HTPC With Remote/WOL

Associate
Hi everyone been looking at making a htpc with a remote control. Been having a few problems with it due to want a remote control and wol (wake on lan) as well. Don't want something to big or expensive.

The computer specs i am thinking are has follows:

Amd A10 Black or normal (don't need separate GPU)
8GB Memory
AverHD H727 Tv card
450 or 500w PSU
3d Blu-ray player

anyone any ideas and any ideas on a motherboard that supports WOL

Neil

Associate
Hi everyone been looking at making a htpc with a remote control. Been having a few problems with it due to want a remote control and wol (wake on lan) as well. Don't want something to big or expensive.

The computer specs i am thinking are has follows:

Amd A10 Black or normal (don't need separate GPU)
8GB Memory
AverHD H727 Tv card
450 or 500w PSU
3d Blu-ray player

anyone any ideas and any ideas on a motherboard that supports WOL

Neil

Hi ,

I think a lot of MoBo's include Wake-On-Line. at least I think the Gigabyte GA-A75N-USB3 does although i never use it.

The PSU you aim at seems to be on the very high side, see http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2012/10/03/amd-a10-review/8. If your system is only gonna be the HTPC in the livingroom ( and you want it silent), I would recommend going with a Pico-PSU low power supply (150W max), which should be enough for your A10-system running XBMC and displaying your movies ( I would guess).

Alex.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

... and probably go for a 350w psu (can't find any smaller and want a 80+ one and its going to be for future purposes).

Ok, if you need more power then a pico-psu is not enough; However, I think they are available up to 150 Watt and I would guess that is a lot of power for a HTPC (since you might want it silent anyway, and putting 300 Watt in such a small box might give cooling problems. Also, be aware that the 80+ efficiency is only valid at certain points of the load, i.e. at 50% or something like that).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Silent has possible yes and the case isn't that small. Its 17cm high and 43cm long. Looking into a 150/160 picopsu if get smaller case has will have heating issues there. Many thanks for the advice Alex

Soldato
These two posts of mine in an SFF thread might be of use.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21337770&postcount=34

and slightly further down:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=21341340&postcount=38

Works a treat for me. For WOL, I have it enabled on the mobo and can wake the machine to the login screen using Remote Launcher on my phone. I then find that I can browse to my NAS through Kalemsoft Media Streamer and it will then stream movies to my Touchpad happily without having to actually login. I have to have logged in at least once and then let themachine go to sleep for it to have loaded the service in the background but as long as I have done that, it works perfectly.

For watching on the TV, I use XBMC and either use my phone to control XBMC directly or I use my Harmony 900 with the IR.

Back
Top Bottom