Humankind - Amplitude Studio's take on Civilization

Associate
Bah...disappointed with the game creation options. I've just started it up to check. For reference, I always play Civ on the largest map possible, with as many Civs as possible and on Marathon game length, which I think is 1,500 turns. Had hoped that when release came around Humankind would have something similar in scale, so quite disappointed to find that the largest map is smaller, the max number of factions is only 10 and the longest game length (Endless) is only 600 turns.

(to be fair on the map size, the superlarge map size for Civ came after release, so in terms of map size at release, Humankinds is larger. Just a pity about the turn length being less than half the number of turns as Civs longest and only 10 factions, which is again less than half Civs.)

Is the game length related to the actual win conditions of Humankind compared to Civ? Whereas in Civ you can win at any point, the only way to win in HK is to have the most points at the end of the game?

Man of Honour
Is the game length related to the actual win conditions of Humankind compared to Civ? Whereas in Civ you can win at any point, the only way to win in HK is to have the most points at the end of the game?

Well could be, I mean Humankind doesnt really have the variety of win conditions that Civ has (another of the things that I mean in previous posts when saying it doesnt have the depth of Civ)

Soldato
I refunded my Steam copy last night as I had forgotten it was in game pass, and I’m not too bothered about the extra bits that came with preordering.

PC Gamer aren’t too impressed - 77%

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/humankind-review/

77% is a pretty good score to be fair, that's really an 8/10. Since when has 8/10 been a score were someone isn't to impressed.

Soldato
77% is a pretty good score to be fair, that's really an 8/10. Since when has 8/10 been a score were someone isn't to impressed.
Yeah, it's a peculiarity with game reviews in particular. Anything less than an 8 or 9/10 and a game seems to be written off as average by a lot of people!

Anyway, I've read quite a few reviews for this where the writers think it's starting with a very strong base and will only improve with updates over time.

Soldato
I've always felt that game reviews have been skewed with 7/10 being the midway mark instead of 5.

You're not wrong, I agree with that. Which is why I tend not to read into ign or reviewing outlets to much, all their reviews or certainly the majority are so skewed and nonsensical. 80 on metacritic currently though, user reviews are at 85%. That's a solid release and a game with potential.

Soldato
Saw this a couple of years ago, took a passing interest. Just happened to search it again after a dev video popped up in my Youtube recommended, and found it's released today!

Anyone bought it and can give some initial impressions? I've got a couple of weeks off work coming up, this would be a nice distraction from all the chores and DIY I had planned :p

Caporegime
After 5 hours I have noidea what's going on 200 turns in (max game limit 600) and only on the 3rd age (second unlock) I have one terrible city that seems unable to build anything and I seem to be wing culture flipped by civilizations that are still in the fog of war on the otherside of the globe.

Who also are only 3 age in

I don't know if I have achieved a lot or nothing but 5.7 hour has indeed passed and my significant other apparently went to bed some time ago.

I really don't know if it's a good or bad game or if it's just electronic crack.

BRB off to next turn a few more times, oh there are a few glitches/random freeze ups I got stuck for ever waiting for the enemy to take they're turn in combat and had to ctrl alt del.

I should point out I haven't played a civ game since 2

Associate
I've encountered a major problem this game with an "unending turn" bug. Not sure what triggers this issue, I've had it happen twice now in different playthroughs. Reloading an earlier save doesn't fix the problem. Hope they get this sorted out quickly as it's game breaking. Other people have had this happen several hundred turns into their game ; for me it happened much earlier, both times at <100 turns.

Caporegime
I've encountered a major problem this game with an "unending turn" bug. Not sure what triggers this issue, I've had it happen twice now in different playthroughs. Reloading an earlier save doesn't fix the problem. Hope they get this sorted out quickly as it's game breaking. Other people have had this happen several hundred turns into their game ; for me it happened much earlier, both times at <100 turns.

Oh check your notification area there nothing in it. And that your cites don't have the world's smallest transparent speech bubble for a narrative choice

Once minimised they don't remind you again but you cannot proceed to the next turn until you make the choice

Associate
You're not wrong, I agree with that. Which is why I tend not to read into ign or reviewing outlets to much, all their reviews or certainly the majority are so skewed and nonsensical. 80 on metacritic currently though, user reviews are at 85%. That's a solid release and a game with potential.
IGN were definitely at the front of my mind when I wrote that.

Anyone know how Humankind compares to Endless Legend?

Caporegime
IGN were definitely at the front of my mind when I wrote that.

Anyone know how Humankind compares to Endless Legend?

Endless legend seemed better.

Reskined, races all pretty much the same, no quests (a few random choices instead) but it may change later in th game won't get to play properly till next week.

Also a your culture changes completely (as does everyone else's) each Ge it feels a bit meh, as there's not much consistency

on the harder difficulties is hard to actually evolution how you want as the computers will be ahead of you and locked out most of the culture's before you get there.

So while there might be 10 to choose from you'll often get only 2 or 3 you can pick and probably not the one you hoped or would be helpful.

It seems a lot less focused than legend and. Lot less explained.

As I said before I had the Greeks culture flipping my capital and on the near random chance I could get to the cultural overlay (it doesn't seem to be part of the scroll map, I could only reach it from notifications which wernt always there) There's just a big line drawn off through rhe fog of war to the Greek capital half a world away with several empires between us.

Also no explanation of how to stop or fight the culture flip and seemingly nothing you can do. Except for one age where I had a unique power as a race to flip/boost the control of a territory

Associate
That's a shame. While I enjoyed Endless Legend it never did 'grab' me. Then again neither did the Endless Space games. Which is odd because I thought they seemed well done and should be right up my street, but if this is lacking over Legend then that's disappointing.

I think the only gave I've really enjoyed by them was Dungeon of the Endless.

Associate
Oh check your notification area there nothing in it. And that your cites don't have the world's smallest transparent speech bubble for a narrative choice

Once minimised they don't remind you again but you cannot proceed to the next turn until you make the choice

No, it's definitely a major bug. The game hangs on trying to process the turn ... it gets stuck on "turn pending" message in the bottom right.

Associate
That's a shame. While I enjoyed Endless Legend it never did 'grab' me. Then again neither did the Endless Space games. Which is odd because I thought they seemed well done and should be right up my street, but if this is lacking over Legend then that's disappointing.

I think the only gave I've really enjoyed by them was Dungeon of the Endless.

I don't know if it's lacking per se. From what I was able to play I quite enjoyed it but there is definitely some bug fixing and UI polishing to do to make it playable. For what it's worth I really enjoyed Endless Legend but it does take a bit of time to get used to the mechanics .... once you've figured that out it's one of the best fantasy 4X games out there.

Man of Honour
reading these comments im not sure i want to bother, had hope that this was a step forward over Civ games

Its more of a step sideways than a step forward, as I say theres enough different about it that it can comfortably sit alongside Civ but Civ is (imo) undoubtedly still the no.1 in historical 4x games.

Back
Top Bottom