HP Omen i5-8300H with GTX 1060

Associate
I've one of these on order but I'm a little worried. Can someone who owns a 2018 Omen laptop with this CPU let me know what to expect in terms of thermals when running intensive games? I've seen a few people with the i7 model talk about temperatures in the high 90s which is clearly something to be avoided, will this be applied to the i5 model too or can I expect lower temperatures with there being less cores? And if there are high temperatures, can the Omen software center be used to lower the Turbo Boost or underclock it?

If someone can help out it would be appreciated.

Associate
OP
OK, this arrived and the first thing I did was update the BIOS. I then dropped the CPU wattage down to 25w in the BIOS before using Intel XTU to drop the voltage down by .125 and the turbo boost power max down from 45 to 25. This has resulted in great accoustics (it never gets too loud) and the CPU has never gone above 76c, even with 3D Mark (TimeSpy score 3650) and an hour of Witcher 3 on Ultra (haven't measured the FPS, but it's as smooth as butter). I'm thinking the i5 CPU might be the better option, for thermals at least.

The G-Sync offered by the GTX 1060 combined with the 144Hz screen makes a massive difference that I've not seen before. On Witcher 3 if you spin on the spot there are no dropped frames or tears. You only appreciate it once you've seen it, I doubt I will be able to go back to a 60Hz screen now for gaming at least.

Very happy. Only issues is a bit of backlight bleed (to be expected) and it's still a little hot to the touch when gaming. Again to be expected.

Associate
OP
Got a replacement arriving at PC World where I bought it from, purely to see if I can get a better model in terms of backlight. My fear though is that the CPU won't undervolt as well as this one does. I've got it down by .140 on both core and cache with rock solid stability, I've not had a single hang. It would be typical if I get a great screen with no bleed but a CPU that hangs with barely no undervolting.

Back
Top Bottom