Huawei mate 10

Soldato
What exactly do you dislike about audio quality on the pro? Tried using my AKG k550 mk2's and whilst it's not the pinnacle of audio perfection, it's pretty decent.

If that's you're thing have a look at the LG v30, supposed to be cracking.

EDIT: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10_pro-review-1679p6.php

I'm no audiophile and a lot of those numbers mean nothing to me but isn't the U11+ similar to the pro in the audio department according to that link?

Associate
What exactly do you dislike about audio quality on the pro? Tried using my AKG k550 mk2's and whilst it's not the pinnacle of audio perfection, it's pretty decent.

If that's you're thing have a look at the LG v30, supposed to be cracking.

EDIT: https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10_pro-review-1679p6.php

I'm no audiophile and a lot of those numbers mean nothing to me but isn't the U11+ similar to the pro in the audio department according to that link?

I'll explain

I've listened to a lot of different phones recently (U11, U11+, S8, Note 8, Mate 10 Pro, V30) so it's really obvious when one stands out and the Mate 10 Pro stood out as the worst. Volume was "ok" as was treble but bass was definitely more muddy and wasn't as powerful and it was definitely the quietest.

Secondly, I have multiple headphone dongles to hand. U11, U11+, Razerphone, Google's (Pixel 2/XL) and the Mate 10 Pros. The razerphone dongle is very loud and really clean on every device listed except for the Mate 10 Pro, where volume is capped at around 60%, with the same thing happening with every other dongle except Huawei's dongle (bearing in mind all of these other dongles are better than the Mate 10 Pros).

Lastly, GSMArena. I'm not sure what it is but their audio testing isn't the best. I much prefer Juan from PocketNows audio tests, as they seem to be more in line with what each person hears. GSMArena actually claimed that the OP3T had amazing audio (It had decent audio but any sort of EQ boost caused everything to distort).

Via Bluetooth none of this is an issue, but when using my RHA MA750s the Mate 10 Pro just doesn't produce that low end rumble all the others do, and it doesn't have the volume to match either. Main reason I blame the Mate 10 is because all of these other Dongles sound similar on all the phones I have but they sound gimped on the Mate 10 Pro. So yeah, it's audio isn't the worst in the world, but it's below a lot of phones that have come out this year.

Soldato
@LEK-89 Liam thanks for your very detailed review and Happy New Year to you too! No worries re the auto screen dimming it's just one of those unwanted EMUI features! It's really exciting that a stock Android ROM is being developed too. Exciting times ahead and if Huawei carry on going in the direction they have been they will no doubt reach the goal that they are aiming for the top spots that Samsung and Apple currently occupy.

I removed the screen protector too but only out of necessity because it too arrived with dust trapped underneath and my OCD kicked in and I couldn't take it anymore :eek:
Have you managed to source a screen protector for your Mate 10 Pro yet?

EMUI does take some getting used to but even though it has quite a lot of features built in it doesn't slow down at all (I've had quite a few Huawei / Honor devices over the past couple of years - my personal experience of using them) - aside from stock Android and Oxygen OS it's my next favourite Android skin.

I'm so pleased that you're enjoying your phone and it's meeting your expectations. Glad that it came with a UK plug out of the box too. Do you mind me asking what eBay seller you got it from just for future reference? You can DM me if you want with the seller if you don't want? or say it here it's up to you.

Also glad that you've found Firmware Finder it's such a useful app. I haven't updated to the latest firmware though...

Associate
@LEK-89 Liam thanks for your very detailed review and Happy New Year to you too! No worries re the auto screen dimming it's just one of those unwanted EMUI features! It's really exciting that a stock Android ROM is being developed too. Exciting times ahead and if Huawei carry on going in the direction they have been they will no doubt reach the goal that they are aiming for the top spots that Samsung and Apple currently occupy.

I removed the screen protector too but only out of necessity because it too arrived with dust trapped underneath and my OCD kicked in and I couldn't take it anymore :eek:
Have you managed to source a screen protector for your Mate 10 Pro yet?

EMUI does take some getting used to but even though it has quite a lot of features built in it doesn't slow down at all (I've had quite a few Huawei / Honor devices over the past couple of years - my personal experience of using them) - aside from stock Android and Oxygen OS it's my next favourite Android skin.

