*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
VorpX updated yesterday, now supporting OpenXR.

Lifted from the change log:

• OpenXR support added (beta): this is the big addition this time, making vorpX’s technical fundament future proof for the next few years to come. OpenXR is the upcoming industry wide VR API that will – or at least is supposed to – eventually superseed the current vendor specific APIs from Oculus, Valve and Microsoft. OpenXR is recommended now for WMR headsets, works better with vorpX than WMR over SteamVR. For Oculus there isn’t much of a difference, so you can stick to Oculus or try OpenXR if you want. Valve’s OpenXR implementation isn’t quite ready yet (e.g. no 32bit), so for native SteamVR headsets like Index/Vive/Pimax stick to SteamVR for the time being.

Only had time to quickly check out the performance with Empyrion, i would agree with the testimonials from others reporting performance gains with WMR and the G2. Over the weekend i'll stress it some with some Titanfall, Fallen Order, Battle Front 2, and Farming sim.

Excuse my ignorance on this. I've heard of OpenXR but no idea what this means to me right now. Is this an alternative to SteamVR? Or will it be integrated into Steam VR? Any of the games I currently play in SteamVR (iRacing, Pavlov, Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Simulator) going to be affected?

Soldato
I've heard of OpenXR but no idea what this means to me right now

Not a lot unless you're in to MS flight sim, VorpX, or another thing i can't remember that currently supports it (eXpanSIM). If you've a Reverb then there's no need to fire up SteamVR after starting up the Windows reality platform, any application supporting OpenXR will automatically boot in the headset. I believe it's much the same with anything oculus, directly in to OpenXR without the need to bridge with Steam. Like the blurb says Valve have yet to integrate in to SteamVR. The premise as the blub says is to unify a development standard across all platforms, hopefully it plays out across all competing companies for the greater good of the user and developers. I have my doubts given the awful tribal nature of the VR industry in general and the willingness from most parties to close shop on platform given the fledgling status of VR and the want to control their own eco-systems

As for the games you've mentioned, a industry standard would have helped them bring VR to their titles in the first instance, but the like of truck sim, i-racing, and ac are pretty much done and entrenched. Pavlov i spose might do something with OpenXR, but that's a game that'll quickly get forgotten about as soon as big player comes in and blows it out of the water.

Last edited:
Soldato
...Like the blurb says Valve have yet to integrate in to SteamVR

What do you mean? Steam has had OpenXR support for a while... Even using a G2 you can set Steam as the system default OXR runtime and run your OpenXR games such as MSFS through Steam if you so choose. Kind of defeats the point somewhat but does allow you to use eg fpsVR with MSFS which you wouldn’t otherwise be able to do unless using an index/vive etc.

In the most simple form it’s just an industry standard that is mostly headset agnostic. The big win is for developers, as they can just create their games using OpenXR runtime and it’ll “just work” on any OpenXR compatible headset - no need to support and debug multiple runtimes like WMR, OpenVR (steam), and Oculus VR.

For the user the main benefit is that you can run a headset natively rather than going through (potentially performance hindering) compatibility layers if the game doesn’t support your runtime. In theory it also opens up store choices but that rather depends on certain players. With OpenXR there would be no technical limitation to you buying a game on the Oculus PCVR store and running natively on your Index for example... whether Oculus choose to allow such a thing is another question though!

Soldato
OP
Just installed F33h with AGESA 1.2.0.2 on my X570 Aorus Pro. Has not fixed audio issues :(

Edit: Been playing around. Updated the firmware on the G2, tried every single USB port on my mobo and case. Only ports that do work are the front USB3.0.

So back to using the hub in my monitor.

Last edited:
Associate
I want a VR headset just mainly for Iracing I have a Rift S at the moment, is this headset the one to go for? Any advice appreciated. They seem hard to get but I can pick one on amazon for £650 from Spain just not sure as every article I read is so different.

Soldato
I want a VR headset just mainly for Iracing I have a Rift S at the moment, is this headset the one to go for? Any advice appreciated. They seem hard to get but I can pick one on amazon for £650 from Spain just not sure as every article I read is so different.

If you only want to play racing games, then it's an excellent headset, but the controllers aren't amazing for games that require motion controllers.

Soldato
I have a rift s I found those controllers ok could I use them with it? or is it more tracking related rather than controller quality

Sorry the two tracking systems are incompatible. You can use Valve Index controllers, but it's very expensive as you need base stations as well as the controllers, and it requires a lot of messing about to setup.

Associate
ok thanks for your help as its mainly for racing I think ill just get HP Reverb G2 as the visuals look great and it doesnt need base stations which I prefer

Associate
When I load DCS or Il-2 Great Battles I get a flashing screen behind a small blue screen with the name of the sim on it. Is this WMR or Steam and what can I do about it?
Thanks in advance

Soldato
I get that flashing/stuttering while loading certain games like DCS and IL2 as well. I got it on the Quest and the CV1 too. I think it’s just the CPU being hammered during loading and unable to supply the GPU… as it’s happened across multiple headsets I have always assumed it’s just specific to the way those games are made.

Associate
I never had it when using my 1080+CV1. Il-2 would show a black screen with the egg timer when loading a mission, DCS was fine. Now the DCS mission loading screen shows about 4 out of sync copies of the loading bar and Il-2 goes psychedelic but is fine once the mission has loaded.

Associate
I noticed I lose about 15 fps sometimes when I start a game after doing other stuff on the pc (I use 3ds max / photoshop etc.), even when I close everything prior. It usually goes back up when I restart the pc or WMR but sometimes it takes 2 restarts. Anyone experiencing similar issues?

Associate
My G2 seems to have given up the ghost. About to look into RMA options, but in case anyone can think of anything I've missed. No obvious event that caused it, just came back to it after a week or 2 of no use.

Symptom is error 4-1 - "Check your USB Cable - Make sure the USB cable is plugged into the superspeed USB 3.0 port"

I've had this type of error intermittently before, but a full week of trying loads of stuff and I can't get past it. I've tried:

Re-seating the cable into the actual headset
Updating BIOS (I am running X570, but am now on AGESA 1.2.0.2)
All possible USB 3.0 ports on PC, and all on my Hub, which is where everything previous worked fine (and all other USB stuff still OK)
I have 3 monitors, each with USB 3.0 hubs, tried all of those too
A PCI-E USB 3.1 card, which has full and type-C ports, in case the type-c adaptor that came with the G2 was at fault.
Plugged into my son's PC, same message.

Any other ideas? Also, I can only see options on the HP site to contact by phone, which is a bit of a pain as office hours. Anyone had any experience of RMA with a Reverb?

Soldato
Read up on this and it seems on some motherboards the unit defaults to USB 2.0 for some reasons, a fix is to purchase a USB 3.0 PCI-E card as you did . Other than that it's likely a faulty data cable.

I have a new openbox unit on it's way from the U.S and Interestingly enough they emphasised the headunit and data cable have their serials recorded prior to dispatch, maybe they've experience a lot of the old swaparoos and returns with the cable and it reflects it's high failure rate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom