Humming noise from rear suspension passenger (NS/R)? Any ideas?

Associate
It's not the Wheel bearing had that checked, and it's not the tyres or shock... Any ideas what it could be?

Running out of things to check now, its a Passat CC currently on standard suspension.

Associate
OP
Binding brake pad or perhaps the disc shield if it's got one?

Brand new disks and pads all around 2 months back but I'll double check thanks

Just another point to make, when the car is in the air on a ramp, and you move the wheel around as fast as possible it makes no noise... so it's only under load.

Associate
OP
Does the pitch or intensity change with your speed?

Any damage to the tyre?

Brand new tyres so no, and the intensity changes with speed, you can hear it getting slightly faster as my speed gets faster.

The pitch kind of stays the same, you can also feel it slightly through the car.

Soldato
Did it do it before the "Brand new tyres" went on? Many years ago I switched brands on a new set of tyres and they were just noisy due to the different tread pattern/compound. I assume you've had them balanced or not lost a weight?

Associate
OP
Did it do it before the "Brand new tyres" went on? Many years ago I switched brands on a new set of tyres and they were just noisy due to the different tread pattern/compound. I assume you've had them balanced or not lost a weight?

Yes was there before, also had it tracked and balanced.

did the noise go away after time or always stay there?

Soldato
did the noise go away after time or always stay there?

Just got used to it.

Daft idea but have you checked the exhaust bushes. It might just be resonating/humming a little due to vibrations. Also switch the wheels front to back on that side, you could have a slight buckle that can't be seen.

Associate
It's not the Wheel bearing had that checked, and it's not the tyres or shock... Any ideas what it could be?

Running out of things to check now, its a Passat CC currently on standard suspension.

How was the wheel bearing checked. They don't get play in them anymore apparently. On my insignia it had no play what so ever, in the end I even thought it was the gearbox, but it turned out to be the wheel bearing

Soldato
How was the wheel bearing checked. They don't get play in them anymore apparently. On my insignia it had no play what so ever, in the end I even thought it was the gearbox, but it turned out to be the wheel bearing

This

Checking suspect wheel bearings for slight noise is not easy.

As above, play is not necessarily an indicator, and jacking the car up and spinning the wheel is checking it unloaded.

You can sometimes get an idea if (On a clear stretch of road with no Policemen present! :D ) you weave from side to side at, say 30 MPH or so.

If it is a NS/R wheel bearing then the noise will generally go quieter as you swerve left and go louder as you swerve to the right.

But again, this test can give false negative results.

Caporegime
Another nod towards wheel bearing, as already said, very difficult to diagnose when stationary in a workshop.

I came across a transit van sat at the side of the road the other day, his o/s/f wheel had come off and bounced over a fence(!)

Couldn’t get the truck past him (and was too big to turn around) so sat chatting to the driver about what had happened, he said his wheel bearing had collapsed (which it certainly looked like) but his garage had said it was fine a few weeks back despite a continuous noise.

In his case he should have stopped once the “steering started feeling weird” but he didn’t....

Associate
OP
Took it to 2 different garages now both say they can't find the noise and believe it's not the wheel bearing :( It's quite loud after 50mph, doesn't change noise when cornering.

I'm thinking maybe the shocker? really ran out of ideas

Associate
OP
Just had wheel bearing done and noise is still there, it's almost like a flat spot sort of noise but again brand new tyres,

All i can put it down to now is just cheap tyres.

Although a lot of money has been spent, at least i know nothing is going to be dangerous having the breaks, tyres and wheel bearing changed.

Soldato
off the wall idea (maybe not original at all) to localise problem- get some recordings with a mobile phone inside boot, carpet back, on left/right, or even strap to outside. ..
-
with the petrol tanks etc maybe the origin of the noise is unclear

Soldato
First thing I always do is swap over rear wheels to see if the noise goes with it!

At least rules out or proves tyre/wheel combo isn't at fault, I've had buckled alloys that balance fine but droned slightly at motorway speeds, only found out when I went to a more trusted garage to get it checked and they spotted it within 10 minutes, it did cost me a set of alloys though since the OEM ones where notorious for bending.

Back
Top Bottom