*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Any other ideas? Also, I can only see options on the HP site to contact by phone, which is a bit of a pain as office hours. Anyone had any experience of RMA with a Reverb?

if you are using an AMD chipset there have been some BIOS updates in the past few weeks which supposedly address some of the out of spec USB, I see you've looked into that might you have introduced a problem with a new BIOS? something to consider... also are there any signs of cable damage (easy to do with twists or chair rollers)... try removing all but essential USB devices so really just your keyboard/mouse direct, no hubs

besides that sounds like you're out of options, send it back

Soldato
My G2 seems to have given up the ghost. About to look into RMA options, but in case anyone can think of anything I've missed. No obvious event that caused it, just came back to it after a week or 2 of no use.

Symptom is error 4-1 - "Check your USB Cable - Make sure the USB cable is plugged into the superspeed USB 3.0 port"

I've had this type of error intermittently before, but a full week of trying loads of stuff and I can't get past it. I've tried:

Re-seating the cable into the actual headset
Updating BIOS (I am running X570, but am now on AGESA 1.2.0.2)
All possible USB 3.0 ports on PC, and all on my Hub, which is where everything previous worked fine (and all other USB stuff still OK)
I have 3 monitors, each with USB 3.0 hubs, tried all of those too
A PCI-E USB 3.1 card, which has full and type-C ports, in case the type-c adaptor that came with the G2 was at fault.
Plugged into my son's PC, same message.

Any other ideas? Also, I can only see options on the HP site to contact by phone, which is a bit of a pain as office hours. Anyone had any experience of RMA with a Reverb?
Yeah just had the same thing, if you call 0207 6600 403 you should get the option for a WhatsApp invite to contact support. Otherwise it took me a bit of effort to get past the first line, but now they are sending me a new cable. If that fails it will be a new headset I guess.

Associate
Yeah just had the same thing, if you call 0207 6600 403 you should get the option for a WhatsApp invite to contact support. Otherwise it took me a bit of effort to get past the first line, but now they are sending me a new cable. If that fails it will be a new headset I guess.

Thanks for the replies. Bit the bullet and called support yesterday. Took a good half hour of asking the usual questions, but also getting a new cable sent out. They said none in stock, but this morning got a dispatched email.

Will update once tested, fingers crossed.

Associate
So the new cable arrived. Plugged everything in and it immediately opened WMR with a message that it was updating firmware, which definitely seemed like an improvement. Unfortunately though it never went any further, just stuck on 'Updating firmware, do not disconnect" etc etc.

Not wanting to brick it, I left it for a good hour (was at work so easy enough to do), no better. Reboot etc, different USB ports, it just immediately goes back to that updating firmware loop. Tried updating firmware manually, doesn't work, as the WMR portal must be running for the firmware update to start, apparently.

Phoned HP again, after another hour of the same old questions he diagnosed... a faulty cable. Despite my protestations he had no other suggestions. Luckily it's in the post already and will be here tomorrow so when it's no better I'd hope we get a suggestion other than the cable. To be fair, the behaviour with this cable is definitely different to the other one, but it seems unlikely that this brand new cable is now at fault, and would cause a firmware upgrade loop issue like this.

Luckily I've got the Quest, so not hugely missing it, but it's starting to get annoying.

Soldato
which cable did you get? Did it have a bigger breakout box than the original?

My headset has just started playing up recently with the switching audio back and forth problem, sometimes crashing my games as the USB re-initialises and switches back to the headset.

edit - how the hell do you actually get through to anyone? Called that number and ended up find out out the virtual assistant is useless and ended up referring me to a page that wouldn't recognise my serial number, nor list the reverb as a product. Call again and hold on for further options and they don't seem to have any options that cover the G2... only printers, and business solutions.

Last edited:
Associate
which cable did you get? Did it have a bigger breakout box than the original?

My headset has just started playing up recently with the switching audio back and forth problem, sometimes crashing my games as the USB re-initialises and switches back to the headset.

edit - how the hell do you actually get through to anyone? they don't seem to have any options that cover the G2, only printers, computers and business solutions.

It looked identical to the original to be honest, no idea why they should be so liable to break.

With regards to getting through, it's actually classed as a business solution, seemingly. It's under 'other business' or suchlike, you speak to someone, tell them immediately it's for the G2, and they transfer. I've got someone pretty quick on each occasion. Be prepared to jump through all of the hoops (different USB ports, multiple reboots etc. They seem to have 'new cable' at the end of a lot of their support flowcharts, so a decent chance you'll get one if that's what you're after.

Soldato
Obviously it's a business solution :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Yeah so seemingly there is a new rev of cable Just got the Newer revision G2 Cable. : HPReverb (reddit.com) with part number L72080-002 (original being ...001) but obviously no indication of any actual changes so might not be anything meaningful.

Will be interesting if you next replacement is the same... they look very similar but the new one is a bit wider at the breakout box and has a tiny power switch.

Perhaps I'll wait a bit for them to run out of stock of the old cable!

Associate
Obviously it's a business solution :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Yeah so seemingly there is a new rev of cable Just got the Newer revision G2 Cable. : HPReverb (reddit.com) with part number L72080-002 (original being ...001) but obviously no indication of any actual changes so might not be anything meaningful.

