HTPC sound question...

Associate
I'm currently building (tomorrow) a HTPC to replace my Dreambox 8000HD.

It's based around some bits I had laying around and some new stuff..

Existing bits :-
E8500 Wolfdale
8Gb DDR2 RAM
LG CH10LS20 Bluray Reader
1Tb Samsung F1 HDD
Asus ATI HD 5570
Eyetv Sat USB DVB-S2

New bits :-

Zalman HD503 Case
MSI GTX460 Cyclone
Corsair 550W PSU
Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G motherboard
Akasa AK-960E Intel LGA 775 fan
Asus Xonar DS sound card
2 x Skystar HD2 DVB-S2 PCI cards

Now my question is...

If I fit the Xonar card, will it send the sound via HDMI automatically?

It's been a while since I was into PC's (I switched to a 27" iMac last year, and now use that as my main system)

Thanks for the advice!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The HD5570 has to be one of the noisiest cards I have heard.. Just not feasible for a HTPC...

All the kit above is already purchased - the HD5570 is being returned as not fit for purpose.

I intend to buy an Onkyo or Pioneer amp in the next 12 months, so wanted a decent sound card. (I used to have a Yamaha DSP-A1 many moons ago until the wife said it and the speakers had to go!)

New wife now, with new ideas :)

Just need clarification that it will work ok before I open the box!

Associate
OP
the xonar doesnt have a hdmi output.

I don't understand that?

Why would the sound card need a HDMI output?

I currently have the HD5570 in a HP dc7900 SFF PC. The onboard sound is sent through the HDMI of the HD5570.

So my question is, if I add a Xonar and disable onboard sound, will the Xonar be transmitted over the HDMI of the MSI GTX460?

Associate
OP
I found this, which would indicate that it will work, but need confirmation! (Check last sentence)

Superior Connectivity and Conveniences
The Xonar DS offers a host of connectivity options and conveniences. It boasts an Intel HDA compatible jack-sensing front panel header which automatically switches signals from the back panel to the front whenever headphones are plugged into the front panel output. Providing the best digital output connectivity among low-profile cards, the Xonar DS' S/PDIF output combines with the less utilized rear surround analog output jack, and the optical digital output adaptor is bundled in package. This means that users no longer need to purchase extra digital I/O modules, unlike certain competitors' products. The Xonar DS has another onboard internal S/PDIF header, offering excellent digital audio to HDMI-ready graphics cards.

Soldato
I don't understand that?

Why would the sound card need a HDMI output?

I currently have the HD5570 in a HP dc7900 SFF PC. The onboard sound is sent through the HDMI of the HD5570.

So my question is, if I add a Xonar and disable onboard sound, will the Xonar be transmitted over the HDMI of the MSI GTX460?

sorry, it was the way the op was worded.

erm yes, i believe you can do that by pluging in the spdid from the xonar to the gtx460. im not quite up to speed with nvidia cards. You will of course be limited to 5.1 dd/dts by doing this.

Personally i believe you would have been better off choosing a 5570 with a different heatsink - they arent all the same. or better still something more suited to htpc use (assuming gaming isnt a concern) like a 5450 http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-116-HT&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=168. totally silent and HD audio onboard.

either way i think you just must have chosen a bad card; my reference design 5850 is as quiet as the xfx 5450 i put in my dads pc - both of them are silent (unless im gaming).

just one note:

It isnt - the ati's have their own onboard sound chips :)

Last edited:
Associate
Umm,

I guess you mean to run HDMI for the graphics and use the sound card for music via spdif or something? Or use the Asus for all sound? What exact sound card have you bought?

Sorry but your not being too clear, The likes of the 5450 and up to the 5750 are available passive and do True HD audio etc over HDMI, it's HD digital and pretty much makes the likes of a seperate sound card uneccessary in most cases. I don't use my M-Audio on this system now, nor the onboard digital out, as the HDMI audio from the graphics card is capable enough. My 5750 is comletely silent and does HD Audio over HDMI, it goes up to 24/192 from 2 channels to 7.1?

I use an HD5750 with HDMI out to my 50" tv, which is then connected to the digital input of my amp, good for music and good for HD content from Blu-Ray no switching required. I believe the 5450 is the same audio output?

If you buy a new amp, with audio available over HDMI, you won't need a sound card? Even with a Dac, you can run HDMI to a TV and digital out via spdif from TV to Dac, all you do is choose the default input for the dac and it's capabilities and chsoen sofware, such as 16/44 if you are playing ripped CD, 16/48 if playing back DVD quality, 24/192 for flac and such or Blu-Ray.

You configure your default audio output in sound options, where you can disable in my instance M-Audio sound card, ATI HDMI, speakers (onboard analogue), headphones, back panel spdif.

Edit, why have you bought a £200 GPU if it is only an HTPC?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I only just saw this response!

Thanks for replying - I bought the GPU (was £138) because I saw it recommended elsewhere for a HTPC and it was supposedly quiet (and it is).

The audio works over HDMI - my question was, when I eventually get an amp will the current sound be up to the same standard as the Xonar DS?

I'm confused as to how the sound works - I have disabled the onboard sound in the bios, but I still get sound over the HDMI (and I haven't even taken the Xonar out of the box yet)

It's been a while since I was really into PC's and things have changed considerably in that time!

Cheers..

Associate
Newer gpus can send video AND audio down the HDMI cable. This is a digital signal and requires something such as a TV or Receiver to decode the signal. I believe it can be sent in a number of formats depending on the source and your hardware.

Some TV's will accept the digital audio video and output the audio on a separate HDMI cable to be sent to a dedicated receiver.

edit: You could have course achieve the same result by sending the digital audio over spdif or optical to a receiver.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies.. However I am still baffled - how does the sound get to the HDMI socket on the GPU? There is no spdif header on my GTX460, so confused how the sound gets to the TV!

And why does it still get sound if the onboard sound is disabled?

All I ultimately want to do, is fit the Xonar, and have the option of sound over HDMI (for normal tv watching) and feed the spdif on the sound card to my Sony BDV-E370 Bluray surround system for watching movies. (This has no HDMI in)

Ta!

Associate
OP
Dreambox is going cos it is not particularly wife friendly!

I fitted the Xonar - and ran the optical cable to my Sony - but I get no sound... Most odd.. Taking the optical from the Dreambox to the Sony works fine..

Bah...

Soldato
Thanks for the replies.. However I am still baffled - how does the sound get to the HDMI socket on the GPU? There is no spdif header on my GTX460, so confused how the sound gets to the TV!

And why does it still get sound if the onboard sound is disabled?

They have their own onboard sound chips like i mentioned previously:)

All I ultimately want to do, is fit the Xonar, and have the option of sound over HDMI (for normal tv watching) and feed the spdif on the sound card to my Sony BDV-E370 Bluray surround system for watching movies. (This has no HDMI in)

Ta!

the sound quality will be indentical, you'll hear no differences :)

Associate
OP
Is this just purely for music/video? If so it is WAY over specced!

It is - but I would rather be over specced than under!

I just need to get this Sony all in one to play the sound from the optical - it's baffling me.. same cable plugged into the Dreambox works perfectly...

When I look at the sound preferences, and set optical to be the default, then the bars move up and down, so it is obviously getting sound to it...

Back
Top Bottom