I can't understand the idiocy of my father

Soldato
OP
Perhaps your father has a certain 'image' in his head when he buys what he has bought.
Right, but i'm probably the same.

I'll try to let him be.

Only thing in his favour is that the equipment doesn't depreciate, so he can get 80-90% of his money back if he wants to sell. Unlike my pc which has zero value after 4 years.

Soldato
neocon said:
Computer technology evolves. I think hifi is stagnant.

wouldnt that mean that your more stupid for spending so much on your pc in sig... his will remain the same price where your pc will be worthless in a few years ?

why did you need the zalman cooler... the stock one does a perfectly good job ;) isnt that the same thing although on a lesser scale?

Soldato
trying not to go further off topic than i have already took this tread (sorry)

wouldnt a freezer pro have done a similar job for less?... i expect the same is with him. Cheaper leads do a similar job, but he wanted to have the best?.. after all it is his money and he's a big boy.

Soldato
neocon said:
No, Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler (Socket 775) is a few quid cheaper.

yeah a few £13 .. why did you buy the zalman because its better i assume?.. he is the same with his leads, like stellios said "And your dads just trying to hide background noise given off my crap cables"

not going to post anymore in this thread as i seem to just take it off topic and go round in circles.

The point is your dad earns his money, its his to spend how he wants accept it.

Soldato
It's his hobby! Lots of people spend thousands upon thousands on their cars/photography/computers (just using some forums on here as examples), why is a Hi-Fi any different? If you're having to go without because he has no money left from this hobby then yes there's a problem, but if it's disposable income and he's pleased with what he buys then why does it matter?

I don't see a problem with enjoying good quality music :)

Soldato
yep its your dads money presumably he's been working for at least 20 yrs so he's earned the right.

ps i'm a father in a similar position and i have a hard tine persuading myself to buy things just because i want them, we get so used to saving for the future and looking after cash but the future is now for us...

Associate
I'm using Chord Carnival speaker cable and you can tell the difference between that and standard 'bell' wire. IXOS interconnects too and yes I can tell the difference. The only way to describe it is it having more depth & presence.

Problem is that if you play a cd hooked up to an amp with crappy interconnects then your speaker cable probably won't make a great deal of difference anyway because the quality is not getting out of the cd player.

As you go up in price the difference in noticeable quality gets less and less.

Soldato
Also, FYI this is the classic audiophile idiocy:

Silver Rock Signature Knob

$485.00

Good vibrations, Bad vibrations it’s all about vibrations!! RAM would like to introduce a new signature level knob developed for the mighty Silver Rock potentiometer. The standard bakelite knob is certainly the best sounding compromise... but now Audio Consulting has taken this aspect of the Silver Rock much further. The new knobs are custom made with beech wood and bronze where the bronze is used as the insert to mount to the stem of the volume pot. The beech wood is coated several times with C37 lacquer for best sound as pointed out by Dieter Ennemoser. How can this make a difference??? Well, hearing is believing as we always say. The sound becomes much more open and free flowing with a nice improvement in resolution. Dynamics are better and overall naturalness is improved. Here is a test for all you Silver Rock owners. Try removing the bakelite knobs and listen. You will be shocked by this! The signature knobs will have an even greater effect…really amazing! The point here is the micro vibrations created by the volume pots and knobs find their way into the delicate signal path and cause degradation (Bad vibrations equal bad sound). With the signature knobs micro vibrations from the C37 concept of wood, bronze and the lacquer itself compensate for the volume pots and provide (Good Vibrations) our ear/brain combination like to hear…way better sound!!

Knobs can easily be installed on all versions of the Silver Rock potentiometer.

Yep, $485 for a knob. Heh.

Soldato
Dublove said:
I'm using Chord Carnival speaker cable and you can tell the difference between that and standard 'bell' wire. IXOS interconnects too and yes I can tell the difference. The only way to describe it is it having more depth & presence.

Problem is that if you play a cd hooked up to an amp with crappy interconnects then your speaker cable probably won't make a great deal of difference anyway because the quality is not getting out of the cd player.

As you go up in price the difference in noticeable quality gets less and less.

You can use all the fluffy audiophile terms you want—"depth", "presence", "warmth", etc.—but can you actually tell the difference? As in, can you tell the difference in a controlled, double-blind test?

If I had any I'd bet money that you couldn't :)

Back
Top Bottom