HZ27WA, HZ27WB & HZ27WC Problem Thread

Associate
Edit (10/04/2011): If you can ignore the problems mentioned in this thread, it's a brilliant monitor for the money!
I wouldn't let them put you off buying unless you require perfection from every pixel.
In real world use, you can quickly ignore a dead subpixel - the dust is a little more distracting though.

I was excitied to get delivery of the Hazro HZ27WC that I had pre-ordered earlier this week.
I opened the box, set it all up, screwed in the stand and then proceeded to adjust the tilt, only to hear the loud *crack* of a screw head popping off!

Things didn't improve when I plugged it in..

My issues:

• stuck subpixel - red
  • 10 groups of 'black' spots - what looks like dust or hair behind the glass
  • Bottom half of the monitor is 'yellow' rather than white (google 'imac 27 yellow tint')
  • Screw head snapped off on monitor stand
  • Glass panel is very poorly fitted (flush at the top but not at the bottom and a large gap between bezel and glass in the bottom right hand corner)

People with issues so far:

• phinix - dead subpixels AND black spots
  • silverf0x - dust/black spots
  • Mr Krugga - dead subpixels AND dust/black spots
  • von Pluring - dead pixel AND high pitch noise
  • Skunkworks - dead pixel AND black spots
  • neologan - palpable and visible defects on glass
  • Jody - dead pixel AND black spots
  • Sylver123 - dead pixels
  • deadite66 - dead pixels
  • DarkCell - dust (black spots)
  • Combat Fighter - dust (black spots)

My Pictures

Before taking pictures, I wiped down the screen with lint free wipes and screen cleaner spray - these defects are behind the glass!
All of these pictures are taken at a different place of the screen:

Now, I also have an apple cinema display (same panel) and use an imac 27 at work (same panel). Neither of those panels has such issues and the yellow tint is far less noticeable! However, this screen is half the price of the cinema display so perhaps I'm being too harsh!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I hate the AG coating on the dell ultrasharps.

The cinema display 27" is the best monitor I've ever seen, this hazro is the same panel but has some problems.

If you can afford it - get the ACD.

I'm still trying to work out what to do next with this hazro..

Caporegime
that does look unacceptable, ive never seen a glossy panel, and i wish dell or somone would make one with the pixel warranty they have, so i cant compare the dell to the hazro, to me the anti glare is fine, but again, ive never seen a glossy

my u2410 has a slight yellow tint [slight] but my u2711 has none, its practically perfect

you should get a replacement for the 'scar' like black areas

Soldato
I'm pretty sure a few of the bright sub-pixels are really defect on or under the glass - they change when looking from different angles.

I guess my panel isn't as bad as some others - even though a few of these bright sub-pixels, one or two show only on certain colours and other two are barely noticeable. Perhaps there's just one that will annoy me and I will either learn to live with it or DSR the panel.

Decisions, decisions...

BTW, I wonder what Hazro's approach will be regarding this panel defects, technically, they might not be dead pixels at all.

EDIT: Just found out that I have several small stuck sub-pixels - and warranty obviously doesn't cover them.

Last edited:
Soldato
Bad luck with the monitors, just get it replaced for a new one. At the end of the day its the same panel as my Dell U2711, which is lovely, so neutral. Amazing vivid and real colours. It is a shame they are no longer available for £523 though!

The main concern for me with the ACD is that it is so glossy that it reflects everything, but they are nice displays too...

Soldato
So basically Hazro have bought all the 27" panel stock none of the other manufacturers wanted because they're duff in one way or another, hence the pixel policy, hence the price.

Honestly just get the Dell.

Associate
Are we able to RMA with these issues? as i dont think we should have to pay return postage when they are sent out to us like this

Associate
OP
From the statistics so far, I'm pretty confident that replacement is not going to help.

My thoughts are that ocuk and hazro have sold mostly class 2 (ISO 13406-2) screens to us. This wouldn't be an issue if the product description said something along the lines of "95% of these screens WILL have defects" or were marked as B-grade. What we were actually told was that these are comparable to apple cinema displays - which is not the case at all (trust me - I have one!).

My main issue is with the black spots all over the screen which I'm fairly sure is dirt. Whilst a few stuck subpixels is annoying it's not as bad as the dark 'scars'. With the iMacs and cinema displays, uou can remove the glass panel with some suction cups [see here]to remove the dirt - but I'm not sure how the glass is secured on these monitors.

Last edited:
Associate
It looks like you can add badly fitted glass cover to the list.

My bottom right corner, where all the issues are does not sit flush (neither does the lower left side), there is a definite gap.
Also i have one stuck pixel right above all the dust :(

Associate
OP
I have submitted an RMA request with overclockers with the main issue being the areas of 'black spots' which are effectively dead pixels (since you can't see behind them even if it is just dust).
Hopefully I can get a better unit, I'm not expecting perfection but it seems I have one of the worst units for the 'black spots' issue.

The warranty pages in the hazro booklet tell you that pixel faults must be reported within 72 hours of delivery - so get your RMA requests in now even if you haven't decided to return it yet!

Associate
DON'T FORGET DSR!!! YOU HAVE 7 WORKING DAYS (NOT INCLUDING WEEKENDS) TO RETURN ANY GOODS PURCHASED OVER THE INTERNET. DON'T PANIC. AS LONG AS YOU GET THEM BACK TO OCUK WITHIN 7 DAYS IT'S COOL :)

I honestly feel sorry for OCUK though as this will be expensive and time consuming for them. Hopefully Hazro will step up and take responsibility.

Soldato
DON'T FORGET DSR!!! YOU HAVE 7 WORKING DAYS (NOT INCLUDING WEEKENDS) TO RETURN ANY GOODS PURCHASED OVER THE INTERNET. DON'T PANIC. AS LONG AS YOU GET THEM BACK TO OCUK WITHIN 7 DAYS IT'S COOL :)

I honestly feel sorry for OCUK though as this will be expensive and time consuming for them. Hopefully Hazro will step up and take responsibility.

Well OcUK is charging a good mark-up on the screens and upping the price whenever they want, I can't feel sorry if they get flooded with returns.

I'm sure Hazro will cover most of the returns (if not all) though.

And DSR is good as long as you don't mind paying whatever it costs to get the monitor to them. And I bet it costs a lot :(

Associate
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how Hazro got a hold of these panels??? From what I understand, all IPS panels are strong AG and manufactured by LG, but Apple paid major premium for glossy panels. Hazro certainly doesn't possess even a fraction of Apple's cash pile, so how the heck did they get these???

Back
Top Bottom