HSDPA and the Vario II, Activation needed?

Soldato
ive been reading over at modaco.com that in some cases you need to ring t mobile and ask them to activate it on your account?

Is there any one here that has had to ring them and ask?

Soldato
i had to ring them, was i was only getting 265kb/s on a speed test.

they said it was activated on my account.

i ended up downloading a tweaker app it had one of the options as 'turn on hsdpa' worked fine after that :)

just checked, the app is called HTweakC - www.fit4cat.de is the site on the splash screen

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Depends on if you have a 'new' updated Flext account, the Feb refresh now has HSDPA built in where previous you had to ring and ask (or you were one of the accounts where lord knows what went on and you got HSDPA :D )

Soldato
IainB said:
Depends on if you have a 'new' updated Flext account, the Feb refresh now has HSDPA built in where previous you had to ring and ask (or you were one of the accounts where lord knows what went on and you got HSDPA :D )

Yup, I siezed on the all of the chaos and confusion down at T-Mobile HQ. ;) :p :D

Soldato
OP
well ive had mine a year and had insurance and they replace it with a vario II so i probablyneed to ring them?

But how can a app turn it on??surely its there end?

Any chance you could email it as i dont understand german? as ill try it anyway

EDIT ive managed to get it and clicked enable?? dont notice anything yet. Should i get a H instead of 3g? i also clicked increase battery life....how does that work....any other tweaks worth doing there?

speed with gprs monitor still says 51kbit/sec which is gprs speed:(

Also is anyone still using the same t mobile dns? or are theyusinga different one if so what one?

Cheers guys

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well if i have 3g enabled i get slower than gprs speeds if anything?

I have to lock mine to gprs to get around 51kb, i spose ill have to do the labourious task of trying to talk to them

Soldato
You must be in a weak 3G signal area then. Either that or your local cell is heavily loaded.

Got stand outside a T-Mobile shop in the town centre and see what results you get then. If the speedtest returns a massive boost, its purely a signal strength issue.

Soldato
OP
nah i have a full 3 signal............my mda pro was the same, i just assumed it was a bug with there system....Maybe its my account then?

Ive tried numerous areas where id be in a different cell as well and when ever i change the phone back to 3g it connects to the net but i get no activity or internet functions, if i do they are less than 20kbit/sec. Where as when locked to gprs it always works fine but maxs at around 51kbit/sec although even thats a bit slow for gprs when i think that has a max of 115kbit/sec

I dont really wanna ring them until i know exactly what i need to tell them

Suspended
Well I emailled T-mobile to ask for HSDPA to be enabled, and got the following reply:

T mobile customer services said:
Thanks for your email asking me to enable the HSDPA data function to your account.

I tried to call you earlier to discuss this but sadly you weren't available.

I'm afraid that the HSDPA service is not available on your current Flext 20 web'n'walk price plan.

For a cost of £5 (including VAT) per month you can upgrade your web 'n'walk facility to the web'n'walk plus, doing this will automatically provision the HSDPA service.

If you would like to upgrade your price plan, please reply to this email and I'll be more than happy to arrange this for you.

Thanks for taking the time to contact me, and I hope this information is useful.

Please feel free to reply to this email if you have any further queries.

Kind regards

Is this correct or do I need to just ring them up and keep trying until I get someone who knows what theyre talking about?

Soldato
just tested my speed from bandwidthplace, was using a US speedtest site before....

with 1 dot on 3g, i got 773.1kbit per sec

Last edited:
Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
gotcha, so which do i select?
under the login button i chose "other" then selected wireless 3g from the drop down.

thats the same as what i did mate.

did you install the gprs monitoring app from one of the cd's, i think that shows the speed you get aswell

Soldato
The_Dark_Side said:
not yet!! lol.
my first pda phone and it's all a bit new to me.
thanks for replying btw.

no probs mate, its my 1st pda phone aswell, only had it a week - i'm still trying to figure it all out ;)

the other speed test i tried was www.dslreports.com/mspeed thats a US site i think though so i'm not sure if the speeds show up correctly

Back
Top Bottom