I'm so pleased that you're enjoying your phone and it's meeting your expectations. Glad that it came with a UK plug out of the box too. Do you mind me asking what eBay seller you got it from just for future reference? You can DM me if you want with the seller if you don't want? or say it here it's up to you.

Also glad that you've found Firmware Finder it's such a useful app. I haven't updated to the latest firmware though...

No problem at all mate, my pleasure :)

Yeah I like to think that 2018 will now start to be the real turning point for Huawei, and especially with the release of the Mate 10 Pro over here - from what I've read recently they are starting to take off over in the US now, and more so in February with the recent announcement that they are also going to release the standard Mate 10 which is a rarity on it's own.

This year looks exciting with further development on the stock Android 8.0 Oreo ROM, I really hope the full stable release arrives within the next few weeks but we will see :) Apparently you can download what can be classed as an alpha beta version already and is supposed to be stable, but it's far from refined and things like the brightness cannot be changed so it stays on max brightness all the time etc.

Yeah it's a shame regarding the factory screen protector - though in a way a bit of a blessing as I uncovered it's low quality in no time with how easy it scratches / marks etc. Also since removing it and with using it more without a replacement the last few days, it's really made me realise how smooth and near smear free the screen really feels like to use overall. I've noticed over the past couple of years with using screen protectors on previous ones (plastic type) how uncomfortable tasks such as scrolling can really be and how much the protectors accumulate marks / finger marks in no time.

I am on the lookout for a replacement screen protector though, and preferably a glass one as they feel the best overall in my opinion - however not many are on offer out there at the moment worth taking a gamble on, plus I'm waiting on one to come out of the woodwork that has thriving reviews, and actually covers the entire screen the best it can!

Thanks again mate :) And yeah sure - the seller on eBay I got mine from is iconicglobal-uk. They do list their phones location as Ireland, however there was nothing like import duties to pay when having the phone delivered - and it arrived with 4 working days via DPD too and seemed to originate from a Manchester drop off point going by the initial tracking. Plus I only opted to go with them as they were just about the only supplier who have 100% feedback from other people who have purchased a variety of phones.

Liam.

Associate
Mine was ordered from ionorchard. 99% feedback and 7578 ratings so they seemed a safe bet.

Shipping from Irlam, Manchester, so should be with me tomorrow or Wednesday I think. I think they're a Chinese company but have stock over here so there's no import tax for buyers.

Been watching a lot of reviews on YouTube, very much looking forward to it.

Associate
Mine was ordered from ionorchard. 99% feedback and 7578 ratings so they seemed a safe bet.

Shipping from Irlam, Manchester, so should be with me tomorrow or Wednesday I think. I think they're a Chinese company but have stock over here so there's no import tax for buyers.

Been watching a lot of reviews on YouTube, very much looking forward to it.

Fingers crossed for you mate.

Yeah that's kind of what I suspected with mine as well. Is the one you're getting the international version as well I take it?

Liam.

Associate
Nice :)

Once it arrives, check which firmware it's running on out of the box and update it to .128 if possible.

Liam.

Will do. I think it's the international firmware but not sure if it's better to stay on that or switch to European firmware. Not sure which would get updates quicker or if there's any other benefits to European firmware.

Associate
Will do. I think it's the international firmware but not sure if it's better to stay on that or switch to European firmware. Not sure which would get updates quicker or if there's any other benefits to European firmware.

I'm still on the International firmware as it stands, C636 configuration to be precise which is what my phone shipped with. The European versions carry version number C432 if memory serves right. From reading the other day, the international versions get the firmware updates before all the other versions so it's best to stay on it in my opinion.

Liam.

Soldato
I'll explain

I've listened to a lot of different phones recently (U11, U11+, S8, Note 8, Mate 10 Pro, V30) so it's really obvious when one stands out and the Mate 10 Pro stood out as the worst. Volume was "ok" as was treble but bass was definitely more muddy and wasn't as powerful and it was definitely the quietest.

Secondly, I have multiple headphone dongles to hand. U11, U11+, Razerphone, Google's (Pixel 2/XL) and the Mate 10 Pros. The razerphone dongle is very loud and really clean on every device listed except for the Mate 10 Pro, where volume is capped at around 60%, with the same thing happening with every other dongle except Huawei's dongle (bearing in mind all of these other dongles are better than the Mate 10 Pros).

Lastly, GSMArena. I'm not sure what it is but their audio testing isn't the best. I much prefer Juan from PocketNows audio tests, as they seem to be more in line with what each person hears. GSMArena actually claimed that the OP3T had amazing audio (It had decent audio but any sort of EQ boost caused everything to distort).

Via Bluetooth none of this is an issue, but when using my RHA MA750s the Mate 10 Pro just doesn't produce that low end rumble all the others do, and it doesn't have the volume to match either. Main reason I blame the Mate 10 is because all of these other Dongles sound similar on all the phones I have but they sound gimped on the Mate 10 Pro. So yeah, it's audio isn't the worst in the world, but it's below a lot of phones that have come out this year.

Thanks for explaining. This is now evident as I've plugged my phone in via 3.5mm adapter into my edifier active speaker setup at work and it's really quiet ☹️.

If I buy a Bluetooth receiver for my speakers do you think it'll be louder? I work in a CNC shop so volume is important! Failing that I'll have to pick up an amplifier or something.

Any recommendations?

Associate
Thanks for explaining. This is now evident as I've plugged my phone in via 3.5mm adapter into my edifier active speaker setup at work and it's really quiet ☹️.

If I buy a Bluetooth receiver for my speakers do you think it'll be louder? I work in a CNC shop so volume is important! Failing that I'll have to pick up an amplifier or something.

Any recommendations?

Hmmmm most really cheap bluetooth receivers (like those on ebay for a fiver) I've seen people use, they have always complained about volume

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075J9VBS5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Seems to be really common amongst users on Reddit and Head Fi. I can't say how loud it will be but everyone just says it works well. Best bet is to try it out and if it doesn't do the job return it. You could also use a Fiio K1 which outputs around 1 volt so slightly louder than most iPhones these days. You'd need to buy some extra cables from what I recall though and there's no telling as to whether or not Huawei have gimped the output on external devices. I'd try the bluetooth option first.

It's a shame they don't follow the same spec as other devices. The razerphone adaptor is more than capable of outputting a loud sound.

Associate
I'm still on the International firmware as it stands, C636 configuration to be precise which is what my phone shipped with. The European versions carry version number C432 if memory serves right. From reading the other day, the international versions get the firmware updates before all the other versions so it's best to stay on it in my opinion.

Liam.

Which firmware are you on now? Just seen Funky Huawei post that 128 will be available soon for C432, does the international version already have 128?

Soldato
Hmmmm most really cheap bluetooth receivers (like those on ebay for a fiver) I've seen people use, they have always complained about volume

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075J9VBS5/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1

Seems to be really common amongst users on Reddit and Head Fi. I can't say how loud it will be but everyone just says it works well. Best bet is to try it out and if it doesn't do the job return it. You could also use a Fiio K1 which outputs around 1 volt so slightly louder than most iPhones these days. You'd need to buy some extra cables from what I recall though and there's no telling as to whether or not Huawei have gimped the output on external devices. I'd try the bluetooth option first.

It's a shame they don't follow the same spec as other devices. The razerphone adaptor is more than capable of outputting a loud sound.

Will pick up a Bluetooth adapter this week and will report back.

Associate
Which firmware are you on now? Just seen Funky Huawei post that 128 will be available soon for C432, does the international version already have 128?

I'm on .128 now, mine is C626 which is the international configuration.

Originally out of the box mine was shipped with .119 and initially kept stating no updates were available - however I was about to update via the FirmwareFinder & VPN method.

Liam.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure when I'll get my phone. It's had a DPD tracking number since last Thursday lunchtime but they're still awaiting my parcel to be given to them.

Delivery is expected by Monday so it's not late or anything but given DPD have had the details since Thursday and they've had most of Thursday, Friday and today to give the parcel to DPD, it's a bit disappointing it's not on its way yet.

Edit: 15 mins later and the status updated to say it's now on its way to my local depot so should hopefully have it tomorrow.

Last edited:
Associate
Not sure when I'll get my phone. It's had a DPD tracking number since last Thursday lunchtime but they're still awaiting my parcel to be given to them.

Delivery is expected by Monday so it's not late or anything but given DPD have had the details since Thursday and they've had most of Thursday, Friday and today to give the parcel to DPD, it's a bit disappointing it's not on its way yet.

Edit: 15 mins later and the status updated to say it's now on its way to my local depot so should hopefully have it tomorrow.

Sounds promising since your last update :) I bet you'll be tracking the driver down first thing tomorrow if it's on the way...

Liam.

Back
Top Bottom