Hurricane Ophelia to Brush the Azores This Weekend; May Affect Ireland Next Week

Soldato
I tend to look at what the BBC is forecasting then I can pretty much guarantee it will be the opposite. So today, it is warm, dry and not windy as opposed to heavy rain, gale force winds forecast. i think it is time the BBC reviewed it's seaweed and pine comb approach to weather forecasting.
Weather forecasting went down hill once the BBC split from the Met office.

Caporegime
I tend to look at what the BBC is forecasting then I can pretty much guarantee it will be the opposite. So today, it is warm, dry and not windy as opposed to heavy rain, gale force winds forecast. i think it is time the BBC reviewed it's seaweed and pine comb approach to weather forecasting.
Weather forecasting went down hill once the BBC split from the Met office.

Yeah I’ve notice this too!

Soldato
Noaa estimates

023933.png

023933_earliest_reasonable_toa_no_wsp_34.png

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/?epac

Associate
Oh no, somebody think of the roof tiles!

That's "a bit windy". Tropical storm is 40-70mph winds, hurricane is a bit over the top.

Man of Honour
So far looking like a non-event for most of the UK - though could be reasonably severe for those places that do get hit.

Associate
Once you're in something like a hurricane, you're always worried about the next nasty storm or at least I am :( .

It's the same when a seemingly normal amount of rain destroys your house in a flood, you're scared of every bloody drop. My dad is like a 2017 Noah at the met office site every day.

Permabanned
Man of Honour
If you are in the South/South West of Ireland I'd recommend being prepared - moderate possibility of it coming in towards the more extreme end of the possible scale.

Man of Honour
as soon as it passes Portugal it will start to die .. no warmth in the water and that's what they use to breed off

https://www.windy.com/

Model runs this morning showed it holding power further North than is usually the case (quite a bit of contention on some of the weather forums over it hah). Waiting to see the latest model output to see if its still showing similar possibility.

EDIT: Mid-day runs are inconclusive - downgraded a bit from the morning runs but lower confidence in the outcome as well.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just in from walking my cat Millie and can report that up here in Edinburgh that it is very mild and a little breezy, we have not seen any of the massive amounts of rain as forecast by the BBC these past couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom