• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I broke it! | RTX 3090 Water block install gone wrong

Associate
Suppose it depends if the OP has accidental damage cover or not on his contents insurance. As the fault occurred due to initial accidental damage then you would think it would be ok, the attempt at repair could also be classified as accidental as well.

Permabanned
Yh of all the good causes out there donating money to a guy that wilfully wrecked his brand new £1700 gpu is right near the top of my list...
Lol I feel for the op but at the same time he choose to spend £1700 on a gpu so he’s not exactly hard up.

I’m not sure if my entire rig cost £1700 yet alone just the gpu.

Permabanned
Suppose it depends if the OP has accidental damage cover or not on his contents insurance. As the fault occurred due to initial accidental damage then you would think it would be ok, the attempt at repair could also be classified as accidental as well.
He’s already ruled out claiming on insurance. I wonder if he’s going to spend another £1700 :rolleyes:

Soldato
Jesus Christ almighty, why would you even attempt such a thing unless you were 100% calm and collected, I would NEVER and I REPEAT NEVER attempt such a thing with the opposite sex in the vicinity of at least 2 miles radius.

Permabanned
Better auction on ebay, then buy another GPU .. assuming she goes for enough money.

But seriously, so sorry. I am not sure what I would do, I guess sell it on ebay is the only thing you can do. I mean you could always send it back and plead innocence, you never know.

HRL

HRL

Soldato
Reassemble it and claim it just blew up?

Not the ethical thing to do but I’m sure people do it all of the time.

Associate
Another vote for house insurance. I once accidentally stepped on my Titan Xp and bent the card, PCIE connector that goes into the motherboard wasn’t straight, but arched.

I was completely honest, submitted a claim online and photos, got a call within 3 hours asking some questions and day after got a payout minus my excess.

Similar to me.

I messed up reapplying the thermal paste to a Titan Xp (too complicated to go into) whilst fitting a water block and left it kaput. I claimed on the house insurance, was totally honest about it. They asked for a report from an IT professional (I use a guy for my business) and they paid out no problem

After I was paid out I bought another and went through the process of fitting to block again. Needless to say I was rather nervous but turned out totally fine the second time around.

Associate
Hi all,

I installed a waterblock on my msi 2080ti went fine, but yes you have to confident , Stating obvious I know,and ensure you check everything as many times as needed.

Runs at up 2140 at 55 degree c

I was also looking at doing same to a 3090 , but is it worth the upgrade ?

Then I see there is a inno3d with a waterblock installed, of course they on on pre order

Best regards to everyone.

Associate
I did my Asus 3090 Strix, was a mare tbh especially with all the different sized thermal pads, I have done loads of GPU's over the years and this was the worst I think, doesn't help with my failing eyesight as well and the fact the backplate never came with the correct screws.
I did however have a selection from all my previous blocks and got it fitted eventually.

Soldato
Hi all,

I installed a waterblock on my msi 2080ti went fine, but yes you have to confident , Stating obvious I know,and ensure you check everything as many times as needed.

Runs at up 2140 at 55 degree c

I was also looking at doing same to a 3090 , but is it worth the upgrade ?

Then I see there is a inno3d with a waterblock installed, of course they on on pre order

Best regards to everyone.

in hitman 3 the 3090 runs 70% faster than the 2080ti. Games that make full use of the compute power show massive gains over the 2080ti

As for water, depends what card and how low you can get the temps. It's not a huge difference but with a high power limit and low temps a water cooled 3090 will run 10% faster than an overclocked air cooled 3090

Associate
Hello mate. I'm red your story about broken GPU. I saw on one YouTube channel person who doing GPU cards repairing. Some card is in very bad condition. Sometime he can repair sometimes no. But he knows his job very well. You can try contact with him and ask about any possible for repairing. Make few pictures an den him. I find on YouTube his email . He is from Ukraine. His email is- [email protected] His channel is "Mainers in socks" (Манеры в носках). Good luck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom