*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Ok so called them up, its going to be replaced when back in stock, bloke on the phone didn't really have a clue what i was talking about when i said head tracking issue.

Ah Dave, you have had no luck with your VR headsets!! Hope they get a replacement out to you quickly.

One thing i can say having owned both, apart from the the G2 being easier on the pc therefore better performance, there aint a massive difference between this and the Quest 2, its certainly not a light and day difference i was expecting imo

I did tell you ages ago that this would be the case. There was never going to be a night and day difference between them. The specs of the two headsets are very close together.

Associate
Ah Dave, you have had no luck with your VR headsets!! Hope they get a replacement out to you quickly.

I did tell you ages ago that this would be the case. There was never going to be a night and day difference between them. The specs of the two headsets are very close together.
Ha ha mate, you did,
Dont get me wrong it's better, and for my usage where I dont care about the standalone experience as even with a quest 2 it would probably be always hooked to the pc all the time,
But it's not massively better,
Better fov would have gone a long way to improving this I think,
Between the 2, the g2 suits me better, but I would easily see why someone would pick quest 2 over this,
Just depends on what you after I think :)

Associate
Ok just to throw something out there about my issue,
My issue is apparent in the WMR Environment, steam home, in games also,
So doing a bit more testing and in the steam home environment im seeing Dropped frames when my issue is apparent using fpsvr to monitor, but also dropped frames when not,
Now i know there are posts in other places about Nvidia screwing up vr a little where dropped frames are concerned,
i lost 20 frames in about 30 seconds,
To you veterans who know more about vr than me, could this be the cause?

Soldato
Ok just to throw something out there about my issue,
My issue is apparent in the WMR Environment, steam home, in games also,
So doing a bit more testing and in the steam home environment im seeing Dropped frames when my issue is apparent using fpsvr to monitor, but also dropped frames when not,
Now i know there are posts in other places about Nvidia screwing up vr a little where dropped frames are concerned,
i lost 20 frames in about 30 seconds,
To you veterans who know more about vr than me, could this be the cause?

Yeah I was going to mention that Nvidia are aware of an issue causing occasional dropped frames in VR. You could try an earlier driver.

Associate
Hope everyone is enjoying it now. I still have not got mine Parcelforce are a joke has been on the van since Wednesday when it should have been Tuesday delivery. After having someone in all day yesterday as to their internet track n trace they decide to try to deliver today and of course no one home. So now im on my second journey to the depot to wait in the car park until the van returns to base.

Associate
yeah lol
DOH! Catch 22

really starting to think this is my issue now, the timing of the issue always has a dropped frame to go with it, but does not seem to be affecting anyone else that I've seen,
Don't really notice it as much in games, more in the home environment's, maybe that's why as most people just jump straight into games, arh well will try and forget about it for now lol

Soldato
yeah lol

really starting to think this is my issue now, the timing of the issue always has a dropped frame to go with it, but does not seem to be affecting anyone else that I've seen,
Don't really notice it as much in games, more in the home environment's, maybe that's why as most people just jump straight into games, arh well will try and forget about it for now lol

Ad you know, out of luck on a 3000 series card as no drivers old enough to avoid the issue exist... so you’ll have to just wait for Nvidia to pull their finger out and fix their ****.

In the meantime you can disable steam home environment, doesn’t really do anything helpful anyway.

Also turn windows wmr settings down to low - only affects cliff house and will write less to vram, should page out anyway once suspended but I’ve seen some claim cliff house continues to bog down performance... unfortunately ms still don’t give the option to turn it off, but you can avoid it loading entirely by launching only directly from steam - it will start wmr but won’t load into cliff house until you press the windows key.

Try disabling any RGB software and any monitoring software as they use CPU interrupts and can cause stutter - see if your problem persists.

Associate
Just had an email response from HP regarding the issues i raised with them today - already done all this myself but not sure if this helps any of you

"This mail is in regard to case - 5xxxxxxx
which is for the issues with the HP Reverb G2 Virtual Reality Headset

Please check the following video for setup - https://youtu.be/n_ioEpGFt48

Regarding the USB issue, Please try the following and get back to us -

1. Update the host system Chipset and USB Controller drivers and BIOS firmware on the PC.
2. Check Windows Update and complete any available updates to ensure the HoloLens and Reverb G2 Drivers are up to date.
3. Try different USB-C and USB-A 3.0 ports (using the USB-A to USB-C adapter that was provided with Reverb G2). Begin with ports that are integrated to the host system board, then proceed to ports on USB Add-in Cards and Graphics Cards.
4. Try plugging the headset in through an external USB Hub (if they have one).

