• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I broke it! | RTX 3090 Water block install gone wrong

Associate
OP
Where did he order from?! And surprised they had stock in the first place to send a replacement? lol

I wondered that myself. I purchased from another main retailer. Not OCUK.

I imagine they keep a few back for warranty replacement.

I've decided not to do the water block install.
I'll wait until the card is out of warranty and then do it!! Best not push my luck!

Associate

I'll wait until the card is out of warranty and then do it!! Best not push my luck!

Yeah not worth it mate. enjoy the card.

Associate
My neighbours kept claiming for daft things on home insurance, lost/broken designer sunglasses etc they wound up being black listed by some firms and had crazy premiums for rest.

House insurance really is for your house, when multi thousand pound damage or loss has occured. An rtx 3090 pales in comparison to what it is actually for. Can't believe the advice on this thread from some.

I worked for a house insurance provider for 9 years.

House insurance is split into 2 types, contents and buildings. The Buildings part is for the house, contents are whats inside.

Contents insurance covers you for anything you own (with exclusions), but with an excess to stop small claims for breaking cheap things. However its not just for multi thousand claims at all, thats nonsense. If you knock an £800 TV over you are more than entitled to claim for it.

However your comment is true about continual claims, if you do keep claiming you will end up not being able to renew your policy.

As for this case I would have been surprised if an insurer would have paid out on it. If you have a lightning strike, or you accidentally knock your PC out the window it would be covered, but to open it up and break it from installing waterblocks as an upgrade could be deemed as non-accidental. However you might get lucky depending on who processes the claim.

Luckily he didnt need to go down that route!

Associate

Good choice. Keep it stock. The most you should do is thermal paste and thermal pad replacement mods and keep it on air cooling.
The Strix already has 3 mOhm shunts for the NVVDD and MSVDD current rails (these are not part of the main shunts) so if you throw a 520W crossflashed vbios on there, you will only run into the TDP limits, not the "hidden" limits affecting other cards.

You got very lucky with that replacement card.

BTW, about the power limits discussion, we think it's the MSVDD and NVVDD current rails, that are not exposed on HWinfo (since they are smart power stages, and there is no standardized reference API for monitoring them). We know from schematics that two small shunts (1206 package) control these rails, and they are usually in line with two larger (2512) shunts. Most cards use 5 mOhm shunts for these rails. We also know the Asus Strix uses 3 mOhm shunts for these rails, which is why if you shunt mod the main 7 shunts on a Strix with 5 mOhm stacked shunts, you don't get any power limit throttling on Timespy Extreme at all, because we think the reason is the MSVDD/NVVDD rails have 3 mOhms rather than 5 (the shunt resistance is proven in a schematic--but it could also be the Strix bios as well, as the editor doesn't show the NVVDD or MSVDD current limits).

Dante and I will be getting 1206 package shunts tomorrow, and some Founder's Edition mods will happen to see if those two shunts are what is limiting the cards to <580W, and possibly causing Superposition 4k Custom--Extreme shaders to heavily throttle even before that.

I may not even bother to do the mod right away since even with proper 3M High temp polymide tape protection, those are still very small shunts to stack, and I'm on air cooling (With VRAM that lost the lottery...650+ mhz offset is unstable and +700 mhz just black screens then the system restarts from a failed watchdog recovery error, although my Core is average). which means >560W=80C GPU Core anyway. Dante is on water and has a silicon lottery winner, so he could probably end up on the bot leaderboards if the mod works for him.

Last edited:
Associate
A few years back I successfully claimed on my house insurance for a 1080ti I lost due to an accidental Water Cooling leak when filling my loop.

Its tricky and will depend on the person dealing with the claim and the company.

What you did there was an accident, you were carrying out a reasonable action and had an accident. If however you dismantled the graphics card in a non standard way then its wilful and not accidental. Then you might submit a claim and they dont fully understand what it is and pay anyway!

Back
Top Bottom