HTC Vive slashes price permanently to $599

Soldato
I have both and at the moment I prefer the rift mainly because its more comfortable and the sde is much less with rift, touch controllers are nicer to use except when you are using them as a gun as the angle you hold then at it wrong.

Associate
Once you factor in the third camera, a USB card which may or may not work, hordes of extensions, and general time wastage sorting out the tracking....yeah, I'd still go with the Vive.

Associate
I don't mind objective criticism about any product, but sweeping statements or blatant non-truths I find irritating.

I have tracking configured fine using the 2 cameras supplied. I haven't needed a USB card, a USB card what? I don't use any extensions (singular or hordular) in my ~3m x ~3m space and spent about 5 minutes configuring my tracking, 50% of which was marking the perimeter of my room with the Touch controller.

Am I doing something wrong/right? :confused: Either way, I'm still tempted to get a Vive even after my Rift purchase and have two setups!

Soldato
SDE on Vive made me sell in the end. Tracking is superb much better then I could have hoped.

Hopefully the Valve "Knuckles" controllers will be available to buy soon as with a price drop I may dip back in again as I still have the room space I cleared out.

Associate
I don't mind objective criticism about any product, but sweeping statements or blatant non-truths I find irritating.
Tell me about it. I've come across some seriously odd comments when playing Rec Room, but the one that made me facepalm (ok, not literally as I had my headset on), was talking to one guy who had a Vive who in all seriousness, when I said I was playing with a Rift, asked me how I could play without turning round. He'd genuinely been convinced by other Vive users to go with a Vive because "you can't turn your head round with a Rift".

I've also had a couple of other people genuinely surprised when I demonstrated that I could actually walk around my play area as well with no problems. By all means go with which solution suits you the best, but FFS, don't spread bull dung about other systems.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, as the Rift costs less, has better controllers, has better lenses, weighs less and isn't as hot. Little reason really.
You own both then? I do.
better controllers? depends on the game.
Vive is lighter by the way by 2g.
Might not be as hot as it has a massive gap in at the nose to let in tonnes of light :p

Gonna take your ball in now?

Permabanned
You own both then? I do.
better controllers? depends on the game.
Vive is lighter by the way by 2g.
Might not be as hot as it has a massive gap in at the nose to let in tonnes of light :p

Gonna take your ball in now?

Of course I don't own both, I only have one head which I used to buy the better one. I did try both side by side for about 4 hours before hand.

The Vive definitely felt heavier in use which is probably why they are copying the Rift's headstrap which incidentally adds another $100 to the cost of the Vive. The 'nose gap' on the Rift did seem like a design flaw at first until you realise it disappears from vision while playing. As you agree it helps keep your face cooler while stopping glasses steaming up and allowing you to see to type, use phones, eat, etc. Vive n Chill sums up the Vive experience :D - https://www.roadtovr.com/vive-n-chill-cooling-solution-htc-vive-users-sweaty-vr-faces/.

It's not that I didn't like the Vive's controllers. It's just that the Touch are so much more comfortable, natural to use hence better. I don't see why one controller would be better than the other for certain games though.

The Vive was the better experience for room scale, the Rift for seated. Now that the Rift has Touch and supports up to 6 sensors (though 2-3 covers most rooms) it is simply the better option and oddly still the least expensive.

I also prefer PCs to consoles, no rattles being thrown out of prams :p

Soldato
I have both and I *think* I prefer the Vive but it's pretty close. I actually find the Vive more comfortable which may be my head shape or the fact I have the vrcover memory foam pads. As for the controllers the Touch definitely have more functionality but I don't find them any more comfortable per se. Tracking wise I think I'll need a 3rd sensor for it to be as good as the Vive. I personally had no USB issues on both my main machine nor on the ancient 1366 USB2 only machine.

For me the Oculus price difference is the clear winner - HTC had to do something about that.

Back
Top Bottom