Hungarian Grand Prix 2015, Hungaroring - Race 10/19

Man of Honour
#ForzaJules :(

4jovdOQ.png

Budapest

Hungary first hosted a Grand Prix in the 1930s, but following the Second World War and the building of the Iron Curtain it was not until the 1960s that motorsport began to find a place in the country.

At the start of the 1980s there was a general wish for a Grand Prix to be held behind the Iron Curtain and negotiations took place with the Soviet Union with a view to a race being held in Moscow. In the summer of 1983 however, the attention of the Formula One decision makers turned away from Moscow and towards Budapest in Hungary, whose national sporting authority was keen to put the country back on the map of global motorsport.

At first a street race through Budapest was suggested, but in the end the decision was taken to build a brand new circuit in a valley 19 kilometres outside Budapest.

The valley provided natural vantage points for spectators and in 1985 work began on the Hungaroring. The track opened in 1986 and it held its first Formula One event in August that year. It was a huge success and almost 200,000 fans showed up.

Although tight and twisty, the circuit has been known to throw up some great races, the most memorable being Thierry Boutsen's win in 1990, beating Ayrton Senna by 0.3 seconds, and of course the 1997 race where Damon Hill in the Arrows sensationally passed Michael Schumacher's Ferrari only to be denied the win by mechanical failure on the very last lap.

TV Times

Sky:
JVG2YRp.png

BBC:
[to be added]

Track Diagram & Information

EBO4oMV.png

Weather Forecast

kdP4WpI.png

2014 Onboard Lap

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom.../Hungary_2014_-_Nico_Rosberg_onboard_lap.html

2014 Race Edit

[to be added]

Hungary Preview Quotes

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom...iew-quotes---red-bull-on-the-hungaroring.html

WDC Standings

dWnNu4Z.png

Constructors' Championship Standings

11DYWaN.png

Practice 1

u2R3z7b.png

Practice 2

dq9A9GZ.png

Practice 3

H6zw8Rv.png

Qualifying

EbsVVT1.png

Race

MFmulFc.png

Last edited:

smr

smr

Soldato
Finally F1 is back! I am looking forward to this race weekend a lot but I feel a bit sad about it too as we're going to see lots of Jules Bianchi mentions, RIP :(

Aside from that I really liked the race here last year, brilliantly entertaining. Hopefully McLaren might be better here with chassis focus and less straights.

Thanks Shimmy.

Soldato
Indeed, as neither Sky nor the BBC can be arsed to actually film any decent pre-show features these days they might as well drag out tedious Bianchi blurb and gather in their respective huddles and talk about it among those who hardly knew the bloke... you know how it's going to be.

As sad as it will be, time needs to be divided as much as possible among those who did know him (perhaps ex-mechanics and team-mates - I can appreciate family and close friends won't want to talk to the media at this time). Instead there'll be a few half-minute interviews among current drivers and a couple of key team members, then it'll be Hill, Herbert and Brundle blabbing on about how he was such a "star in the making", and "potential that will never be fulfilled" for 40 minutes. You can guarantee one of the commentators will utter some tedious link as the winner crosses the line referencing some vague Bianchi fact.

Even on the day of Bianchi's death we already had Eddie Jordan jumping to get in front of a microphone saying that even live it appeared extremely serious... not bad considering it seemed as though the entire on-site BBC team hadn't even realised another driver had gone off (and as I remember they ignored even reporting what the FIA press officer had said after the race, though the live web reporter mentioned it).

I'm still incensed the crash was allowed to happen in the first place and how the "independent" review basically kissed the feet of those know should have, at the very least, been asked some extremely difficult questions afterwards. We had the answers years before last season started, but nobody asked the questions, and still they refuse to give the correct responses. Still, even common sense at the time ought to have prevailed - standing water in one particular corner, which has already caused a near-identical crash in the fairly recent past where a marshal was severely injured, with some drivers staying on worn intermediates... I ask once more... why wasn't he safety car deployed in the 2 minutes it took Bianchi to complete the next lap? It took them another minute or so to deploy the safety car after Bianchi had gone off and the marshal had almost immediately given the medical assistance sign.

Soldato
^ Ditto, astonishing lack of class shown already.

Given the lack of posts, I sense that was, in part at least, aimed at me. I'm merely anticipating the lack of class and effort that I expect to be shown by the "F1 community" in the week leading up to the GP. Of course I hope I'm wrong and that this will be treated with the sensitivity and class that Jules deserves, but I fear it will be half hearted, that we'll just have empty PR speak from much of the media and perhaps snippets of short commiserations from certain drivers, and that was just me voicing it in my way.

I admit it's a half-glass-full way of approaching a weekend and I of course fully hope I'm wrong in that stance. "The show must go on", but do it right at least. If we've got Hamilton and Rosberg a second apart at the end I don't want to hear about Jules Bianchi - Jules Bianchi wouldn't want to hear about Jules Bianchi. Murray didn't introduce Paletti at the end of the 1982 Canadian GP or Raztenberger in Imola in 1994 and not because it was frequent for a driver to die, as it wasn't at that time of course (there were 'only' two F1-related deaths in the 80s and two in the 90s). Somehow it seems as though it's a real deal, as though we know the drivers inside out. We know the façade we and they put out there, but if we pretend we're mourning as Jules's family are then we are merely insulting them.

