I assume everyone knows this? Master socket ADSL

Soldato
Got sky a couple of weeks ago, not very impressed with the speed. Im about 5km away from the exchange (and over a canal) I get just about 2Mb. My house is a new build so i assume i would'nt be troubled with a bad connection ect.

I believe i should get about 4-5mb. Found this on a Sky support forum.

http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/cabl...59-try-your-master-socket-better-results.html

This will work for any ADSL subscriber. I will share my results tomorrow evening.

PS - Remove the master socket and use the test socket to test.

Last edited:
Associate
This will only give you an increase if your local wiring in your house is crap or has some kind of interferance on them.

I think your problem is more down to the fact that you are 5-6km away from the exchange especially if this is the way the crow flies, as your cable lenght could be substanitally longer than this.

But certanly if you have easy access to your master socket plug your router in there and do some tests, good luck

Last edited:
Associate
i suffered for line drops fairly solid so i removed the face plate and put the adsl filter directly into the socket, worked a charm there are replacement face plates that you can buy that are a lot better, i never bothered as mine is well out of the way

Soldato
That'll be the Kennett & Avon, will it? :)
I imagine being the 'wrong' side of the canal could cause quite an increase in the length of the local loop. Fortunately I'm the same side of the K&A as my local exchange and only about 1km ATCF.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, Staverton Marina development (nr Trowbridge). Although its a new build so i would assume wiring would be top notch.
Well tried it just now. Its was 1985 down and 768 up, Now its 2878 down with a noise margin of 5.8db compared to 7.4db.

:( ive had to put the plate back on as the wife wont have 10m cat5 cable running from the lounge HTPC to the hall way. heheh got some cabling to do then!.

1mb increase cant be a bad thing :)

Anyone know of anything else to gain that little bit of extra speed like overclock my ADSL connection :D

Last edited:

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I would put it down to distance. You're lucky to get 2MBiT @ 5KM. My old house synced 1.7MBiT @ 3.5KM :(

Back
Top Bottom