HTC touch diamond

Soldato
guys just wanted to ask a few question about if you don’t mind answering me i would appreciate it.

Basically i am stuck between buying iphone orTouch diamond.

Now the most important thing for me is being able to veiw pdf files and internet. I have seen the iphone and PDF viewing on it is very nice but i have heard that you cant view very large PDF files on it, don’t know how true though.

so was wondering how is viewing pdf files on the touch diamond device? i need to view pdf files about 50mb. Is it smooth scrolling like the iphone?

Does the small size of the screen hinder reading pdf files comfortably?

Is the screen vivid and colours bright enough?

also if you know any place with good tarrifs for about £30 please do let me know.

Thanks guys.:)

Associate
Now the most important thing for me is being able to veiw pdf files and internet. I have seen the iphone and PDF viewing on it is very nice but i have heard that you cant view very large PDF files on it, don’t know how true though.

Give me a link to one of the PDFs you want to view, and I'll give it a go and let you know how good/bad it is. Mail in trust if you don't want to post a link.

Associate
I got an HTC Touch Diamond shipped with the latest official BIOS. I must say I'm very impressed, it's a fantastic gadget! First smart phone for me. I'm OK with the shortish battery life (every other day now) for the sake of a small handsets. Very pleased :)

Soldato
Got mine on the day they were released, it was 'almost' a brick. Hardly anything worked so i sent it back and got another the next day which was fine.
I'm on vodafone and the sat is pretty good tbh, free 18month subscription to it.
GPS is quite odd though, it 'pinpoints' your position to within 1800m :eek:, not terribly accurate seeing as right now my gps thinks i'm in the middle lane of the M1 :( ouch!

Its a great pda, its a really crappy phone.
For instance, listening to voicemail, then want to press '3' to delete the message, but the light has gone out, so i press the button on the top and it literally takes anything up to 10secs to refresh the screen, THEN i have to press the keypad symbol then i can press '3'.
Also when i end a call, i can still hear the other person connected about 3 secs after pressing the 'end call' button. Its sooooooooo slow.
My anus of a friend installed ifonz, which sucks a fat one, and i can't uninstall it now either.
I got HHC on it, but after going through the setup wizard nothing happens. I'm still only every presented with Touchflow or the crappy uninstallable ifonz (that guy should be shot btw)
Like i said, good pda, bad phone!

Associate
k.jacko, do you have the latest ROM? I don't suffer any delay when pressing the top button of the phone to reactivate the screen, a fraction of a second at the most. The end call button takes approx one second to end the call. The phone function is much better than my previous phone (a Razor, hardly surprising) and voices are much clearer. The only real niggle I have is scrolling through the contacts is a bit of a pain sometimes, oh and Opera can be a bit slow but I understand Opera mini is quicker.

Associate
I found the GPS spot on. If i use "My Location" in google maps it initially starts off saying "within approx xxx" but if you select "Use GPS" it only takes a few seconds and it is bang on.

Installed Diamond Tweaker as well and changed the illuminaiton delays and end call delays etc.

Associate
I found the GPS spot on.

I just got mine unboxed, not put the sim in yet, and the GPS in googlemaps is incredibly accurate for me. It found 8 sats in no time :D

First impressions are good! Im gonna install the update now, though i was expecting it to be more sluggish out of the box! Really impressed with it all up to now :D

Associate
re: within 1800m

This I believe is the first guestimate of your location via your cell. It does this first before it can get a lock on the satellites. Once their data is available it should be much more accurate.

Oh, don't forget to run QuickGPS to download the latest satellite data.

Associate
Does anyone know or has anyone come accross a way of getting your own sounds/mp3's to use as a new message tones and such? It lets you pick one for the Incoming Calls but nothing else... which is annoying !

Soldato
k.jacko, do you have the latest ROM? I don't suffer any delay when pressing the top button of the phone to reactivate the screen, a fraction of a second at the most. The end call button takes approx one second to end the call. The phone function is much better than my previous phone (a Razor, hardly surprising) and voices are much clearer. The only real niggle I have is scrolling through the contacts is a bit of a pain sometimes, oh and Opera can be a bit slow but I understand Opera mini is quicker.

How do i find what rom version i have? And if it needs updating whats the best method of doing so?

Associate
Hi, interested in either the diamond or the touch pro, just not sure which to get. I dont think i'm too worried about the memory, 4gb should be fine.

Will mainly be using the phone for web surfing on the move.

Be great if anyone can give me any advise, cheers

Caporegime
Hi, interested in either the diamond or the touch pro, just not sure which to get. I dont think i'm too worried about the memory, 4gb should be fine.

Will mainly be using the phone for web surfing on the move.

Be great if anyone can give me any advise, cheers

Its ok for web browsing obviously compared to the iphone, its not as good...i had the new iphone but got rid of it because it just wasnt good at keeping the 3g signal etc.

I use my Diamond for web browsing and it does me fine...i can browse the forums during the day whilst at work etc.

Caporegime
How do i find what rom version i have? And if it needs updating whats the best method of doing so?

Go to programs, click on settings then click on system tab and click on device information and it will give you the info you need ie rom version etc.

If you want to update to the official roms then you need to go over to HTC website and download them from there. If you want custom based roms then your best place is www.xda-developers.com and go into Diamond rom development. You probably will need to update your spl which will allow you to flash to any non official roms. The instructions and guides are all in that section of xda.

Soldato
well...what a load of ar$e!
Went onto htc.com got to the downloads for the touch diamond, clicked on rom upgrade, entered my serial number..........and it said "Sorry, this software download is not suitable for your device."
What's that carp all about?!

Appreciate the advice though spawn, thanks mate :)

Soldato
I got one of these this week, first Windows phone since a coupe of early Orange SPVs some 5 years ago. It'll take a bit of getting used to after my Treos and Nokias but so far so good. After upgrading the ROM, making a few tweaks it seems to be working well.

Can anyone recommend any must have software?

Back
Top Bottom