I don't mourn for Jules. I'm terribly saddened by his loss of course, as any F1 fan ought to be, and I'm sure there are a few driver friends and colleagues who genuinely do mourn him, but if you expect anything but hollow words over the coming weekend you're, in my opinion, either masquerading as institutive or dumb. You can't truly mourn for someone if you don't truly know them, and if you are truly mourning their loss then you won't be talking to the media about it.

Perhaps it's ill-timed (you can judge your own feelings, but mine are still of mixed bitterness and despondency towards race control's lack of action in the moment leading up to Jules's crash, and I admit I've struggled to let that go for nearly a year now), but my overriding feeling has been of anger, and a longing hope that motorsport and F1 in particular learns from this needless loss.

I don't give a damn if people feel I'm not being wholly sensitive - I miss Jules on the track, of course I do, and he sounded like a great guy off it too, but above all I'll feel ashamed if I'm one of only a few who wants the sport they love to learn from the mistakes made which cost him his life and do something about it.

I honestly couldn't give a **** if people are upset by that. I hope they are, and I only wish those people had more influential positions in motorsport. Jules has lost his life needlessly, and for me that still resonates louder than his actual loss.

Last edited:
Soldato
What exactly do you want the media to do? Pretend nothing has happened?

They will focus on the biggest story at the time, which happens to be the death of Bianchi. If they did anything less they would just as quickly be accused of showing a lack of respect - which is exactly the point - showing respect. You don't have to "mourn" to do that.

Suggest you just skip to the sessions themselves rather than watch any build-up if you are that bothered by it :/

Soldato
Wow, that was poorly thought-out drunken post. The basic points I was trying to make are there, but not in the most sensitive of ways. Apologies about that. I'll leave it up as a lesson to myself, but it's not my proudest moment.

Don't know how I managed to write 'institutive' rather than 'insensitive' either...

What exactly do you want the media to do? Pretend nothing has happened?
Of course not, but talk to the people who actually cared for Jules and knew him rather than the stars of the sport. Those who are willing to speak on camera at what must be a difficult time. Like I say, ex colleagues as he came up through the ranks, people like that. I don't just want to hear from those who watched him in F1 - we've all seen that. Let's have some stories about him away from the track.

Anyway I read this earlier and it was good to see some of the smaller F1 media members (read: those probably not needing to report from the paddock) are still up in arms about the circumstances around Bianchi's crash and the lack of genuinely learning. Lessons from Bianchi crash NOT learned - thejudge13. You couldn't expect the likes of the BBC to run with that sort of article in one their column pieces, and that's fair enough, but it's nice to read something I generally agree with and have said since that day. I'd be willing to bet many of the more established motorsport writers have wanted to slam the authorities like that but have bit their tongue.

Soldato
Considering 'things like this' haven't happened for over 21 years, this seems like a rather pathetic thing to say.

Not really. Any time any F1 driver dies whether in the car or outside of it like Bianchi they keep going on and on and on about it. They'll show clips or him, talk to family and friends about him etc.. Most people just want to see the race, if they want to mourn the promising talent that he was, they will do it in their own time in their own way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Considering 'things like this' haven't happened for over 21 years, this seems like a rather pathetic thing to say.

Thing is I wouldn't say that is true. Bianchi sadly died last year, there was rightly a huge amount of talk about how and why the crash happened last year for a good couple of months after the race. Unfortunately nothing changed between basically that day in Japan and the weekend just gone. Bianchi died last year, medical science kept his body alive for almost a further year.

Everything was fine and no truly serious accident has happened for 21 years.... if he maintained a persistent vegetative state till he was 70 years old? But because his body finally gave up the crash is somehow worse now?

For all the nonsense at the time, with no strict speed limit to stick to drivers are encouraged for competitive reasons to go as fast as possible through yellow flag zones. In changing conditions it's impossible to know how fast is too fast when you haven't been through that corner in those conditions before. It was a known dodgy corner in terms of going off in wet conditions and has a history of catching drivers out in similar circumstances. There is a history of one car going off, a digger type truck going out to retrieve it and another car going off soon after almost hitting and actually hitting the digger(though a tiny love tap that time). The crash was predictable, when something happens(like a second car going off and hitting a digger/tractor type vehicle) you are supposed to learn from it and never repeat the same mistake. F1 didn't learn from that, didn't regard a known corner as a bigger safety risk and did allow a recovery vehicle out on track without neutralising the race without anticipating that another car could easily go off there.

F1 screwed up badly, Charlie screwed up badly, Suzuka screwed up badly because the exit to the barrier isn't exactly safe there either, there should be a proper overlap of one barrier to the next, due to the angle there a car could potentially go off and end up through the barriers.

A virtual safety car should have been implemented a decade ago and the actual top speed a car can do under similar circumstances should have been taken out of the drivers hands and not been an estimate or best guess. With proper yellow flag/virtual safety car rules Bianchi would be alive. But this was all fairly obvious a year ago and regardless of Bianchi's body giving up this week, the crash ended his life a year ago.

Back
Top Bottom