i am wantng to hit my p5q-e with a hammer

Associate
Hey guys sorry if you've already this this i posted in the hardware, maybe i would have been better posting here first.

I've just built my new system (Q6600 + asus p5q-e board etc) i am having a nightmare at the moment with the on board sound/motherboard. Everytime i plug my 5.1 speakers into the machine (i am runnign the old one plus the new one for now) my pc (new one) freeze, i can still numlock and cap lock to get the keyboard to respond but then the buffer will get full.. takes me a lot of mucking about to get it to work again.

When i've plugged the speakers in the auto detect kicks in (what have you plugged into the green jack etc) once i've finished that, then the problsm start.

I had updated the chipset (from the asus website) a few days ago and only really noticed it a few days ago.

The programe/tool thats auto detecting the speakers is called audio esp, must have come with the motherboard disc, cant find it to delete. I've clicked on "dont auto detect" but it makes no difference. Pc will run fine while its open.. soon as its closed freezes the system.

Removed cmos battery booted, speakers work fine, put battery back in booted speakers work fine. Removed jacks from the mainboard put them abck in.. the pop up appears again and freezes again!

any ideas?

Soldato
Do it...

asusrepairaf8.jpg

:D

Or, it might be worth trying a cheap and nasty soundcard like an x-fi if you have one lying around?

Also, make sure you've got the latest BIOS and drivers...

Associate
OP
Didnt expect people to have actually done it heh.

Well ive updated the sound drivers, uninstalled the 3dmax sound driver plugged speakers in no probs (although no sound as you'd expect) installed the newest ones from the asus website and it happens again.

I have managed to work out at what point this is happening. Anything to do with 5.1, if i plug the yellow jack (centre speaker and sub) into any other socket or just leave it out its fine. As soon as you plug it into where it should be it brings up configure to 5.1 then freezes.

I forgot to mention that i can still move the mouse when it freezes, its just windows. Cant ctrl alt del, cant click on anything, i tried giving it a little time to think things over (30mins) and its still frozen.

Bios update i guess. What version of bios are people using? I have 1306 if i remember rightly (not at the pc at the moment am at work). Just needed to put that on one of my bootable flash drives (assuming the board will usb boot, cant say i've noticed the option to enale or disable this in the bios)

Man of Honour
I got through 3x P5N32-E SLI and 1x striker extreme before giving up on Asus - none of them lasted long before they stopped posting, C1 error, etc. and one was just completely unstable whatever I did.

Associate
Hey funguST...

Hey guys sorry if you've already this this i posted in the hardware, maybe i would have been better posting here first.

I've just built my new system (Q6600 + asus p5q-e board etc) i am having a nightmare at the moment with the on board sound/motherboard. Everytime i plug my 5.1 speakers into the machine (i am runnign the old one plus the new one for now) my pc (new one) freeze, i can still numlock and cap lock to get the keyboard to respond but then the buffer will get full.. takes me a lot of mucking about to get it to work again.

When i've plugged the speakers in the auto detect kicks in (what have you plugged into the green jack etc) once i've finished that, then the problsm start.

I had updated the chipset (from the asus website) a few days ago and only really noticed it a few days ago.

The programe/tool thats auto detecting the speakers is called audio esp, must have come with the motherboard disc, cant find it to delete. I've clicked on "dont auto detect" but it makes no difference. Pc will run fine while its open.. soon as its closed freezes the system.

Removed cmos battery booted, speakers work fine, put battery back in booted speakers work fine. Removed jacks from the mainboard put them abck in.. the pop up appears again and freezes again!

any ideas?

Having almost the same problem here with my P5Q-E and the Autodetect function on the SoundMAX control panel... Except, unplugging the jacks and then a quick reset will get my system back up and running then I switch off the Autodetect in SoundMAX.

Got onto Asus support about it and they said it's a weird problem!!! Said to update to bios 1406, uninstall SoundMAX and reinstall with latest version from their site... I still had same problem after doing this, they then suggested clearing CMOS (by moving the jumper pin positions, which in all honesty I haven't got round to doing yet :rolleyes:) and starting again with a fresh SoundMAX install... Other than that the only other suggestion from them was to get back in-touch with the retailer you brought it from as it could be faulty..

I've switched off the autodetect for the moment as can live without it and it seems to be working alright now... Will try clearing the CMOS with the jumper switches on Monday and see if that helps..

Slightly off-topic, just want to say this is a fantastic forum with tones of helpfull info and some great advice.. Certainly helped me pick out parts for my system, which I'm still working on lol..!! Nice one all :)

Last edited:
Soldato
I got through 3x P5N32-E SLI and 1x striker extreme before giving up on Asus - none of them lasted long before they stopped posting, C1 error, etc. and one was just completely unstable whatever I did.

...and I have always had ASUS boards and not one issue!

Swings and roundabouts...

Back
Top Bottom