HTC HD - you got one? what you think??

Soldato
Again, I dock it at work all day, so battery life is not so much of a problem for me.
I'm just getting the hump with mobiles.co.uk and just want the damn phone!

Soldato
its still a nice phone. i want it for phone, email and some internet which it does perfectly. it also plays avis without having to be converted which look very nice on the screen. the only thing that im not so happy about is the battery but im hoping that can be fixed with updates.

I guess you haven't read all the thread about the crap video play back unless you convert the file first, have a look over on the xda-developers forums under the blackstone section.

Soldato
So, its got crap battery, crap camera and you cant watch movies on it without converting them???

Hmmm.....

any good points to this phone then?

Battery is perfectly normal for a device of this type - camera is again normal for this type of device (perfectly suitable imo, if you want a camera, buy a ******* camera!). It can play most videos, those it can't play will be playable with the next release of coreplayer.

Finished trolling yet?

Associate
Check the Pc Pro review - it's just superseded the Nokia E71 for 'Smartphone' in their A-list

I find it incredibly surprising that they rate the Touch Pro below the E71 but the HD above. Given the Pro has the keyboard and only slightly worse screen I'd say the two are basically the same ( KB + 640x480 or no KB + 800x480) the choice comes down the whether you want a KB or not. Other than that they're functionally the same so bit bizarre.

Associate
Battery is perfectly normal for a device of this type - camera is again normal for this type of device (perfectly suitable imo, if you want a camera, buy a ******* camera!). It can play most videos, those it can't play will be playable with the next release of coreplayer.

Finished trolling yet?

Well said - and let's be honest, who needs more than 24 hours battery life ( when using the e:mail options - 72 hours approx if you have e:mail turned off and aren't using wi-fi or bluetooth).. get home plug it in your PC to synch it.. oh hang on it's charging.. get in the car, plug it into the hands free and fire up the sat nav.. hang on it's charging.. Get to work.. oh guess what plug it in the PC at work ( standard USB lead remember ).. it's charging again.

In short, if you have a PDA phone chances are you'll be a PC user.. if your a PC user you have zero problem. Just carry a USB lead with you and it's dead easy to recharge. (I've even recharged my phone off my lap top on occasion - shortens the lap tops battery of course but kept me going long enough to get to a power socket ).

Man of Honour
Well said - and let's be honest, who needs more than 24 hours battery life ( when using the e:mail options - 72 hours approx if you have e:mail turned off and aren't using wi-fi or bluetooth).. get home plug it in your PC to synch it.. oh hang on it's charging.. get in the car, plug it into the hands free and fire up the sat nav.. hang on it's charging.. Get to work.. oh guess what plug it in the PC at work ( standard USB lead remember ).. it's charging again.

In short, if you have a PDA phone chances are you'll be a PC user.. if your a PC user you have zero problem. Just carry a USB lead with you and it's dead easy to recharge. (I've even recharged my phone off my lap top on occasion - shortens the lap tops battery of course but kept me going long enough to get to a power socket ).

Because god forbid you might have to work out of the office occasionally and don't fancy stuffing a USB lead in your pocket every time you go beyond the front door?

Man of Honour
For work I will pretty much ALWAYS have my laptop bag and laptop with me, so I have a pockets for such things :)

And that's fair, a lot of people who buy this phone will. Personally I'd be concerned that if I popped out to a datacentre for the day, normally I wouldn't take anything with me save my wallet and blackberry. Now if I spend an hour on the phone to a supplier or something, I'm suddenly quite short of battery life. I don't really want to drag round a charger for that.

It's not a criticism of this phone, more smart phones in general but it's a real pain manufacturers seem to think such appalling battery life is good enough. One reason I quite like my blackberry as a work phone, even with heavy use it lasts two days at least.

Soldato
I am a gadget nerd. I always have a laptop, charger and mini-usb cable on me. Power is not an issue.
In the car I have a laptop charger. If battery life suddenly becomes an issue, I will buy a second battery. Sorted.

Soldato
And that's fair, a lot of people who buy this phone will. Personally I'd be concerned that if I popped out to a datacentre for the day, normally I wouldn't take anything with me save my wallet and blackberry. Now if I spend an hour on the phone to a supplier or something, I'm suddenly quite short of battery life. I don't really want to drag round a charger for that.

It's not a criticism of this phone, more smart phones in general but it's a real pain manufacturers seem to think such appalling battery life is good enough. One reason I quite like my blackberry as a work phone, even with heavy use it lasts two days at least.

Assuming you turn off wifi, bluetooth and turn the screen brightness down, the battery life on these phones is more than acceptable. I would imagine that in a datacentre you'll not be spending huge amounts of time using the above functions so you'd get a decent amount of battery life.

Man of Honour
Assuming you turn off wifi, bluetooth and turn the screen brightness down, the battery life on these phones is more than acceptable. I would imagine that in a datacentre you'll not be spending huge amounts of time using the above functions so you'd get a decent amount of battery life.

Not really something I want to get into, I'm not into enabling features and disabling them to save power, I want a phone which works with as little hassle as possible. I don't think it's acceptable to say 'if you turn half the features off the battery life is fine' - cool then, I'll buy a phone without the damn features to start with for half the price...

I fully accept most people who buy this kind of phone are (at least slightly) gadget freaks. Nothing wrong with that but I'm really not, I'd prefer to take the minimum possible to do the job.

Soldato
Not really something I want to get into, I'm not into enabling features and disabling them to save power, I want a phone which works with as little hassle as possible. I don't think it's acceptable to say 'if you turn half the features off the battery life is fine' - cool then, I'll buy a phone without the damn features to start with for half the price...

I fully accept most people who buy this kind of phone are (at least slightly) gadget freaks. Nothing wrong with that but I'm really not, I'd prefer to take the minimum possible to do the job.

The battery life is fine under normal use - any mobile device with as many features as the HD is going to suffer in terms of battery. You can't compare it to anything other than the Blackberry Storm either, as the screen is FAR bigger on the HD than any other Blackberry.

If I'm working in a datacenter and am on the phone a lot, I either use a landline, or charge my phone after, when it needs charged. Turning off WiFi isn't a nuisance either, it takes 2 seconds.

You seem to be looking for things to dislike about this phone.

Soldato
jamief let the people who want to dislike/hate the phone dislike/hate the phone, means there's more for the people that like/want the phone(like me, tho still tempted by the g1) :)

Soldato
jamief let the people who want to dislike/hate the phone dislike/hate the phone, means there's more for the people that like/want the phone(like me, tho still tempted by the g1) :)

You're quite right mate :). Nothing wrong with criticism, it's just that some people seem to like finding things to be annoyed about!

Back
Top Bottom