• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I can probably guess the answer to this...

Soldato
But would I be stupid going from a Gtx 980ti to 2 x rx 480?

I'd like to have an all amd system just for giggles. But I'm also concerned about nvidia performance on Ryzen as well, which is another reason.
But don't want to spend a lot.

I game less on pc these days, but do still get some in.

What's crossfire like these days?

Or would I be better off just sticking in a second 980ti when I can pick one up cheap for like £200?

I know Vega on its way... But is a big unknown. Here I'm just going off known elements.

Soldato
Personally you would be better of waiting for Vega. The lower Vega card might just fall somewhere around what 480 crossfire will cost. Off course i have no idea on that but a card competing with the 1070 is expected. I would stay away from Multi gpu for now.

Soldato
Multi-GPU hasn't had much love from modern AAA titles, so I personally wouldn't advise going crossfire/SLI unless you're playing older but still demanding games only, or you know your favourite game(s) support it. I would assume future games don't support multi-GPU and any that do are a pleasant surprise.

There isn't an AMD GPU that you could swap to that would be an upgrade to your current 980ti, so if you're after anything other than a sidegrade you're looking at sticking with Nvidia. I know it's hard, but I'd say to keep your money in your pocket and wait it out until Vega comes along and see what that does to the market and second hand GPU prices.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, haven't used crossfire since 290x and hoped it may have improved...

I did have sli 980ti before, but made some money back from second card as at that time I was doing almost no pc gaming.

Am doing a bit more now, hence the pondering.

I wouldn't mind sticking to nvidia but their cards seem to actively dislike Ryzen.

I can happily continue til Vega, but with the long weekend it may have been a nice time to play.

Back
Top Bottom