*** HP Reverb G2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
I had a g2 around a year ago and ended up selling it due to issues, namely performance drops while playing steam games and having to deal with WMR. Can anyone confirm if the experience is better now 1 year later?

Soldato
I had a g2 around a year ago and ended up selling it due to issues, namely performance drops while playing steam games and having to deal with WMR. Can anyone confirm if the experience is better now 1 year later?
Yes.

Built a rig in February of 2021 and had a lot of issues.

Just built another rig for someone else (with another G2) a couple months ago and it has been solid.

Soldato
the.main issues I had with my G2 were with the launch cable. since having it replaced things have been vastly improved. it's still not as nice as oculus , it still feels like software sitting on top of software.rather than a directly supported headset like my rift was when using native titles... but it is more than usable and I love mine.

Associate
Hi All,
would appreciate any help. The white light on the small power box on the G2 cable is not on. Tried different plugs and even the fuse but no power to the headset. I assume the cable has failed? Anyone know where I can get a new one? HP appear to be out of stock.
thanks
Josh

Soldato
A quick google and an online retailer has them due in stock 22 june.
Mines been fine but I was going to pre-empt an issue and get one... Forgot and now I'll have to wait... Hopefully mine will last

Hi All,
would appreciate any help. The white light on the small power box on the G2 cable is not on. Tried different plugs and even the fuse but no power to the headset. I assume the cable has failed? Anyone know where I can get a new one? HP appear to be out of stock.
thanks
Josh

Associate
Thanks. Went to EBay cause didn’t want to wait until June. It arrived today and is the V2 with the power button, but….. the headset is still dead. Tried different wall plugs and PC ports but the screen just says connect headset.

Anyone else had this and have a fix? I am out of warranty :(

Josh

Associate
Update. bought a new power adapter and the light came on the new cable but nothing from the headset at all. Still not powering up. So if the original power cable wasn't lighting up but the new one is could it be something like a lightning strike or power surge?

Josh

Associate
Update. bought a new power adapter and the light came on the new cable but nothing from the headset at all. Still not powering up. So if the original power cable wasn't lighting up but the new one is could it be something like a lightning strike or power surge?

Josh
Maybe try your luck with customer service. Perhaps warranty reset after the new cable was sent out to you to replace the glitchy version 1?

Associate
what batteries are you guys using? i bought a set of PKCELL Ni-Zn AA which are 1.6V but they're all dead despite saying they're at full charge. I have loads of fantastic eneloops but they're only rated to 1.2V.

Associate
what batteries are you guys using? i bought a set of PKCELL Ni-Zn AA which are 1.6V but they're all dead despite saying they're at full charge. I have loads of fantastic eneloops but they're only rated to 1.2V.
I've used 1.2v cells in the controllers without any issues they just never register as fully charged.

Soldato
Been seeing that the new X670 boards for Ryzen 7000 series works fine with the G2 on the V1 cable, so whatever USB issue AMD had on the X570 boards seems to be solved, no longer need to worry if you have the V1 or V2 cable.

Associate
I have the issue of audio not always working. The only constant is that if it sets itself up as “headphones” it doesn’t work, if it sets itself up as “speakers” then it does...

I have not yet been able to ascertain any rhyme nor reason as to why it decides to start as one or the other, but it is infuriating and sometimes just requires a couple of power cycles, sometimes I have to fully uninstall the device and drivers and reboot. Just now in fact I spent 20 minutes of my precious play time before putting the kids to bath and bed just trying to get the damn audio to start.
I happened across these posts when revisiting an old, persistent problem for me, i.e. I've always suffered from the issue described here, whereby the only way to get the sound working in my HP Reverb G2 is to repeatedly switch if off-and-on-again until something mysterious changes. When it isn't working Windows lists the Reverb G2 sound output as "Headphones" and when it does as "Speakers". Did anyone find a definitive solution to this please?
I've tried different BIOS versions, completely expunged the Realtek drivers from my PC and reinstalled them, removed USB drivers and have them reinstall again and in terms of hardware I've tried both powered USB hubs and two different PCIe USB cards... and nothing works! I've also tried both the "old" (v1) cable and "new" (v2) cable.

MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI (PCIe 3)
i9-10900KF
RTX 3090 FE
64 Gb RAM
Windows 10 64-bit 21H2

In case it is related I should also mention that whenever the sound on my Reverb G2 does work, I use it, then I close WMR (and disconnect the G2) I do not get any sound through my conventional speakers until I restart my PC!

Last edited:
Soldato
Has anyone here recently started to have problems with SteamVR crashing when using the reverb G2.

so far i have only noticed it in elite dangerous Odyssey so it could be that game rather than steamVR.
this is when both steamVR is set to openXR or when it is set to Windows MR open XR.

ultimately i plan to dig back into open composite again and bin off steamVR but in the mean time it would be nice to get to the bottom of this crashing.

i have tried jiggling the usb ports around, and currently have put the headset in a pcie separate hub. it is the V2 cable.

AMD 5800+, 570 tomahawk motherboard and a RTX3090FE. (and reverb G2 version 1 with the new cable)

I also have the oculus software installed for my quest 2. another thing i should do is try it in my quest 2 i suppose.

Associate
Has anyone here recently started to have problems with SteamVR crashing when using the reverb G2.

so far i have only noticed it in elite dangerous Odyssey so it could be that game rather than steamVR.
this is when both steamVR is set to openXR or when it is set to Windows MR open XR.

ultimately i plan to dig back into open composite again and bin off steamVR but in the mean time it would be nice to get to the bottom of this crashing.

i have tried jiggling the usb ports around, and currently have put the headset in a pcie separate hub. it is the V2 cable.

AMD 5800+, 570 tomahawk motherboard and a RTX3090FE. (and reverb G2 version 1 with the new cable)

I also have the oculus software installed for my quest 2. another thing i should do is try it in my quest 2 i suppose.
I’ve been playing Half Life 2 VR and After The Fall again lately using my G2. I was getting disconnect audio problems as well as many steam VR crash problems so got a new V2 cable. That seemed to at least fix the audio icon disconnect type issue.
I was then finding After The Fall especially difficult to reload, aim, and have much fun at all. A jittery mess basically so I did a windows reinstall but didn’t help the jitter in games.
I re-installed oculus software and connected my Quest 2 up again via USB.
Everything is so much smoother in ATF and HL2, easier, and more enjoyable. I put this down to tracking being rubbish compared to Quest 2. The vibration is nicer with Q2 controllers too. No steam VR crashes either. I also found graphics quality to be great so wondering if meta have worked on compression improvements.
I’d suggest a re-format & windows reinstall as that is what may have fixed my steam vr crash problem

Last edited:
Soldato
I’ve been playing Half Life 2 VR and After The Fall again lately using my G2. I was getting disconnect audio problems as well as many steam VR crash problems so got a new V2 cable. That seemed to at least fix the audio icon disconnect type issue.
I was then finding After The Fall especially difficult to reload, aim, and have much fun at all. A jittery mess basically so I did a windows reinstall but didn’t help the jitter in games.
I re-installed oculus software and connected my Quest 2 up again via USB.
Everything is so much smoother in ATF and HL2, easier, and more enjoyable. I put this down to tracking being rubbish compared to Quest 2. The vibration is nicer with Q2 controllers too. No steam VR crashes either. I also found graphics quality to be great so wondering if meta have worked on compression improvements.
I’d suggest a re-format & windows reinstall as that is what may have fixed my steam vr crash problem
Hi so did the reinstall fix steamvr crashing on the G2 as well?

thanks

Associate
I did 2 things around the same time ….replace with V2 cable and reinstall.
You mention you already have new cable so have to assume it was the reinstall that for me that fixed the steam crashing but need to do more testing with G2 to be sure

Last edited:
Soldato
I still say if it were me I would lean to the Pico 4 but the G2 has a lower resolution mode for weaker GPUs. I expect a 2070 will be ok at that resolution and then push it for less demanding games.

. I must admit I never tried it on my 1080ti however (similar performance to your card) and only use it on a much higher tier card.

I expect it will be ok

edit that said which i5 do you have . there is a big difference in one from 2011 and 2020 for instance

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom