HP micoserver or NAS for video

Associate
Hi, I'm after a way of storing around 6tb-12tb of HD video in .MKV format and some .m2ts.

I would like to be able to view it in a organised library on my TV. Ideally I also want to be able to store various other files on there and be able to access it online. I'm not sure what is the better solution NAS or the HP Micro Servers mainly because I'm unsure on what software or operating system you would need on the microsever as the NAS drives usually come with firmware. Plus are these NAS drives powerful enough to buffer 1080 video and HD sound?

Also any recommendations on a media player to connect to my TV for .MKV files?

Thanks

*Wasn't sure if this section or Servers was the best place for this thread*

There was a post in the Desk and Room gallery with exactly what I'm after.

IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

These are my two HP microservers bot running unraid and both have 10TB of space each, so 20TB of storage in all. Great for storing all of my Blu-ray rips, documents and photos.

Last edited:
Associate
I am thinking about the same sort of thing but from what I've learnt so far, the micro server route offers much better value for money but obviously requires more DIY setting up and if you go the NAS route, then unless you are using an amp or tv with DLNA then you will need a streamer such as a WDTV live or ATV etc.

Soldato
In terms of a NAS I am running the exact same setup as above. HP Mcroserver N36L with 6 x 2TB drives and running unRAID. Does exactly what you need or expect from a NAS and never falters. Large thread over in servers detailing exactly how to do this aspect of your scenario:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18216324

As for a player/streamer unit I use an HTPC running XBMC and 7MC (For satellite decoding - another HP Microserver actually) in the lounge and an ATV2 with XBMC in the bedroom. Ticks all the boxes for me!

Associate
As everyone has mentioned above, have a look at the threads that are linked. Its easy to set up a HP microserver and is also the cheaper and more powerful than an off the shelf NAS. My set up above compromises of a HP microserver with unraid as the os, and the software on my htpc is XBMC which displays all of my mkv's with info and cover art. If you need any help or have questions then just ask :)

Soldato
Not to highjack....but with the microserver, Can you turn it off....add a disk....and it just adds the space like the netgear X-Raid stuff? Thats all Im after in a NAS...disk 1 to start cheap...add a disk to get redundancy...add another disk to upp the size...and so on. Possible?

Soldato
Not to highjack....but with the microserver, Can you turn it off....add a disk....and it just adds the space like the netgear X-Raid stuff? Thats all Im after in a NAS...disk 1 to start cheap...add a disk to get redundancy...add another disk to upp the size...and so on. Possible?

Depends what OS you run, but yes, some of the lightweight NAS linux OS can do that and I believe WHS does that too.

Associate
At the moment I use a nas and it streams fine (1080p HD files), I just ordered a few bits tho and will be setting home a storage server to hopeful replace them in a few months tho.

Soldato

Yes as said it depends entirely on the OS you choose to run. This is the precise reason I chose to run unRAID as its extremely versatile in this respect.

Associate
I have one of these with ubuntu server running on it (as free).

I use serviio media streamer to supply media to my PS3. The serviio media server has a nice client/daemon setup so I can control it from my PC.

Associate

With a copy of unraid you can do that. You can have different size disks, and add in new ones as you go along. You can even take an old disk out and replace it with a bigger one without losing data.

Soldato
I had a Synology DS411j and it was pretty good but after a few months I ended up getting rid and using a Microserver which is excellent!

Microserver is running WHS 2011 + FlexRaid, with 7TB of storage.

Uses Sabnzbd and Sickbeard, and streams to my Revo (bedroom) and the PS3 (living room) without any issues!

The only issue I have is that I cannot access Sabnzbd and Sickbeard from other computers on the same network. That is something to do with Firewalls but haven't really bothered checking.

Soldato
agree with the above - i knocked up a server from old bits and odds and ends on the members market.

Running W7 and streams/stores/hosts etc everything i need. outside the costs of the disks, i think it was about £100 to knock together.

Associate
Hi, my htpc is running windows 7 and I have it to start XBMC after 1 minute. XBMC allows me to organise my bluray rips (MKV's) and it will download all of the cover art and film info for me. I control it all with a Harmony One which keeps things simple for me and my girlfriend. If people are more interested I can knock up a video of it in action?

Here's some pics of the menu in action.

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_3734.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

As you can see, it makes film rips user friendly and easier to navigate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom