I can't quite get this word Al Murray says

Associate
*** video removed, too many swearies ***

@1:52 fella in the end of the row here what is your name "scua"?

I don't know what he says in the "scua", he says that word more times during the performande. I've tried some similar words on urbandictionary but I was not lucky.

Damn English is so though to understand to me, I will nevever be able to call myself bilingual (last week I received a lesson on humillity with Liverpool fans in Madrid as I couldn't understand a single word they were saying among themselves when I was walking by. Luckily no one talked to me :D)

Associate
OP
btw may I ask how did you guys got to knew he says 'squire' even thought the spelling is so different from what it sounds and it's not such a popular word?(or is it?)

Soldato
btw may I ask how did you guys got to knew he says 'squire' even thought the spelling is so different from what it sounds and it's not such a popular word?(or is it?)

We use logic, it would be odd to call someone a square or a skewer or some combination of the 2, so squire makes the most sense for what he means to say

Man of Honour
Logic, context and familiarity/experience.

It's a fairly old fashioned term but still quite well known when used in context.

Associate
I have heard it used by people from various regions throughout my life. It is always used in the same way as mate is commonly used now towards those considered equals. Most of the Urbandictionary entries were completely new or off the mark to me :p.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Calls him a squire but pronounces it as square/skewer

We use logic, it would be odd to call someone a square or a skewer or some combination of the 2, so squire makes the most sense for what he means to say

It doen't matter how many years I've been learning English (over 20 years) you guys still are capable of amazing me. I don't want to sound a bit odd, but sometimes I wonder how do you guys understand each other?. The RP English sounds SO DIFFERENT from English spoken on the street, like SOOOOOOOOO ******* DIFFEREEEENT do you guys realize that or it's only foreigners? thousands of accents, lot of people pronounces certain words different, etc... It is so impossible to call oneself bilingual, actually impossible.

Logic, context and familiarity/experience.

It's a fairly old fashioned term but still quite well known when used in context.

Allright that explains it. I had never heard of it in any tv series or films that I have seen. Do you guys have any example of a video where I could whatch it? If not it's ok, it's just cuiosity of the English language, which keeps amazing me every day.

Feel free to correct me ANYTHING you see which is not correct.

Man of Honour
My colleague from Madrid came to work in Newcastle for a year. She said that within 5 minutes of entering the office "I realised all my years studying English was for NOTHING" :p

The true meaning of the word was to describe a noble or highly esteemed man, but has fallen into slang use in modern times.
You could broadly group it with terms such as mate, chief, dude, pal, chap.

Feek calls me squire.

Associate
It doen't matter how many years I've been learning English (over 20 years) you guys still are capable of amazing me. I don't want to sound a bit odd, but sometimes I wonder how do you guys understand each other?. The RP English sounds SO DIFFERENT from English spoken on the street, like SOOOOOOOOO ******* DIFFEREEEENT do you guys realize that or it's only foreigners? thousands of accents, lot of people pronounces certain words different, etc... It is so impossible to call oneself bilingual, actually impossible.

Allright that explains it. I had never heard of it in any tv series or films that I have seen. Do you guys have any example of a video where I could whatch it? If not it's ok, it's just cuiosity of the English language, which keeps amazing me every day.

Feel free to correct me ANYTHING you see which is not correct.

Pretty sure they say 'squire' many times in Game of Thrones - used to describe a 'position' held by a knights underling, e.g Podrick Payne who squires for Brienne of Tarth, helping with armour, introductions, cooking etc. It's technically the same word and meaning, however these days it more just means 'mate'.

Associate
OP
My colleague from Madrid came to work in Newcastle for a year. She said that within 5 minutes of entering the office "I realised all my years studying English was for NOTHING" :p

That's so true and it applies to every English learner that visits the UK or Ireland. It's like yeeh I cant understand Rachel, Chandler, Joey or Ross just perfect. The UK/Ireland is the ******* final boss. TV is just easy mode. Real people speaks English 2.0, something just different :D

Man of Honour
It doen't matter how many years I've been learning English (over 20 years) you guys still are capable of amazing me. I don't want to sound a bit odd, but sometimes I wonder how do you guys understand each other?. The RP English sounds SO DIFFERENT from English spoken on the street, like SOOOOOOOOO ************G DIFFEREEEENT do you guys realize that or it's only foreigners? thousands of accents, lot of people pronounces certain words different, etc... It is so impossible to call oneself bilingual, actually impossible.