Regards
HP Support

Associate
Wow I'm well impressed with the G2. Had a G1 and lucky enough to have a quest 2 for family use. The G2 spanks all over both. Just shows what lenses can do as it's so much clearer and detailed than the G1. Colour reproduction is amazing too. Really happy actually as I was seriously thinking of just using the quest 2 which handled pc vr admirably. However flight sim 2020 is just too gorgeous on the G2 to look back. Does need a powerful pc though

Soldato
Ha ha mate, you did,
Dont get me wrong it's better, and for my usage where I dont care about the standalone experience as even with a quest 2 it would probably be always hooked to the pc all the time,
But it's not massively better,
Better fov would have gone a long way to improving this I think,
Between the 2, the g2 suits me better, but I would easily see why someone would pick quest 2 over this,
Just depends on what you after I think :)
There is hope for the FOV. I took the face plate off and the rendering was significantly wider than what you see in the headset. It's not usable without it but it just shows a better designed faceplate will give a significant boost to fov.

Associate
There is hope for the FOV. I took the face plate off and the rendering was significantly wider than what you see in the headset. It's not usable without it but it just shows a better designed faceplate will give a significant boost to fov.
I shall keep a look out, seems like the right headphone is also faulty on mine ha ha,

Associate
So I can't seem to get mine up and running.

I get a Error code: 13-14.

'Your headset failed to start at 90Hz. Make sure your headset's cables are plugged in correctly.'

I'm running a AMD 6800XT, with a AMD 3600 and a MSI Mortar B450 mobo.

Unplugged and reseated all of the cables several times.

If I change from 90hz to 60hz in the headset display settings on windows, the above error message doesn't come up. Instead the mixed reality portal app displays the VR content in a window on my monitor, but the headset shows no visuals.

Any ideas?

Associate
Does need a powerful pc though
Thanks for sharing your first impressions, soo looking forward to my G2, which was probably sold to Just-Dave :D. Q2 does need a powerful pc too due to compression overhead. Sadly, whereas for a pancake 4k is an overkill, for PCVR it's a must have, pretty much like 1080p is for pancake.

Associate
Thanks for sharing your first impressions, soo looking forward to my G2, which was probably sold to Just-Dave :D. Q2 does need a powerful pc too due to compression overhead. Sadly, whereas for a pancake 4k is an overkill, for PCVR it's a must have, pretty much like 1080p is for pancake.
Lmao, i like to think i secured mine lol

Associate
So I have the Q2 now. There's pros and cons to both. The G2 is much clearer and cleaner. I don't know how someone could say the difference is slight. On the flip side, the Q2 controllers and tracking are definitely better. Assetto Corsa is quite disappointing to look at on Q2. It's just much blurrier and more pixelated which also makes it feel less comfortable. I can rarely get the steam vr overlay to appear in game either. But really it depends on the game. Robo Recall is obviously less sharp and yet it controls better on the Q2. Beat Sabre doesn't show up the lack of resolution in the same manner, even untethered. My son is smitten with the Q2 and I don't think Argos will take it back once opened so I guess the Q2 is here to stay.

Associate
Wow I'm well impressed with the G2. Had a G1 and lucky enough to have a quest 2 for family use. The G2 spanks all over both. Just shows what lenses can do as it's so much clearer and detailed than the G1. Colour reproduction is amazing too. Really happy actually as I was seriously thinking of just using the quest 2 which handled pc vr admirably. However flight sim 2020 is just too gorgeous on the G2 to look back. Does need a powerful pc though

I'm the complete opposite. Been going back and forth with the G1 and G2 since yesterday and to say i'm underwhelmed would be a massive understatement.

Im just talking purely about the visuals. I dont care at all about tracking, controllers, audio etc.

If anyone in the NE is after one they can have mine for the £525 I paid

Soldato
An update on my performance issues in AMS 2 where I was getting 50-65fps and low GPU usage on my 2070S even despite lowering steam resolution down to 50%..

I haver rolled back to nvidia drivers 446.14 and I'm at a silky smooth 90FPS and gpu usage in the 90's.... anyone having VR performance issues on a 2000 series card, give these drivers a try.

I'm the complete opposite. Been going back and forth with the G1 and G2 since yesterday and to say i'm underwhelmed would be a massive understatement.

Im just talking purely about the visuals. I dont care at all about tracking, controllers, audio etc.

If anyone in the NE is after one they can have mine for the £525 I paid

What resolution are you using in steam out of interest?

Last edited:
Soldato
So I can't seem to get mine up and running.

I get a Error code: 13-14.

'Your headset failed to start at 90Hz. Make sure your headset's cables are plugged in correctly.'

I'm running a AMD 6800XT, with a AMD 3600 and a MSI Mortar B450 mobo.

Unplugged and reseated all of the cables several times.

If I change from 90hz to 60hz in the headset display settings on windows, the above error message doesn't come up. Instead the mixed reality portal app displays the VR content in a window on my monitor, but the headset shows no visuals.

Any ideas?

Known issue with the new AMD 6000 cards I believe - apparently HP have sent samples to AMD for them to figure their **** out.

Reverb G2 and Radeon RX 6800 : HPReverb (reddit.com)

Back
Top Bottom