How's this pre build?

Associate
Hey everyone, long time lurker but first time poster. I've managed to fry my CPU on my 5 year old machine so was looking at doing an upgrade. I think the PCsphere has moved on a lot since then. I was running a i7 6700k with a 980ti.

Obviously as I need my PC for gaming/streaming and video editing a fried CPU isn't going to come back to life so I was looking at a pre built system and this one from OCUK caught my eye - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk-gaming-fsg-plus-1080p-1440p-pre-built-gaming-pc-fs-1d4-ep.html

Intel 10th Gen Core i5 10400F Six Core Processor
Intel Certified Cooler
MSI B460 Pro VDH WIFI Motherboard
Memory 16GB 2933MHz Dual Channel RAM
Graphics Card MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC 8GB Graphics Card
Outputs: DisplayPort x 3 (v1.4a) / HDMI 2.1 x 1
Operating System Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
Storage 500GB 2.5" SATA Solid State Drive
1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hard Drive
USB & Audio Front/Top:
Three USB, Microphone Jack, Headphone Jack
Rear:
Six USB, 3x Audio Jack (HD Audio, 7.1 Sound)
Internet Connections Gigabit LAN Port Rear
433Mbps Wireless-AC WIFI card

Whats the thoughts on this? I was just about to upgrade to a 1440p 144hz ultrawide, but currently I just run 2 1080ps - one at 144hz for gaming. I pretty much play anything and everything, COD, Battlefield, WatchDogs, and also looking forward to CyberPunk.

Thanks in advance! :)

Associate
It's decent, especially if the 3070 is actually in stock
For streaming though it's going to hold you back. Cyberpunk sounds like a dense game, so I would imagine it is going to be CPU intensive.

Soldato
Welcome aboard.
So what was the voltage/(ab)use needed for frying CPU?
(should be nearly impossible to kill modern CPU by lack of cooling)

Typically for prebuild, parts which would have the longest usage time potential/value are questionable or so and so.
With very big part of budget going into something which anyway won't be holding value many years.

Besides Intel being limited to lower core counts and no decreased CPU prices later, also that motherboard has cheap VRM not fit for "double the TDP" power draw of upper Intels.
Just for comparison new consoles have 7 cores dedicated exclusively for use of games.
So six core for everything running in PC isn't going to cut it in long term in heavier games.
And for video editing that's like bringing rickshaw into race.

Intel certified cooler means chronically undersized buzzaw sized for word processing/web surfing loads.

Also memory is sluggish.
Though Intel of course demands extra ransom from you to be able to use faster memory.

Small 500GB SSD filled by few bigger games is also lackluster for the price.
And isn't even NVMe, but SATA and without proper specs propably some DRAMless QLC Flash cheapo.

Man of Honour
Like said above, for your usage, I'd consider stepping up to a 10700. It is pairing an extremely expensive, very high-end graphics card, with an entry-level CPU, which is not ideal for a PC to be used for streaming and video editing.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the help so far! Not really sure what I did to the CPU, but tested all my components with my friends pc and the GFX, RAM, PSU, etc were all fine. Just the CPU.

Probably should have mentioned I do very light video editing, mainly just some travel vlogs every now and then, but thats not happening right now! Most of the time I actually use my ipad for that. Streaming wise, I mainly use an Elgato to capture console and stream using OBS. The only PC games I've streamed have been COD and Overwatch.

I have a 2tb hard drive from the old PC I can salvage for more storage space as well.

Soldato
Intel 10th Gen Core i5 10400F Six Core Processor

This is the budget CPU of choice. But it's a starter CPU. For productivity, per core it's 10% slower than the Ryzen 3600. Gaming-wise it's only a few fps behind the Ryzen 3600, will get you near 144 fps at 1080p, and will get you over 100 fps at 1440p in most games. Obviously there are no benchmarks for Cyberpunk yet.

https://www.techspot.com/review/2032-intel-core-i5-10400/

Intel Certified Cooler

Get something better than the stock cooler. And make sure you choose a decent PSU, not the default Kolink.

Also memory is sluggish.

You're right, but the 10400 can't use fast RAM. However, I would buy fast RAM (DDR4-3600). I would be buying this as an emergency 'get me up-and-running' system and have the expectation of changing the motherboard and CPU sooner rather than later, when AMD CPUs are actually available. And then I would transfer the RAM. Intel CPUs have the key point of actually being available. The 10400f and that motherboard will be good enough until then and can be sold on or kept as spares.

Soldato
This will be absolutely fine for gaming for the next couple of years and at 1440p you would get virtually the same FPS as you would going with a 10900k or 5900X.

Back
Top Bottom