HP Gen8 Fan running @ 70%

Associate
Hi All,

I have a Gen8 microserver and the fan is constantly running at 70% (luckily it's in my garage), but I need to get the fan running at normal levels again. Looking through the iLO it appears my 2.5" WD Black 500gb is being registered at 50c, but the drive itself is running around 23-25c. I need to replace this drive with another 2.5" drive. Which one do people recommend that will register correct temps, so the fan will run at lower levels?

Associate
you could try a WD red? i replaced my toshiba 3.5's with WD reds and the fan dropped a good chunk. Was happy with that but also had to take out the pcie nic to get it down to 6%. have you got an additional device there?

Associate
i also think you have to have your raid controller in a config that does not support booting from the ODD sata port...

Associate
OP
i don't have any other devices in the pci slots. I had it set as ahci raid 0 with the single drive as that is what I believed I had to do. Got another seagate drive I am going to try. If that doesn't work I will have to order a new SSD for it.

Associate
i don't have any other devices in the pci slots. I had it set as ahci raid 0 with the single drive as that is what I believed I had to do. Got another seagate drive I am going to try. If that doesn't work I will have to order a new SSD for it.

you can always just switch it on and check in the ilo with various different configs too.

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

For 6% fan you need to be in RAID mode (no booting from ODD port) and your drives all have to have non-buggy SMART. One of my drives was causing the ILO to think it was overheated and hence ramped up the fan speed. Once I removed that drive, it was all good. Can't remember what drive model though (it was a long time ago).

Associate
For 6% fan you need to be in RAID mode (no booting from ODD port) and your drives all have to have non-buggy SMART. One of my drives was causing the ILO to think it was overheated and hence ramped up the fan speed. Once I removed that drive, it was all good. Can't remember what drive model though (it was a long time ago).

I thought the same, but check this link:

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/30676150/

Xez

Xez

Associate
As above my fan speed is at 6% and my OS is on a single Intel SSD in raid 0 running Windows 10. My other drives that are located in the bays are 2x500GB WD blue drives in raid 1 and 2x3TB WD red in raid 1.

Associate
OP
Thanks all. It is now sorted. My single WD Black 500gb in raid 0 was reading high temps. Replaced it with another drive I had lying around (320GB seagate) and it is all good now. Fan at 6%, drive running in raid 0 as well.

Back
Top Bottom