HTPC Build

Associate
Looking for some members thoughts on the below. I'll be upgrading my main rig when Zen2 comes out and have decided to re-use some of the parts in existing build to make a gaming HTPC. I would be aiming for a 1080p build which can play some casual games on my 4k TV in the living room, saving AAA titles for my Gaming rig. Budget is in the £200-£300 region for the parts required.

I will re-use my i7 4770k (OC'd to 4.4) and 16 Gb DDR3 memory.

Parts I would like your advice on:

HTPC Case - would prefer a case that is more rectangular than square. Think VCR size.
Motherboard (Socket 1150) - most likely an micro ATX or mini ITX to fit in the case. Quick look online suggests this may be quite hard to come by. If I can re-use my existing ATX motherboard that would be a great saving!
CPU Cooler - most likely require a low profile one and preferably on the quieter side.
GPU - a good 1080p card. Budget is probably around £100 (would use second hand if needed).
PSU - I'm unsure what sort of wattage would be required and again given the use-case aiming for quieter.
Storage - I'll get a cheap 250gig SSD (operating system and applications) and 1TB HDD.

Any help and suggestions from those who have done similar would be great.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom