HP xw4600 Workstation

Associate
Hi, I'm trying to install some new ram in an HP xw4600 Workstation but seem to be having some trouble.

I ordered the DIMMs from Crucial but when I installed the new RAM I got POST bleeps and the machine refused to start. When I remove the old RAM and install the new RAM in its place it works fine so I know it's not the RAM. I have tried a variety of configurations of the DIMMs but with no joy.

Anyone got any ideas what's wrong?

Associate
OP
I don't believe so. There is a diagram on the chassis which shows which slots are paired and which are not and I have arranged so that each pair is in the respective paired slot

Associate
OP
I've been on hold for some time, I was hoping that someone had come across this sort of thing and new how to sort it before I started mail bombing their HQ out of frustration....

Soldato
I've been on hold for some time, I was hoping that someone had come across this sort of thing and new how to sort it before I started mail bombing their HQ out of frustration....

Their "self-repair" guide for your model states:

"If multiple DIMMs are installed in a workstation, they must be installed in pairs of the same size and type in each channel."

Sounds like you're out of luck, they'll probably say all modules must be the same part.

Associate
OP
I took that to mean is that the pair members must be identical not the pairs identical with eachother (that seemed rather tricky to explain).

I'll read further and see if it makes things clearer

Associate
OP
The plot thickens. I tried to add the RAM to another computer and received the same results. It seem that these computers just don't like extra RAM. I have never come across anything quite like this - any ideas?

The RAM works fine if not all in together so it both works and works with that computer and it's within the limits of what the motherboard will support

Back
Top Bottom