HP Proliant G6 & G7 360, 380 and 580 - Thermal shutdown & UPS check

Soldato
At work we use HP Proliant G6 and G7 360, 380 and 580 servers.

I believe they are all out of warranty now.

I am going to assume they have never updated the bios's or ilo firmware on these servers.

What we want to achieve is the following:

1. In the event of a thermal shutdown we want the servers to stay off. What they currently do is reboot. Which is no good when the temperatures are escalating.

2. Detect when it is running on UPS.

Does any one have any experience with these servers?

I was thinking of upgrading the bioses and ilo firmware hoping that these options or at least the thermal shutdown option will be there.

Soldato
I don't use them much at all, ask me one on Supermicro :)

1 - I can't remember the specific model but I have seen on two different models that there is an option in the BIOS for this.
Weirdly though, the HP ones I've come across that shutdown due to overheating do stay powered off!

2 - For what purpose?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

How often is this happening that it's even a concern? I'd address whatever problem is causing this to happen repeatedly. You are relying on out of support hardware, and you have a situation where you are effectively harming the hardware by allowing it to overheat...?

For the UPS question, you need a UPS that can be monitored (via network, USB or serial). This will require some software provided by the UPS vendor. You then have to install an agent on all the servers in question, so that the UPS software can tell them to shut down if the UPS kicks in (usually you activate this rule when battery drops below a certain percentage so you aren't shutting stuff down during a minor power blip).

Soldato
HP will still provide support on G6 and G7 boxes - they only very recently removed things like DL380/580 G1's and MSA1000's off their support list with my old employer.

As others have said, without the HP support it is almost impossible to get access to the software. I did find some, other, sites to acquire the latest iLO software for some G6 and G7 DL580's I've got at home, but you need to think carefully about unknown sources for a production environment.

Associate
Good luck getting the BIOS updated out of warranty, I believe HP have essentially put a stop to that.

I wanted a BIOS for some servers but as you say they stopped this, after lengthy chat with our HP accounts manager we got one server put on maintenance agreement and was able to download the necessary BIOS and PSP files.

Caporegime
Unplug all the servers and throw them away. That will solve your heat issues, and since you're happy for them to just hard shutdown whenever the room they are in gets too hot I doubt they are running anything that people need to use anyway.

Back
Top Bottom