I bought this...

Soldato
Turns out I was mad in the end... Got off work in Basingstoke a little early, and drove to Manchester. Saw this, checked it out, and put a deposit down:

pugfront.jpg

It's pretty mint really, 1999 T plate, 53k miles, only mods are the lowering and the badges have come off the back.

The clutch seems a little stiff, with short travel, but it's not slipping yet - might need replacing soon though. Other than that, engine sounds healthy, runs and pulls well, brakes pull up strongly and straight, it's been regularly serviced - FSH and all MOTs from new, the interior is the best leather one I've seen.

I'm heading back up on Saturday morning to pick it up, can't wait :D

Soldato
I edited like 4 times lol :p

Yeah, it's gonna be around the £3k mark! I dont think they depreciate too much now days...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They do go for a fair whack, yes! A *lot* more than an equivalent Saxo VTS, I just didn't want a Saxo - for whatever reason.

I paid £4,350, which is about right (maybe a couple of hundred over the odds perhaps). T/V/W plates with low mileage seem to fetch a premium - but I wanted a lower mileage one so it would hold some resale value in a couple of years time. I could have had a 98 R plate with 80k for a thousand less, but that would be well over 100k in 2 years time.

Soldato
OP
Felt like a long-in-the-tooth clutch to me. Bit of dead "play" in the pedal at the top, hard to push right to the floor, and bit very low down. Drove a GTi with a brand new clutch the other week on a testdrive, which felt springy, light, and bit high up.

It's going in for a full service and check over when I pick it up though, so I'll get the clutch looked at, and see how long it'll hold out for though.

GT3

GT3

Soldato
Yeah stiff clutch and short travel means it will have been replaced I think. When I fitted a new clutch to my last saxo it stiffened the pedal a lot and I didn't change the cable. Mine used to bite high up and when the new one was fitted it bit low down, but thats just how much the cable has been tightened.

But nearly 4 and a half grand for a 7 year old Pug 106, I think you're a bit mad mate. My friend paid £4900 for a 51 plate with 19k miles and I thought he paid too much!

Soldato
timbob said:
Felt like a long-in-the-tooth clutch to me. Bit of dead "play" in the pedal at the top, hard to push right to the floor, and bit very low down. Drove a GTi with a brand new clutch the other week on a testdrive, which felt springy, light, and bit high up.

It's going in for a full service and check over when I pick it up though, so I'll get the clutch looked at, and see how long it'll hold out for though.

The newer the clutch, the stiffer it will be and the closer the bite point will be to the floor. The clutch cables are self adjusting also.

Soldato
OP
Have a look on autotrader mate - do a sub 60,000 mile search nationally, and only 20 come up. Half of them are over £4k, a 3 or 4 more within a hundred quid of £4k, and those that are left are all older ones that have been on the trader for weeks - a sure sign that nobody's buying them. The good ones seem to get snapped up within a day of going on sale - I've missed out on 3 that I otherwise would have bought by a matter of hours over the last month.

Back
Top Bottom