*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
So the powered usb card didn't help.
Think I'm going to install a fresh Windows into a spare hard disk and see if it plays ball then. To be fair my current install is a couple of years old so a new clean install might be sensible.

Going to speak to hp support on Monday and get a new cable, hopefully on warranty

I have a Reverb G1 and built a VR driving sim for someone else using a G2. My experience with the G2 prompted me to buy another G1 as a backup. The G2 was just too much hassle.

If you don't need the adjustable IPD, I recommend getting a G1 (probably mostly refurbs and used out there now). The two different X570 builds both worked well with the G1.

Associate
I wonder how much of this issue is due to the 6m cable?
I actually have almost 5m of it coiled up and hung on the wall out of the way. A 2m cable would be just fine for my usage!

I think I could probably do without the IPD slider but the G2 controllers are a lot better and I have the G2 anyways. It's been fine since I got it, but decided it doesn't want to work now I've unplugged it.

Soldato
I have a Reverb G1 and built a VR driving sim for someone else using a G2. My experience with the G2 prompted me to buy another G1 as a backup. The G2 was just too much hassle.

If you don't need the adjustable IPD, I recommend getting a G1 (probably mostly refurbs and used out there now). The two different X570 builds both worked well with the G1.
Was that with the new cable ? The launch cable was not fit for purpose and imo issues caused by it are essentially using a faulty product and judging performance based off that I think is not giving the G2 a fair crack. (That said HP are not helping themselves either as there needs to be a full on product recall on that crappy cable)
If OTOH your issues are with the new cable then that is a problem . Now with my new cable functionality is as good as with any winMR headsets imo (which basically means minor hassle , usable but not as good as oculus)

Don't forget it's not just the controllers which are better with the G2 but also the tracking. The G2 has 2 more cameras on it giving a wider tracking FOV.

Soldato
Was that with the new cable ? The launch cable was not fit for purpose and imo issues caused by it are essentially using a faulty product and judging performance based off that I think is not giving the G2 a fair crack. (That said HP are not helping themselves either as there needs to be a full on product recall on that crappy cable)
If OTOH your issues are with the new cable then that is a problem . Now with my new cable functionality is as good as with any winMR headsets imo (which basically means minor hassle , usable but not as good as oculus)

Don't forget it's not just the controllers which are better with the G2 but also the tracking. The G2 has 2 more cameras on it giving a wider tracking FOV.

It was the original cable, but it sounds like it may be easier to source a G1 than the new cable for the G2?

The G2's FOV didn't seem any better than my G1, but I think that was because the G2 facial interface didn't let your eyes get as close to the lenses as the G1.

Still, the G2 has adjustable IPD and slightly better color. The color difference was only noticable the instant I switched headsets and easily forgotten in about half a lap in a driving sim.

The controller tracking may be better but I only use the headset for seated VR.

For seated VR, *when everything is working properly*, the G2 is "better" than the G1, but only just.

Soldato
My G2 was playing up. Not detecting, going blank in games. Just thought it was a bloated OS issue after Graphics card change and OS update from 10 - 11. Turns out it looks like it was the cable connection at the head set end. I had tied the cable down to the head piece but I think because that raises up and down it's slowly pulled the cable out causing the issue. I've always disliked that connector. It can be very fiddly to put in right. Seems to catch and then you don't know how hard to press. Anyway just something to look at if you're having issues.

Associate
Picked up a G2 and it runs rather nicely with the 1070 and half res but I accidentally picked up a 3070 in last nights FE stock drop, it's expensive hanging around these parts :D

It's less expensive now, the 1070 sold for 341 quid, offsetting the majority of the cost of the 3070 :)

Associate
We have one on order (we = this was actually a family decision given Covid, we wanted to have some fun together during Christmas)

PC is an Alienware repurposed with a 3070 Ti FE. We got the Reverb G2 with controllers. I was almost going to pull the trigger on the index, but with the G2 my son can borrow the unit for his own PC without having to set up the base stations.

Oh, and if cyberpunk does release a VR mod I am all over it. I LOVE THAT GAME (well, the ending is horrible, but I am hoping they will retcon that with a future update).

Associate
Headset arrived, worked perfectly once I had remembered to plug the power in!
New V2 cable works first time in the usb c port, the old one would never even consider it :)

Soldato
System active are now selling the upgraded G2 which until now was US only.
I look forward to seeing a side by side comparison. Am sure I will be envious but won't be upgrading.

Message as follows

Hello, Mike!

Just a quick note to let you know we have received a limited amount of the latest version Reverb G2 headsets. So if you or anyone you know is looking for one we have some in stock now that won't last long.

You can buy the HP Reverb G2 headsets on our site now https://systemactive.co.uk/online/hp-reverb-g2/

Enhancements are as follows

AWARD WINNING VR HEADSET JUST GOT BETTER
Improved Controller Tracking
Get improved tracking below the waist with 30% more vertical area coverage
Extended Cable Compatibility
The 6M cable is now compatible with all AMD systems. Intel® systems continue to be compatible
New Adjustable Facemask
With the new adjustable eye relief facemask, you can easily customize your eye distance from the lenses to get an improved visual experience

Associate
So having had the 3070 for almost two weeks and not being able to use it for vr (the whole point of the upgrade!) due to the G2 going pop, I'm now back up and running.

Using the same settings as before in DCS, except with double the resolution (100% Vs 50%) and extra graphics turned up it's still pulling 5-10ms faster frametimes than the 1070 :D

It has been a fortuitous month, sale of the 1070 recovered over 60% of the cost of the 3070 after fees, G2 headset and cable both got replaced under warranty and it's all working very nicely :)

Soldato
So having had the 3070 for almost two weeks and not being able to use it for vr (the whole point of the upgrade!) due to the G2 going pop, I'm now back up and running.

Using the same settings as before in DCS, except with double the resolution (100% Vs 50%) and extra graphics turned up it's still pulling 5-10ms faster frametimes than the 1070 :D

It has been a fortuitous month, sale of the 1070 recovered over 60% of the cost of the 3070 after fees, G2 headset and cable both got replaced under warranty and it's all working very nicely :)

Somebody said to me once "good things comes to those that wait" :p

Glad it has all worked out for you :)

Back
Top Bottom