you stay 3 hours or 3 years it's the same thing.

Otherwise you need to make it clear that if your in tier 4 you cannot enter anyone elses home at all under any circumstance bar saving a life.

As in if you need to drop off or pick up kids you wait outside until they are in the house or in your car.

Saying it's okay to go round but not stay the night is simply illogical.

Again people need to engage their brains and think for themselves. The rules are stupid and intended for the idiots not keeping to themselves and their strict close circles of family.

Capodecina
Soldato
@Psycho Sonny did you see my edit? I admitted the rules were unclear [to me, at least, but it took quite a bit of digging to find that link]. I see your point and clarified my own opinion and the official one in the link/edit.

Soldato
If you have a slow cooker, I’d replace the steak option with a slow roast beef joint. That way you can put it on in the morning and leave it, you’ll smell it cooking which will be amazing and have left overs in the evening/next day.

Use FaceTime or equivalent to stay in contact with loved ones, plenty of good TV, snacks and alcohol.

Oh, and really treat yourself to something you REALLY want.

Back
Top Bottom