How Would You/Will You Spend Christmas Day Alone?

Soldato
I'm not gonna lie, it's annoyed me a little that I will now have to spend Christmas day alone in my flat. Working in a supermarket in London, the break for Xmas day and boxing day, that I usually spend with my family in the peaceful countryside was always a break that I really enjoyed after the madness. Before tier 4, those plans had already been squashed, but I was at least going to go and stay at my brothers for a couple of days with his g/f and kid, but now it looks like I'm spending it on my tod!

Current plan is maybe going for a cycle in the morning (weather permitting), perhaps attempting a Christmas dinner of some kind (but I'm no chef, so I may bail and just have a ready meal or something delivered if anyone is open) and then perhaps watch some box sets. Home Alone, Die Hard... maybe even all the Star Wars or Marvel movies in chronological order (well, maybe not all, but start them perhaps).

Any other ideas for me? Anyone else in a similar boat?

Soldato
Yes, I'm self-isolating over Christmas, so I will be alone. I might crack open a boxed set and a bottle of fizz but watching Brenda at 15:00 will be a must. I'll cook myself a steak or something.

Soldato
OP
You can watch our online Christmas morning Church service if you want lol

Maybe I'll catch it 'on demand' later in the day :p

Who are your support bubble whilst you live alone? You can still spend it with them in tier 4 can't you?

I have no idea. Do I have a support bubble? Having a quick read on the Government website, it does sound like I can have another household as a nominated support bubble as I'm the only adult in my home? In the tier 4 rules it does say you can visit your support bubble. Okay, have it got this wrong then? I can still visit my brother? (I've not formed a support bubble with any household as of yet)

I'll cook myself a steak or something.

Yeah, I did wonder about something nice, but not complicated. A steak's a good idea. I actually originally thought about a nice bacon butty... which might sound crap, but I don't think I've had one for two years while eating healthy, so it would actually be a real treat! :)

Capodecina
Soldato
Any other ideas for me? Anyone else in a similar boat?

I'm in the same boat. Did Xmas day alone last year, it wasn't really fun. It was weird. But at least now I have some experience to draw from.

It will be a bit depressing. My best advice is to speak to people, friends, family etc on the day. It won't be that hard though since so many people will be feeling the same and in the same situation. Xmas day alone in 2020 won't just be for loners but for 'normal' people too [current company notwithstanding].

My plan is to make the flat really nice beforehand, have a great clean up [it's not that dirty anyway] so it's a nice environment. On the day itself a Zoom meeting with the family at lunch with some drinks [maybe Gin], snacks, a standard lunch and then a big meal in the evening: the tradition is slowly becoming, wait for it, tuna pasta - not very Christmassy at all I know, but it's now tradition in the family that if we ever spend Xmas away/alone for any reason, it has to be tuna pasta. Last year it was rather bland so I'm going to severely spice it up this year. Not sure how yet.

As well as that, a film, music listening and probably a lot of gaming. I imagine Steam will have a sale in a couple of days so that'll make choices easier.

It will be odd, but there are lot of things you can do to make it less odd. The question "why am I on my own on today of all days?" will go through your head a few times. Expect that. And then you just have to remind yourself that there's a deadly virus sweeping the world and you're trying not to kill your relatives.

I haz 4090!
Don
If you haven't formed a support bubble with another household then yes, you can form one with your brother's household and then the rules are as if you are one household. So do it and enjoy what's left of Christmas :cool:

Soldato
Knowing you are a cyclist, pick out a route each day that involves a hill/area that you have never or rarely ridden before of intrest.

Maybe see how you get on doing the Rapha 500 challenge, combining outdoor rides with turbo rides? I'm contemplating this myself for the first time mixing indoor and outdoor rides, despite being unable to tell you last time I did a single 40+ mile ride since mid September, never mind trying to do one a day for eight days!

Soldato
I'll be alone with my mother, whose dementia means... well, I'm on my own really. She's not though, which is what matters. But during my 25 years in food retail the best Christmases I had were the couple I spent on my own. Collapse after a stretch of 14 days work in a row, pig out with no guilt because I'd worked so physically hard, answer to nobody, make a few phone calls on the day and just properly relax knowing that the phone couldn't ring because work needed baling out. Well, except the year we worked Christmas Eve into Christmas Day all night, then again Christmas Day night for a big Boxing Day sale. That was about as festive as haemorrhoids. Didn't do that again. :)

FWIW live radio is where I find most comfort if I get low at times like that. The live connection with another human being and often other folk in similar circumstances helps. And of course social media is an endless stream of distraction from being on your own. You can even fire up Skype etc with family and watch the same thing on telly at the same time in a 'communal event'.

To be honest, the big day on its own isn't ever the problem. It's the post Christmas slump when you're fatter, back to work, and wondering how you'll avoid watching Jools Holland's Hootenanny on New Year's Eve.

Right on cue, Elvis is singing 'Lonely at Christmas' on Radio2's songs of the 70s. Ho, ho, ho!

PS. #JoinIn on Twitter is very good over the festivities.

Last edited:
I haz 4090!
Don
The second one isn't Elvis - it's some Elvis impersonator, haha! Elvis never recorded any version of that song, it's like an internet old wives tale that got traction somehow.

Soldato
OP
Maybe see how you get on doing the Rapha 500 challenge, combining outdoor rides with turbo rides?

Yeah, I did wonder, but I HATE my trainer :( :) Also, I am still working, so I think it might be a bit much in 8 days for me.

Don't feel like you have to do some prescribed version of Christmas, just do whatever you want to do

Yeah, definitely, which I guess led to this thread for suggestions. I'd like to still make a different, or special day.

FWIW live radio is where I find most comfort if I get low at times like that.

I don't think I'll have an issue with that. I'm loving living along so far :) Having said that, if any time would bring me down, Xmas alone could I guess.

Caporegime
Do whatever you want.

The reason for the spread isn't a single person going over to their brothers house.

Ask any police officer. They are going to houses where there are 60 people inside from up to 45 mins drive away for a party.

Then you have the people even though they have been fined several times before are still flouting it. It should be 3 strikes system. Break the rules twice you get a fine. Third time it's jail for 14 days.

I'm sure that would actually stop the spread.

I can't believe people think that not going over to families house is a great idea.

As long as both of you have been mostly at home. Not mingling with the great unwashed and show zero symptoms then you are fine.

It's the people going to restaurants, pubs, parties, weddings, etc that are the ones that need to be staying at home on Christmas chances are they again won't be and get away with it.

If you are staying at home and following the rules and you see 4 cars pull up to your neighbors then you should be straight onto the non emergency number.

Caporegime
Oh Britain how easy it was to condition your little minds.
Grassing on your neighbours came so easy to you... Less than a year to reprogram you all
Good little Brexit servitors.
Full compliance.

First verse in my new poem collection entitled "Herding the flock, a collection of thoughts and poetry by Mr E.Four. and Gary the snail."
1/3/2021 amazon e publications

Man of Honour
What @Psycho Sonny and @Efour said.

You mean like Boris Johnson? It's a legal question more than an ethical/medical one for me.

Do you feel the same about speed limits? I have witnessed many people getting extremely heated about it all "because illegal", however they almost without fail show disregard for actual laws on a regular basis. Not trying to be a douche, just an interesting phenomenon I've observed and it made me consider my position on things.

Back
Top Bottom