"I don't use anti-virus and i've not had any problems ......."

AJK

AJK

Associate
The Wilders forums are full of paranoid losers who have nothing better to do than debate the merits of running multiple security apps simultaneously rather than doing anything constructive, meaningful or fun with their computers.

I clicked that link, read 5 topics, and I'm completely convinced that paranoid is an understatement on that forum :-/

Caporegime
The first thing I do when I install windows is disable UAC, it drives me nuts ;o

While everyone was complaining about Vista, I was merrily using XP. I used to listen to people saying "UAC is so super annoying!" and wonder what great evil Microsoft had brought upon the world.

Then I upgraded to 7 and saw what UAC was. My reaction was: "This? This is what people were complaining about? Seriously?"

Now I'm not sure how effective UAC is securing anything; I know most people click it away without reading it. Even if MS made a pop up saying "Running this will wreck your ****" most people would click continue anyhow...

But as an annoyance it doesn't even register on my scales.

Soldato
I haven't used AV or anti-malware software for years, and that's on an XP machine. I have been infected once in all that time, and I noticed seconds after infection. A PC is like a car - you come to know it's typical behaviour, and a variation from that is very noticeable.

Man of Honour
While everyone was complaining about Vista, I was merrily using XP. I used to listen to people saying "UAC is so super annoying!" and wonder what great evil Microsoft had brought upon the world.

Then I upgraded to 7 and saw what UAC was. My reaction was: "This? This is what people were complaining about? Seriously?"

Now I'm not sure how effective UAC is securing anything; I know most people click it away without reading it. Even if MS made a pop up saying "Running this will wreck your ****" most people would click continue anyhow...

But as an annoyance it doesn't even register on my scales.

UAC changed a lot from Vista to Windows 7. I don't think I've seen it pop up on Windows 7 on my system yet but with Vista, you just move the mouse and it wants to confirm it.

Soldato
"I don't use anti-virus and i've not had any problems ......."
icon14.gif

fixed. and no, i'm not wasting my time justifying myself. all i'm going to say is that it works for me and the way i use my pc.

Soldato
UAC changed a lot from Vista to Windows 7. I don't think I've seen it pop up on Windows 7 on my system yet but with Vista, you just move the mouse and it wants to confirm it.

A lot of that was down to poorly written applications when Vista first came out.

Most software manufacturers have now got used to what MS are trying to do with UAC and so have improved the way their applications are written.

Win 7 does seem to have a slightly better implementation of UAC than Vista did, but most of the initial problems were caused because it was something new.

Associate
i've left UAC turned on for my win7 pc, but my 2 vista computers - its still horrid. Wish they'd fix it so it was like 7.

I haven't turned uac off completely though (something id advise against) ive just tweaked it using secpol

Associate
If people think they are invincible on the internet and think 'it will not happen to me' you need to send them that promotional program/video/link

I cannot remember the name but you click on it, and then the screen goes black and starts deleting your data from your drives. At the end it says this is only a test but this could happen to you. Get anti virus+other.

When I saw it about 8 years ago I about pee'd my little pants thinking ooooo **** :D

Soldato
http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...virus_programs_falling_behind?source=rss_news

The latest tests of consumer of antivirus software released on Tuesday show the products are declining in performance as the number of malicious software programs increases, a trend that does not bode well for consumers.

NSS Labs tested 11 consumer security suites and found that the products are less effective than a year ago as far as blocking the download and execution of malicious software programs. The company also tested if those programs detected and blocked malicious Web sites.

As if it wasn't already obvious enough - the anti-virus technology and industry is dying. They just won't admit it. Eventually the market will start contracting too.

Back
Top Bottom