HP 'new' ZR24w

Soldato
Well after much deliberation, I decided to buy one of these. I was going to get a 27 or 30" display but I decided in the end that I didn't really want to spend that much money. And for £350 this was hard to ignore.

Well, I got my display today and I've been using it for a couple of hours now. First impression was 'oh god it's laser powered ....anyway after turning the brightness down to 25 it's fine and I can see again :p '

Well it's a lot better than the Dell ST2410 I have been using for about 4 months now, since I sold my Dell 2209WA's ...the colours are much deeper and more vibrant and the viewing angles are of course considerably better, as is the stand with proper height adjustment etc.

There a few things though that don't sit too well with me, all are well documented though, firstly I have a bit of a 'sheen' on the bottom left side of the display, it's only noticeable on dark backgrounds and only then if I lean forward, if I sit back in my chair it seems to disappear. I have not yet decided how much this is really going to bug me, so the jury is out on this one.

After trying various settings recommended by Baddass I have thus far settled on standard 6500k sRGB colour with 80% contrast and 25% brightness. I do not have a calibration device so I can't really take advantage of the 100% contrast setting without losing gamma accuracy.

Thus far the black level and detail in dark images is the worst I have had from an IPS display, I have had 4 to date, 2 x Dell 2209WA's, 1 x Samsung SyncMaster 213T (very old now) and this HP. I have also had a Dell 2407 pva display and 5 different TN film displays.

I would say without hesitation the best image quality of any of them, that I could achieve without having access to hardware calibration was on the Dell 2208WA's ...they were excellent, I only sold them as I missed the higher resolution of the 2407 I had prior to them. Also, the viewing angles were better on the 2209WA's.

Now I am back on a 24" 'quality' display, so making a direct comparison to the Dell 2407 pva that I sold to an OcUK member last year I would say that the HP is superior. The one thing that really prompted me to get rid of the Dell was the black crush it used to suffer and it also seemed slight grainy next to IPS and TN displays. This HP does not suffer from graininess at all really but it does have a degree of black crush, which is much more noticeable on this than any other IPS display I have had ...it is not as bad as the old pva Dell though.

I'm not sure what I think so far to be honest, it has not wowed me, but then I am not new to IPS, it's certainly much better than the Dell TN panel I have been using for months now, although that was far and away the best TN I have ever used, hugely better than the Samsung 206BW I had some years back on a second machine. It's a decent display but I do think the sheen and the uncalibrated contrast and black levels are a bit disappointing.

I was going to buy the more expensive HP L2475w ...but I decided to give this a go in the end in light of the fairly sizeable price difference and the fact it uses the standard sRGB colour-space.

Last edited:
Associate
Moeks, I know exactly what you mean.

I sent back my zr24w as I made the mistake of 'dual monitoring' with my old ips screen (philips 200w6cs) and in comparison, it didn't seem like an upgrade.

I had also sent back a dell 2408wfp but that had a fault.

I'm currently using an NEC 2690wuxi that is supposed to be brilliant and it is, but the large screen size takes getting used to. Also, I think it is too big for iplayer and other low quality video. It's quite expensive though.

So, my lessons learnt? don't go bigger than 24' and don't compare with older monitors with a dual setup :)

Associate
Just got mine this morning, so far I've been very impressed!

I've come from a DGM 24" PVA that had been on its way out for quite a while. As such I don't know if the previous state of my monitor is over amplifying the difference but I have to say at the moment I think this has been £330 well spent. Haven't got the old one side by side with the new for a direct comparison but even fresh out of the box it seemed to look so much better.

Have to say thanks to Badass for the tips in the review on tftcentral, along with the colour profiles, as using them seem to have helped out. Currently using the 6500k sRGB mode v2, with 7 bright/100 contrast, and its all looking good.

Associate
Switch it on, decrease the brightness (7 seems to be a popular setting), let it warm up for an hour or two, calibrate, and enjoy. :)

Re-calibrate it after, say, a week, then again after a month (and regularly after that). A proper calibration really makes a big difference with this monitor. (What device are you getting?)

Associate
Well, then, leave the monitor switched on for as long as possible (but not with a static image, of course), to get the backlight and everything as stable as possible. Then do the calibration. Run through the process a few times: I got better at balancing the RGB values after a couple of tries. :) Write down the values you end up using, just in case you ever have to reset the monitor to factory defaults.

Soldato
I used the TFTCentral review for Brightness/Contrast settings. In their review it had a serious detrimental affect to the colour accuracy and gamma, hence the need to calibrate properly to counteract it and end up with great overall image quality, but on mine it's not too bad so until I get my hands on a calibrator it'll do. I LOVE mine and having 16:10 is awesome too.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah, screensaver. The documentation states that you may get burn-in if you leave the same image displayed for 24 hours. (Personally, I'd feel uncomfortable even with that!)

I suggest doing the final calibration as late as possible (shortly before you have to return the device), because I think the colour tone changes most rapidly during the early life of the monitor. (Can anyone confirm or deny this?)

Soldato
Switch it on, decrease the brightness (7 seems to be a popular setting), let it warm up for an hour or two, calibrate, and enjoy. :)

Re-calibrate it after, say, a week, then again after a month (and regularly after that). A proper calibration really makes a big difference with this monitor. (What device are you getting?)

HP LCD CALIBRATION KIT KZ300AA

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...59-215153-330359-3741514-3741564-3741565.html

I wanted to adjust SCHEDULER at 00:00 every day to power off monitor, but it keeps reseting to 17:00?

I bought HP ZR24W and got this calibration kit

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/e...59-215153-330359-3741514-3741564-3741565.html

plugged to usb, installed software and wanted to start calibrating and this happens, any ideas why?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Associate
I didn't fully understand the question. What happens when you start calibrating?

From the look of it, that calibrator is a relabelled X-Rite Eye-One Display. The associated software is called Eye-One Match (unless HP has written their own software to go with the hardware). I've never had any problems with it (except when I tried to calibrate my netbook -- which is impossible (without using an external monitor)).

If you do have HP-specific software, try downloading Match 3 from the X-Rite website.

Associate
It's not unusual or unexpected that the white point would be different on different monitors.

That's the reason for calibrating your screens. :) (You can, however, choose the white point you use. There are several standard options, but the Match 3 software lets you choose any white point, as I recall. (I may recall incorrectly. ;)))

Soldato
Thanks for reply, Match 3 doesn't work hehe. Only with HP DreamColor Advanced Monitor Profiling Solution 2.0.0
Copyright 2010, X-Rite inc.

weird though :)

Associate
Ah, well, X-Rite confirms my suspicion: the hardware is surely identical (or almost identical) to the i1 Display 2.

Anyway, just pick one of the suggested white points (5000 or 6500 K are the usual values; I use the latter) and perform the calibration. It may be that your old monitor wasn't well calibrated. Your eyes will get used to the new colours within a few hours of use. :)

Back
Top Bottom