No, we know it too. It used to be much worse, by the way. Local dialects have become considerably less diverse since the widespread use of TV. Maybe radio, though that had less effect. If you went back 100 years, you could travel merely dozens of miles and encounter mutually unintelligable dialects. Not just different accents and some changes in pronunciation, but full on dialects. English is more homogenous now than in most of the past. I think English might have been homogenous in the early middle ages, before it came to Britain, but it soon got thrown into a thousand different pots and stewed with different ingredients to different degrees. Throw in some Old Norse, some Latin, some French, some Brythonic languages, some Greek (but different amounts of each in different parts of the country), add in some extra letters for fun, add in a millenia of parochialism so the cooking is different in different parts of the country, then radically change the pronunciation of vowels (but to different extents in different parts of the country) and the meaning of some words (but different words in different parts of the country and different meanings for the same word in different parts of the country), then simmer for a few centuries...and you get modern English! Or Englishes :)

Then there's spelling, which adds a whole new level of confusion. Some of it's due to that change in pronunciation of vowels ("the great vowel shift") because the spelling of only some words changed to reflect the changes in pronunciation. Many words are still spelled in a way that matches the pre-change pronunciation and aren't even close to matching the current pronunciation. Some of it's just because that's how English is. Ever wondered why "blood" is pronounced "blud" despite there clearly being a double o, which should be pronounced as a long 'o'? It's because it used to be pronounced as a long 'o'. 'blood', rhymes wth 'mood'. But not any more for some reason. There's a bit of linguistics joke about 'ghoti' being a correct spelling of 'fish'. There are English words in which 'gh' is pronounced as 'f', words in which 'o' is pronounced as a short 'i' and words in which 'ti' is pronounced as 'sh'. For example: Enough, women and function. ghoti. Pronounced "fish" :)

Incidentally, "squire" originally meant a person who was a personal assistant to a knight. It was a respected position, quite often held by people who would become knights. A squire served a knight, but often effectively as an apprentice. A squire as a boy, a knight as a man. Even if that wasn't the case, it was still a good position. An early version of a "gentlemen's gentleman", in a way. The meaning of the word has changed several times. I'm sure that doesn't surprise you with English :)

English a weird language. I'm glad I learned it when I was too young to know any different.

Caporegime
I've always seen squire as a knights helper/servant apprentice.
One thing I notice coming back to London is how quickly I slip back into, yeah mates and innits... I hate myself.

Man of Honour
To be fair even native speakers struggle with that lot :D

I sit next to a Hungarian guy at work and his English is great but when he first came over here he said the first Dr he ever went to see was a Scottish woman and he didn't have any clue what she was going on about, I said it's fine even most English people struggle with a proper Scottish accent/dialect.

Soldato
I was brought up surrounded by 3 towns, they’re about 5-10 miles apart and all 3 have different accents, slang and even attitudes. It must be very peculiar for outsiders :p.

Soldato
The RP English sounds SO DIFFERENT from English spoken on the street, like SOOOOOOOOO ******* DIFFEREEEENT do you guys realize that or it's only foreigners?

RP English is virtually unused in the UK outside of a small number of TV shows so we'd never see any difference.

I use RP (or as close as I can get) as I'm an instructor out in Saudi Arabia teaching very technical subjects (aviation theory & electronics) to foreign students and I have to stop using my "local-UK" accent, which is full of slang/jargon and is spoken quite quickly, and instead have to speak as closely to RP as I can get otherwise the students (who have already had 2+ years of English study) have a hard time understanding me. When the instructors get together after work it takes a short while for us to "get back" our natural accents.

Back
Top Bottom