• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I actually had a faulty Ryzen 1700x I think? 50 to 60c idle temp.

Associate
Hi,

Setup is MSI B350 Tomahawk and Corsair H110i.

Upon first boot it was sat at 55c in the bios, I thought it may be a buggy BIOS. But I booted into Windows (on my old install) and saw it was now at 60c in the AMD Ryzen utlity.

Remounted the H110i twice with new paste, no luck, identical temps. Putting it under load was impossible as it hit 70c+ pretty much instantly. It was also very loud.

At this point I really am scratching my head wondering how the H110i could be faulty, wondered if the pump wasn't working etc. I was thinking maybe I could have mounted it wrong, but it really is very very simple to install on the AM4 socket. I saw other people with the B350 Tomahawk reporting normal temps, so I ruled that out.

So I picked up a Ryzen 1700 with the stock cooler.

Firstly I fitted the stock cooler with the 1700x... 62c to 69c at idle! at this point I knew it had to be the CPU.

Fitted the 1700 with the H110i, 31c idle...

So yeah I am RMA'ing the CPU. I have built 100's if not 1000's of PC's and I've never had a faulty CPU. Has anyone else had a faulty Ryzen CPU?

Hope this helps if anyone else has the same issue with stupidly high temps!

Associate
OP

Yep... 100% not a heatsink problem, it was very tight to the CPU with both the H110i and the stock cooler. Also the problem disappeared when swapping from the 1700x to the 1700 but with the same cooler.

Might be the motherboard overvolting the CPU??

CPU-z reported normal voltage. I have tried up to 1.45v on the 1700 and I am still nowhere near the temps the 1700x was reporting.

Soldato
Yep... 100% not a heatsink problem, it was very tight to the CPU with both the H110i and the stock cooler. Also the problem disappeared when swapping from the 1700x to the 1700 but with the same cooler.

CPU-z reported normal voltage. I have tried up to 1.45v on the 1700 and I am still nowhere near the temps the 1700x was reporting.

The R7 1700X is meant to be somewhat leakier according to some people,so probably is consuming more power at the same voltage as the R7 1700.

Soldato
The R7 1700X is meant to be somewhat leakier according to some people,so probably is consuming more power at the same voltage as the R7 1700.

Surely not to the tune of 60 degrees at idle though?

OP does sound like he's got a weird one. I guess it's possible to get a badly made unit without enough/any solder twixt the chip and heatspreader or something... sooner or later, someone's gonna get the duffer.

Associate
OP
Surely not to the tune of 60 degrees at idle though?

OP does sound like he's got a weird one. I guess it's possible to get a badly made unit without enough/any solder twixt the chip and heatspreader or something... sooner or later, someone's gonna get the duffer.

Sorry yeah I should have added that when I ran the built in CPU-Z benchmark it was hitting over 70c pretty much instantly on the single thread test, I stopped it immediately. That was with the H110i too.

Soldato
I had this with an old skt 939 4000+ and had to delid the bugger.
Willing to bet the Solder under the Ihs isn't making a great contact between die and Ihs.

Man of Honour
Would be interesting to know if it was actual CPU temp or faulty calibration - without something like the fluid temperature in the loop or a laser temperature sensor to go on hard to tell though.

I've run into 1-2 Intel CPUs in my time with faulty sensors (mostly LGA775 quads).

Probably as above poor interface with the IHS however.

Soldato
Would be interesting to know if it was actual CPU temp or faulty calibration - without something like the fluid temperature in the loop or a laser temperature sensor to go on hard to tell though.

I've run into 1-2 Intel CPUs in my time with faulty sensors (mostly LGA775 quads).

Probably as above poor interface with the IHS however.

I've had a few lga775 chips with stuck sensors. Mainly on 1 core. But never reporting higher temps.

Back
Top Bottom