• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

I don't think my FreeSync is actually working

Associate
Hi, I'm trying to definitively work out if FreeSync is actually active on my system.
In theory it should be, all my components support it (295x2, BenQ XL2730Z, 15.10 drivers) and my monitor shows FreeSync and CCC detects a FreeSync capable monitor being connected. When actually playing games though I'm just not seeing much effect. I've tried switching it on and off, enabling and disabling Xfire etc I can't see much difference.
I've also just downloaded the AMD Windmill demo specifically to show off FreeSync and sure enough, it reports a FreeSync compatible display but it shows FreeSync turned off and won't let me turn it on.

I know a lot of people rave about how great Free/GSync look and how it transforms the smoothness of games but I've never really thought much of it and I'm wondering now if that's because it not actually running.

Is there any other definitive way to confirm or deny that it's active and working or is the Windmill demo saying it's off proof that it's not working?

If so then any ideas what I can do to get it working?

On a side note has anyone else run that demo with XFire enabled and disabled on a 295x2, for me it looks pretty rubbish with XFire enabled, not very smooth and suprisingly blurry but when I create a profile for it and disable Xfire it becomes much clearer?

Thanks for any help.

Soldato
Jump onto a game that you can get screen tear, make sure the games vsync is switched off. Alt-Tab out and enable Freesync in CCC, tab back in has the screen tear gone?
When people talk about smoothness I find the effect to me most noticeable on frame rate change, meaning when you jump from say 100fps to 80 or 60 to 50fps the games continue to play very smooth..
If you already running at 100fps no drops or 60fps no drops and change to freesync then it will be very hard to notice a difference in smoothness.

The Key differences from my experience
Screen tear gone
Zero input lag vs vsync
smoother frame rate changes

edit
Good shout Tony

Associate
OP
Yeah I've got it set to 144Hz and I can see at the desktop that it's noticeably smoother when dragging windows around than on my other 60Hz screen so I'm happy that is working fine.

I've been trying to do just that actually Shankly, switch it on and off in games and try to spot any tearing etc. With Witcher 3 I can get the frame rate to fluctuate a fair bit but that game is a bit stuttery on xfire anyway so it's hard to tell. I'm also using MSI Afterburner to cap my fps at 120 so I don't go over the top of the FreeSync range and in Civ 5 Beyond Earth I definitely still get tearing when scrolling around the map when in the FreeSync range.

Soldato
Yeah I've got it set to 144Hz and I can see at the desktop that it's noticeably smoother when dragging windows around than on my other 60Hz screen so I'm happy that is working fine.

I've been trying to do just that actually Shankly, switch it on and off in games and try to spot any tearing etc. With Witcher 3 I can get the frame rate to fluctuate a fair bit but that game is a bit stuttery on xfire anyway so it's hard to tell. I'm also using MSI Afterburner to cap my fps at 120 so I don't go over the top of the FreeSync range and in Civ 5 Beyond Earth I definitely still get tearing when scrolling around the map when in the FreeSync range.

So even on windmill demo you still get screen tear when you click enable freesync?

Can you test on a single GPU see if that makes any change?

Associate
OP
Well that's one of my problems, the windmill demo shows the FreeSync switch as disabled and won't let me enable it.
As I've got a 295x2 rather than 2 separate cards I don't get a global option to disable xfire, I have to set a profile for an application and disable it there which I have done for the windmill but it makes no difference to the FreeSync switch although it does run smoother with much less blurring.

Soldato
Well that's one of my problems, the windmill demo shows the FreeSync switch as disabled and won't let me enable it.
As I've got a 295x2 rather than 2 separate cards I don't get a global option to disable xfire, I have to set a profile for an application and disable it there which I have done for the windmill but it makes no difference to the FreeSync switch although it does run smoother with much less blurring.

Honestly not sure sorry not used a GPU with two cores. I would maybe ask @AMDcare on twitter see if they can help. They normal very active.

Caporegime
Wouldn't expect any help from our neighbourhood AMD guy Joe, he's posted like twice in a month!!! Think we're all a lost cause.... :D

(on a more serious note, that's bloody terrible 'support', but I guess it's a bit more than 'the competition' provide :p)

Last edited:
Soldato

Iirc, there is a pendulum profile in CCC, you could try Nvidia's Pendulum demo:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Use No Vsync, if there's no tearing, it's working

You can also test your below 40Hz refresh rate with 'FPS Sliders' option

hNaJKRQ.png

jtajmIy.png

Use No Vsync>FPS Set your fps range

SZB8iwo.jpg

^

Lads, might want to bombard AMDmatt/Joe:p and request a FreeSync On/Enabled ticker, already have the CrossFire ticker so it should be a simple addition for instant problem solving.

:)

Soldato
Iirc, there is a pendulum profile in CCC, you could try Nvidia's Pendulum demo:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/coolstuff/demos#!/g-sync

Use No Vsync, if there's no tearing, it's working

You can also test your below 40Hz refresh rate with 'FPS Sliders' option

hNaJKRQ.png

jtajmIy.png

Use No Vsync>FPS Set your fps range

SZB8iwo.jpg
^

Lads, might want to bombard AMDmatt/Joe:p and request a FreeSync On/Enabled ticker, already have the CrossFire ticker so it should be a simple addition for instant problem solving.

:)

Thanks for that never knew that demo worked on AMD :D
Looks very smooth on my end. I can drop down to 37fps before I get screen tear on my panel.

Caporegime
I've found limiting FPS with MSI Afterburner can sometimes interfere with FreeSync Nails, so you could be seeing that. I get screen tearing if i use MSI AB to cap FPS so i stopped using it and use CCC FRTC instead. Once AMD Radeon Crimson launches the FPS range will go up to 200, so you won't have this problem. For now, just use Vsync on as FreeSync will negate all the negative benefits that come with it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll give that pendulum demo a go and I'll try turning of MSI Afterburner as well.

Yup I've got blur reduction mode turned off on the monitor Jupiter, as expected if I turn it on then the Freesync option in CCC disappears and when I turn it back off then the option returns.

Out of interest has anyone else with a 295x2 run that windmill demo and been able to toggle the Freesync option in there?

Soldato
Running the windmill demo says my Freesync is off - but it's definitely on. Using the test pattern, the red line stays smooth on all fps settings. I think the button is just buggy.
Disabling freesync in CCC makes that red "line" turn into some form of exotic dancer I think ;D

Soldato
Showing fine here. can enable and disable from the demo. What I have found though if I enable and disable from the demo then in ccc it will be turned off and re-need enabling.

Untitled.jpg

Soldato
I really hope Freesync work for you, with such little cost (compared to Gsync) but this outstanding performance, it is like gaming in heaven. :p

Please let us know does CF suttering affect the smoothness though :confused:.

Crossfire Freesync does work its been around for while now.. OP is just having an issue with his setup.

Associate
OP
Yeah there is something not quite right in my system somewhere as I have an outstanding issue with Frame Pacing causing odd clock behaviour as well.

I might try another full clear out of drivers. What's the best 'Nuke them from orbit' approach, uninstall via Catalyst Install manager and then DDU in safe mode or just go straight to DDU?

Back
Top Bottom