I can't understand the idiocy of my father

Soldato
My dad likes hifi. He spends loads of money on hifi.
The next thing that he buys is always going to make a huge difference to his hifi system. Then, a few months later he's looking at another item to improve his hifi. I dispair. Interconnect leads costing £500! Power cables costing £1000! It's completely insane. I can't tell the difference.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure I see the problem here, your dad has the money presumably and you aren't going without so....? It is an expensive hobby and pointless for most people as they won't be able to tell the difference between the £300 hifi and the £3,000 one but he isn't harming anyone as far as I can tell and maybe he does notice the difference between the parts so why bother about it?

Soldato
OP
He will justify it by teling me some technical info he read from a hifi magazine. Like it uses "nasa technology". Yeah, well so do teflon frying pans.

Soldato
Interconnect leads costing £500! Power cables costing £1000! It's completely insane

And you're completely justified, it's total lunacy for a home, or even a high end user.

As long as the cable is well insulated against RF, has an clean piece of large copper down the middle, it'll do the job a goodun. Homebase exterior power cabling (the orange stuff) works really well I find....most of the time I just use standard, albeit well built ICs...summat like 25 quid a pair.

For my speaker leads I use the two pair spool-supplied telephone wiring stuff.

And that power cabling's a joke.....as long as each separate has it's own mains socket, just use the manufacturer's plug....

But at the end of the day, as long as he's happy and it is his hobby, after all :D

Associate
neocon said:
He drives a 10 year old car, but thinks he's bad ass because of his hifi.
Just look at the tech spec in your sig. I imagine you put it there because you are into PC's and like getting the latest up to date kit, just like your dad does with Hi-Fi. If he works hard for his money then why not?

egt

egt

Associate
No different to upgrading your fast pc to something, erm, a bit faster.

Some ppl think it makes them cooler :)

Caporegime
[OZ] said:
Just look at the tech spec in your sig. I imagine you put it there because you are into PC's and like getting the latest up to date kit, just like your dad does with Hi-Fi. If he works hard for his money then why not?

thing is, say u upgrade a CPU, or GFX card, or screen then there is a definite and quantifiable change brought about which should be very visible.

if u were to change your PC Power cord for a hi tec ultra special non magnesium alloy one for 500 quid, you would be insane.

Associate
I cant understand how leads would cost that much! Unless it is made of gold and has a £unlimited warrenty thing.

His money his choice though.

Soldato
neocon said:
My dad likes hifi. He spends loads of money on hifi.
The next thing that he buys is always going to make a huge difference to his hifi system. Then, a few months later he's looking at another item to improve his hifi. I dispair. Interconnect leads costing £500! Power cables costing £1000! It's completely insane. I can't tell the difference.

I assume your family doesn't live in financial opulence...

Perhaps your father has a certain 'image' in his head when he buys what he has bought. Often I will convince myself to spend money on items based on what they represent, rather than their actual value.

Back
Top Bottom