*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Not sure I would wait for an Index 2, we have no indication when (or even truly if tbh) it will release.... there have been a load of patents recently but patents are ultimately no guarantee of a product ever even coming to market. I'm certain it'll be amazing when it arrives but it could be next year, it could be 2023, it could be never!

Oculus connect in a couple of months will almost certainly involve a Quest 3 or Quest Pro announcement.

new cable arrived today, look forward to seeing if it solves issues.

Last edited:
Soldato
Happy to say I put in a good MSFS VR session this evening and no audio switching nonsense or USB weirdness... power switch is a good addition.

V2 cable gets a thumbs up from me!

Soldato
Not had email from HP but just had text from DHL saying I have a delivery from HP by end of play today, I have not ordered anything else from them so must be my cable :)

edit... and it has arrived. I am working all today so wont get chance to try it, but the cable is different as has a bigger block on it with a button, so it is the right one.

No returns bag or anything. I am ok to return the old cable, but only if they supply the stuff, and am not going to go out of my way to chase it, untill i have to send it back i will keep as an emergency spare.

Last edited:
Soldato
My new cable has arrived also.

Just got it set up now, all seems fine but my issue is/ was the very random short blue screen flashes I sometimes get in the display so won't know if it's made any difference for a while. When they happen it's usually in conjunction with the headtracking going a bit wonky as the image will often shift too, so it's probably nothing to do with the cable.

I was hoping I'd be able to plug directly into the usbc port of my motherboard, which I can and it works fine, and use the little power switch on the breakout box to control the headset, alas you can use the switch to turn it off, but the headset still comes on automatically and WMR loads when I boot my PC (annoying), so it's back to my little usb3 hub with power switches for me.

Are people generally going to return the old cable then? I really want to keep mine as a spare

Associate
My new cable has arrived also.
I was hoping I'd be able to plug directly into the usbc port of my motherboard, which I can and it works fine, and use the little power switch on the breakout box to control the headset, alas you can use the switch to turn it off, but the headset still comes on automatically and WMR loads when I boot my PC (annoying), so it's back to my little usb3 hub with power switches for me.

Ah, that's a little annoying but nothing a smart plug can't fix hooked up to a voice assistant.

Soldato
@bigmike20vt you use the box it came in, open the stuff in the clear bag stuck to the box and it contains return labels.

really..... thanks for that info... no one on the support line mentioned that to me at all, and it isnt obvious. would be such a shame if the packaging all got binned in error.

(seriously i bet a lot of people will do that accidentally......)

the cable will just go in the bin anyway its not like HP can adapt it and sell it on.... seems such a waste.

Soldato
Well actually interesting you say that, I noticed on the return label it says “UEEE repair, not waste - as per 2012/19/EU Annex VI”

So perhaps they are actually planning to reuse the suitably good condition cables as refurb units by changing over the box…

Associate
From a Facebook group I'm on it seems the UK is one of the only locations where they are asking for the old cables back. I had 2 replacement old style cables a month or two back and can confirm that they enthusiastically chased me to return the old cables, despite me deliberately not seeing their emails a couple of times.

Soldato
Well it's early days but my 15 min impression of new cable is positive.. I plugged directly into my USB c motherboard port and it seemed to work just fine where as it would not have it before.
I didn't try my pcie card as that would take longer to diagnose than I had (that only cut out every now and then)

Associate
I took receipt of my G2 just over a week ago. Error 4.1 on all ports of my Asus Strix Z490 motherboard. The cable connector on the headset end was extremely tight and just didn't feel right.
After a lot of faffing about finding the right department HP said they would send a new cable. By the way the original cable was the new type with the switch.

It arrived yesterday and felt much easier to attach and the headset fired up straight away. I started going through the boundaries etc; and entered the villa but it was showing my xbox 360 controller rather than the reverb controllers. I disconnected the xbox one controller and went through the setup app to get the controllers working. Just keep getting "paired, not connected". I have connected them to my motherboard instead which was a bit hit and miss but they will not show up when looking through the headset either.
I've googled this like mad but haven't found anything relevant so looks like I will be talking with HP again today. Frankly I think I'll be asking for a refund. These problems don't exactly fill me with confidence against having future problems.

Associate
Never had an issue with the controllers, lots of other teething issues though.

Me and the G2 are in a pretty good place since all of the BIOS updates, new cables and indeed a whole new headset recently :)

Associate
Just had another play and found my batteries were 1.2v ones. I used the batteries that came in the box and still no joy. For some reason I tried putting a controller touching the headset and it connected.
Got the other one connected but when trying them either 1 or the other stops working periodically. Moving them further than about 12" from the headset is a no-no.

I will try some other batteries which I'll have to go and buy and if still the same I give up.

Associate
I've gave in and just got off the phone with HP.
I turned the headset off for a short while and when I restarted it only the right controller was connected. Took me over 30 minutes to coax the other to connect.

I fired up VR VTOL to give it another try and never even made it to the runway, lol. Just as I give my aircraft some throttle the controllers would disconnect and slowly reconnect leaving me hurtling towards a cliff with no steering and no way to brake.
Has to be said it looks stunning but having one you can barely use is probably worse than not having one at all.

Back
Top Bottom