Will be interesting if you next replacement is the same... they look very similar but the new one is a bit wider at the breakout box and has a tiny power switch.

Perhaps I'll wait a bit for them to run out of stock of the old cable!

Well I've got 3 here now, unsurprisingly cable no.3 is behaving the same as cable no.2. However cable no.1 was clearly broken, so they are liable to go it seems.

I'm now waiting for my issue to get escalated, having spent another half an hour retracing steps they've finally conceded it might not be the cable this time.

Soldato
Can I have one of your now many cables then? :cry:

Good result, obviously takes some faffing but at least the support is there (once you figure out your consumer headset is a business solution :rolleyes:)!

Associate
Can I have one of your now many cables then? :cry:

Good result, obviously takes some faffing but at least the support is there (once you figure out your consumer headset is a business solution :rolleyes:)!

I actually got a trust message already asking for one :) Unfortunately they have sent packaging to return the other ones, so they are going back. If I can manage to 'forget' to post one, I'll likely keep it as a spare, seeing as they are obviously so fragile, and warranty will be over in a few months....

Associate
got my reverb G2 today, H-L Alyx started and works really well, however when you get to the van (it blows up) and then my PC crashes each time. is this known? is there a work around?

I made sure i have every windows/GeForce/etc etc software driver up to date yesterday before it arrived.

EDIT 1: My MSI Unify bios needed upgrading and that did the trick.
EDIT 2: Got to the opening of the quarantine gate and crashed the computer
E
DIT 3: Reset graphics overclocking in Afterburner, no crashes anymore

Last edited:
Soldato
My suspicion that the new cable revision was hiding some juicy goodness was correct…

https://www.reddit.com/r/HPReverb/c...urce=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Revision 2 of the Reverb G2 Cable and all the Mysteries Within! (Official Announcement Stuff.)

Hey folks,

By now, most of you have seen that the Reverb Omnicept has a different cable than the G2.

“Will it work with the G2?” you ask. Why yes it will!

Here is what the new cable has to offer:

​

* Power switch!
* No more disconnecting the HMD from the PC or yanking the power cord out!
* Additional "Magic Tech™\*” in the bigger split-box!
* More specifically, we have improved USB connectivity issues by adding some hardware that helps clean up the signal from USB sources.
* AMD folks will GREATLY benefit from this – I’ve tested these myself on my Omen 30L AMD system and every HMD I have works like a dream.
* No more needing to use USB hubs/PCI cards in most cases.

“*OK*,” you may ask, “*But what about my G2 that isn’t Omnicept? We want this too!*”

Well the good news is that we will be rolling this cable into newly produced Reverb G2 *and* Omnicept. ***Even for support!***

So, if you have a Rev1 G2 cable, and are having connectivity issues, contact support and let them know the problem and any new cable that is sent out will be the Rev2! (With “Magic Tech™\*”!!!)

^(\*“Magic Tech” means that we have built a USB hub module into the new link box which cleans up the signal.\*Magic Tech is not a Trade Mark of HP Inc or any of its subsidiaries. I just made it up to amuse myself.)

———

**Q**: **Who can get a cable?**
**A**: if you have an issue with your cable or if you have an AMD based system, you can ask for one and one will be sent. Any new cable that is sent out will be the Rev2

**Q**:**How do I get one?
A**: Call up the support team and they can supply you with one. If you want extras, they are also sold online as accessories.

**Q**: **What is different with this cable?
A**: This cable has been improved with the “Magic tech” that is really a built in, and qualified hub in the new link box, that cleans up the signal.

**Q**: **Have these been thoroughly tested on AMD systems?
A**: We expanded our AMD testing for this cable and worked directly with AMD to confirm this new cables fixes the no-connection issues.

**Q**: **What if I have a Rev1 cable that isn’t having issues, can I call support and get a Rev2?
A**: We would prefer that only people with issues and AMD systems to call and get the new cable at the moment. Please keep in mind that stock is ready to go and there are people that ***NEED*** these cables in order to enjoy their experience with their Reverb G2, so keep them in mind.

If you want to buy a spare cable, you can do so here:

https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-reverb-g2-6-meter-cable#!

This is for the US, but you can search in your region too. :)

If you have other questions, please ask away!

-----

Edit: The internal information about the cable has been sent to the call centres, but it seems some agents have not gotten the word yet. There is what we call an EA (Engineering Advisory) in the system and agents *should always be looking at these when in a call*... it seems some forget to do this. Call back and tell them to look at the "EA" and have them search for "New 6M Cable".

The old part number automatically rolls to the new cable so you will get one if they know or not. If you do, for some reason, get an old cable (You shouldn't as we purged the Rev1 cables, just call back and explain the situation - get me involved if needed.)

Soldato
I recently installed a 6800XT and had issues getting my G1 to work with it. After some searching, I discovered a firmware update from HP, and that fixed it instantly. (I'm on X570).

I just tried to check for G2 firmware, but I'm on my phone. (It auto detected my OS as android and told me it had no compatible software.)

Associate
It's just further up this thread :) looks like 12th July, bad timing it turns out.

Still going to ring them as it's still not stable, and it looks like as I'm on an AMD system they should still replace it

Back
Top Bottom